Wolf season starts tomorrow 9-15-19 at daylight.

jcs271

Well, I have to sleep fast because I plan to be on a remote mountain top at daylight tomorrow morning. Hoping for the best. Let the games begin!

Good hunting. Looking forward to pictures and.......
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Well, opening day was a great adventure but NO sight or sound of wolves. The area I hunted is some thick timber in major grizzly country. The trail is narrow and really overgrown, it is also one of the few trails that spooks me because on top of being so tight, there is a large creek running through the bottom and it is often hard to hear anything other than rushing water....

XP4MXZOl.jpg

lmucoHJl.jpg

the view off the side of the trail shows the lack of visibility. This is why I chuckle when guys talk about getting their "long range wolf rigs" sighted in. Any shots here are going to be inside 25yds and frequently half that distance.

G2932EQl.jpg

wMAwx5Jl.jpg

I hiked in about 4 miles on this trail but the only sign I saw was this older pile of scat

PBGfXNBl.jpg

I did find some seriously large mushrooms......

uwQUyKpl.jpg

Because this area is so thick and the bear density is high, I will only howl in an attempt to confirm wolves are in the area before I make a sound on my call. Lots of places I will just get in a good spot and call but that is just not a safe way to hunt this drainage.

In the one spot that is open enough to call, I heard some noise off to my side about 60 seconds into my sequence. It was a Marten scampering through the blow down looking for a meal. I got some video but no good still shots. It was fun to watch. I got back to the truck about 1pm, went home napped and then made a quick trip out again that night.

I have several short adventure planned around work this week and then back at it hard next weekend. "Hope springs eternal in the wolf hunters heart"!

Tagging for updates...

12 more days till I get to Montana. Will be out hunting for 6 days

Looks like a lot of rain out that way with some snow up top

Last edited:
Good luck burnsome. I hit it hard again this weekend, no joy. 3-4 inches of snow above 4700'. No tracks, nada! Maybe tomorrow.
smile.gif

We have wolves here in the UP of Michigan but no season. Several years ago there was a hunt but the flat-landers down-state got a referendum on the ballot to place the wolf back on the protected species list...Sounds like that is going to change though in the next few years.

Is calling wolves similar to coyotes? I've never accidentally called one in on a coyote stand...

I’m gonna follow along too! Sending in my VA paperwork so I can get a reduced fee tag over there. Hopefully by December I can be trying to find one around Bonners where we have friends. Dunno if I’d bring my longbow though! Haha good luck!

Back