Got taught a couple lessons this am..

Jim Byers

Anyone else ever get lazy and leave your gear/rifle on the edge of a 2 track while you run to get your rig after a stand?

Well my buddy John and I both did this am and as we walked back to the rig I thought probably see a coyote now.. Well, no more than I thought this I see something suspicious on a ridge 300 yards away... Yep.... coyote laying there watching us and not a weapon between us. Lol.

I also learned that my 50vmax and a 223 are in fact quite inadequate for coyotes.... Well at least at 770 yards they are. Lol. Temptation got the better of me when a male hung up and refused to budge. I ranged, dialed 23.25 moa... Wind seemed right in my face so I sent the first on with a zero wind hold.. my splash was 3 moa left so I made a quick correction and followed up... Woop! He spun and started moving off. Missed my only follow up.. [beeep].. sure wish we could have found him but upon reflection I doubt the 50-70 ftlbs caused much expansion..

I'm tickled I made the shot but at the same time I wish I would have let him go. Even perfect placement may be inadequate..

I need to pack the 6.5 if I want to try such foolishness...

We killed a nice male the previous morning on the exact stand.... Beautiful pics I have but....I'm pic challenged..

A fellow that goes by the name Murphy has a law named after him. If you allow it to happen it will. Been there done that. It sure would have been nice to find him and see just what the bullet did.

Back