243 WSSM - Dtech Upper Velocities/loads

JMette

Gentleman...woman.

48719632353_0afdd1a9ca.jpg

This is a hotrod round for an AR upper, so im looking to see if you have found any fast accurate loads... otherwise what is the point.....there are many other available cartridges to fill the accurate/slower speed niche from an ar frame rifle...

im looking for real world load results from your dtech 243 wssm upper with hunting bullets (not match) with nice groups and good velocities..22"-24" non temp sensitive powders varget, h4895 etc... 55-87 grain bullet weights. 1:10 or 1:12 whichever you've got...

has anyone found anything good.. are you using hornady brass.. Winchester brass.. old good Winchester brass or newer Winchester brass.. br2 primers. rem 9 1/2. federal 210... etc..

just looking to start a conversation and seeing if you are all getting the velocities and accuracy you'd expect from such a cartridge.... AR only no bolt guns.

The Dtech 243 WSSM I just sold
frown.gif
, was the perfect coyote rifle for my situation. (S TX fur no good, rifle used for ADC and culling WT deer).

48450272316_b9518a0426_n.jpg

Mike suggested Varget w/the 87 gr. Hornady. I did a ladder test to check for pressure signs, starting @ 36.0 gr. up to max. listed in Hornady manual. Suggest you do same w/your rifle to determine the optimum load.

The 87 gr. Hornady BTHP #2442 load suggested by Mike was the most accurate load I tested, see picture left below, hammers coyotes @ 3100 + fps mv. Using FC brass, 210 Fed. primers:

35573035422_acf1b4333c_n.jpg
48450263111_f9fbf69546_n.jpg

Wanting a heavier (wt./built) bullet, started w/ladder test of H450 behind 100 gr. Nosler solid base SP (Powder and bullets no longer available
frown.gif
)came up w/a 3000 fps mv load that shot same point of aim as the Hornady load, and deer are larger target
lol.gif
. Not quite the tack driver that the 87's were, but still a solid moa load. Used FC brass, 210 Fed. on these, as well. See target right above, shot same date, same sight setting as the 87 gr. load. ETA: 1" square paster for size comparison; don't recall measurements on groups.

I like the FC brass; it seems to size a bit easier than the WW. Never had to discard either FC or WW due to loose primers (probably due to working up w/ladder test, seeking accuracy, not velocity) or split necks.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Most of the early 243 wssm Mike built were on a slow twist barrel I think a 12. They don't shoot the heavier bullets as well as the lighter ones. I shoot a factory duplication load using 414 or 760 with 55 grain bullets. I also like up to a 70 grain bullet.

Mine was a 1:10. Never tried anything lighter than the 87 gr. and they did shoot better than the 100's.

Regards,
hm

1-8, 22" barrel, shooting 87 vmax at 3250 fps over varget into small groups. And for deer 80 gr ttsx, also over varget and they might shoot better than the vmax.

Old winchester brass so far, but have several bags of new I haven't tried. I would try the Hdy, but the Win for $16 per 50 was impossible to pass up. I will very likely never use up what I have. I anneal in a pan of water with a small oxy/acetylene tip. The normal propane wasn't getting those thick necks hot enough to anneal. Might be my particular torch.

thanks,
ya was just curious on the velocities and groups... im still waiting to get some free time to work up some 80 blitz in a 1:10 24". had pretty good groups with the 70 sbk running around 3440.

about the annealing deal. ya i've got a one torch annealeez and its pretty tough to get them annealed. i've got 450 templaq melting about 1/4" down past the shoulder and im still not got the necks quite annealed yet.. they are thick dudes... need two torch setup or a hotter faster flame than im getting w/propane.

hm1996 thanks i believe those 87s shoot good as thats all ive heard mike talk about for "pet loads". the purpose of our rigs are flat fast shooting for coyote hunting. i can get others ar frame calibers to shoot the heavier bullets in the 3000+ so was looking for a totally different situation with the wssm. but i believe we'll get there.. just a different animal.

I dont why anyone would want my opinion...I can't even get my buddies to chamber but I would look at the temp stable powders like h4895 and 55 to 60 grain pills. H4895 seems to be a magic powder for me as of late in several rifles.

Last edited:
I have both a 223 WSSM and 243 WSSM and shoot Winchester 760 or H414. My 223 is 1 - 10 and I shoot 50 gr Blitzking at over 4180. The 234 is 1 - 12 and I shoot 55 gr Blitzking in at at just over 4100. The harder I push them the better they shoot. Start at 49 gr and work up. I'm at 54 with my 243 and 52 1/2 in 223.

They are both in AR's

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JMettebut i believe we'll get there.. just a different animal.

Any updates on your load quest? I'm considering a 243 WSSM Dtech upper and reading through old threads. Figured I'd check in to see what you've come up with.

Thanks!

Back