Hunting coyotes in eastern MT

k9jones

I am planning a trip to northeastern MT for 10-12-19, and would love to come out a few days early and coyote hunt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have my own gear, but a Guide, hunting buddy, or land owner, any thing to help me hunt a few yotes.

Hope you hook up with somebody but if you don’t you might want to subscribe here for some help. Costs me $30 bucks a year & well worth it, just get Montana. Shows public hunting areas, land boundaries & property owners .

https://www.onxmaps.com/

Happy hunting !!!

Northeastern Mt is a very general direction .Narrow it down a bit and maybe I can give a little help for a do it your self hunt.

Get some BLM MT maps and look there is 10's of thousands of public lands out there.

Example

http://publiclands.org/products.php/MT/370953

Opheim a small city NE MT.
There is a huge wildlife area up there that borders Canada
If you cant find a calling spot just there I'll eat my map...

Stop in to our FWP sight and check out the reg's.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations/nongameShooting.html

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations/predatorShooting.html

About all you need for predator hunting would be a "State use permit" like $10 bucks.
Let us know how you do.

Kirsch outdoor chip for my truck GPS was a great addition for my MT forays(I have the old 10 state chip, I think it is eight or nine states now as they have so much info on them). I also have a loose-leaf binder that I keep with all the BLM maps for the area I'm going to hunt. The GPS is great for knowing where you are at but the maps let you layout your travel routes the night before. BLM maps also Reclamation lands, state land, reservation boundries etc.

Buy your BLM maps from the local BLM office via telephone, they are half the price of doing it on line.

I have loose-leaf binders set up for MT,WA,CO,NV,AZ and NM. You can get two maps in each page of the binder using HD clear cover pages.

Things to do. If you have the time many of the local towns are so small they play 6 man High School football there, the games are fun to watch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWS If you have the time many of the local towns are so small they play 6 man High School football there, the games are fun to watch.

Some are so small it takes 3 or 4 towns combined to get a 6 man team together.
Most small towns have combined schools to be able to fund them.

Many counties have more resident cattle the people.

I know, I hunted Petroleum county(it is bigger than some states)and it has only one town Winnett the county seat. It has one grocery store, one gas stop(last time I was there, there was a sign on the pump, "ignore the numbers, they don't work") and two bars. The restaurant closed at 7 pm so don't be late or you don't eat(great pies though). The sharptails, huns and pheasants were fun though.

Last edited:
There were 494 people, 225 households, and 143 families residing in the county. The population density was 0.3 inhabitants per square mile (0.12/km2). There were 324 housing units at an average density of 0.2 per square mile (0.077/km2)

The county has a total area of 1,674 square miles (4,340 km2), 1,655 square miles (4,290 km2) land and 19 square miles (49 km2) (1.1%) water.

That's bigger then some states.
There is no acting government in the county anymore a hale storm demolished the courthouse and was never rebuilt.
All the governing is split between Philips, Fergus, and Garfield, as is the HP sheriff ext. I think.

Guys thanks for all the replies.

Jetman, I am going to be bird hunting near Plentywood (Sherdian County), but I can't get a room in Plentywood until 10/13 (Sunday Night), so I am going to stay a few days in a motel in Montana, but near Williston ND.

I have ordered BLM maps for section 6 and 7, but I think they aren't released until mid August. Correct me if I am wrong but don't you have to get written permission to hunt coyotes on any BLM land?

Even leased(grazing) BLM lands are open to hunting.

BLM maps wouldn't be section 6&7 they would be titled Opheim, Scobey, Plentywood, and Culberson you need to get them from the BLM. That pretty much covers all the non reservation lands in the NE part of the state.

Federal Waterfowl Production Areas are shown on the BLM maps also and are open to hunting.

Section 6&7 are the Montana state districts, a list of lands contracted by the state to allow public access is available from the state, you have to check in to them, some are game specific, some you need reservation. It is called the Block Management program.

Here's a link to Block Management

http://fwp.mt.gov/export/sites/FwpPublic/hunting/hunterAccess/blockman/region6/

Last edited:
No permeation needed for anything on BLM, Yellow orange color on the map, BOR same color sometimes reddish, lands.
State trust lands blue on the maps are similar put you need State use permit you can buy on line. You can camp on all the above lands too.
Get your maps here from BLM
http://plicmapcenter.org/MT/

Block management lands do not cover coyotes and there private land , you would have to ask to hunt coyotes on them.

There isn't very much actual BLM land in the Plentywood area but there are quite a few waterfowl production areas that are scattered through the area and state lands that will give you plenty of coyote calling spots.

Well guys I got my BLM maps in today. I ordered 5 maps. Glendive (2010), Sidney (2013), Culbertson (2009), Plentywood (2003), and Opheim (2017).

I have a few questions. The numbers behind each map above indicates the edition. Do they change very often or is like the Plentywood map of 2003 the most up to date map for that area?

2nd question. Can I hunt the yellow blocks which indicate Public Lands and Monuments (admin. by BLM)?

3rd question. On the Opheim map, I see a lot of pink blocks which indicate Bankhead-Jones land use. Can you hunt these areas?

Lastly, I have a Garmin Alpha dog tracking / shocking system. Garmin sells cards for each state . The Alpha can read the cards and shows property owners, property lines, and an aerial overview of the land. Have any of you seen the Montana card and does it show these BLM lines?

I use OnX maps on my Garmin It shows all .
The maps don't change much, If you got them through the BLM office there as new as they have printed.
Yes normally yellow, orange is BLM and hauntable.
Pure yellow is Indian reservations and have there own set of rules.
Bankhead , pink is also counted as BLM just a different Government lands.
All the blue is hauntable also if you get a $10 state use permit.

K9, not a lot of block management around Plentywood. I'm from Plentywood originally and the biggest piece is just south of town on my friend's ranch and it gets hammered by pheasant hunters. In that little NE section of Montana there is very little block management.

Back