30-30 for bear calling

Tracker0721

I’ve got my 270 for any rifle hunting of big game I wanna do, bow hunt mostly, but for bear calling in the timber I’m thinking a lever action 30-30 would be good. Any suggestions on a decent bullet for 100 yard and closer black bear? I’ve only taken whitetail with my 30-30 and that was a random box of core locks my dad handed me from the closet as a kid.

Tracker,My first black bear was shot over bait with my marlin 36 at 30 yds 150 grains did not run but 15 yards.also my wife shot one at 30 yds over bait it ran maybe 20 yds.she was using the same 30.30 with 150 or 160 grain. I would use a heavy bullet that would expand well,like a soft point.I use hornady lever revolution for coyotes because I hunt for the fur,but I would not use them for bear.IMO are you hunting over bait?

Good luck

Ive been using the Rem Core locks this year on hogs and its been an absolute hammer. Granted every shot ive connected on has been 30 yards and under, it has done very well for me.

Although i have absolutely no doubt it would work on Black Bear, I would really choose my 35 Rem. Over the 30-30 if it was indeed for a close encounter with a bear.

Ill be out calling bears with a 1949 marlin 30-30 starting august 1st, hopefully ill have a couple success pics to post up here next month

I have called in several bears while trying to call varmints in N. Az.

They run in all pumped up, NOT like hunting over bait. Just like coyotes, they may not stop....just a thought for you to consider. I had one run in and stand up in the road. I swear, he looked 30 feet tall.

Since you live in bear country, a good investment would be a Browning in 358 Winchester.

I carried one old Korean War navy ship captain that said he had never been as scared as when that bear ran in and stood up on us, said it was worse than a MIG attack on his ship!

Another multiple purpose weapon would be a rifled barrel shotgun, they are very, very accurate!

If you have an existing shotgun, consider getting an extra rifles slug barrel.

Also, my Rem 11/87 with an extra full choke patterns Rem 3" 000 buckshot 100% in 20" at 40 yards.

Two kinds of hunting top all that I have done, hunting lions with dogs while riding mules, and hand calling in black bears. A bear can sound like a volkswagen coming through the woods, and you can hear them for a ways off. They can growl, snarl, and clack their teeth trying to intimidate another predator that may have a wounded deer that they want to take away.

A reliable Rem 7400/7600 in 30/06 would be one heck or a rifle, carbine best with these rifles being very accurate as a general rule if you keep them clean.

Use every possible scent control available if you want to call bears.

probably any of the run of the mill 30-30 bullets would work, flat point 150's or 170's. love me some 30-30, there is a reason why it was so popular back in the day.

I’d tell you the heaviest core loct offering. I’d pick around nose as well being it’s made to expand quickly.

Realistically any 30-30 offering will get the job done. I’ve got 2 Remington 7600 special run 18.5” barreled carbines chambered in 35 Remington and 35 whelen and a marlin 100 th anniversary chambered in 35 Remington, a 450 bushmaster Ruger American, a Ruger 77/44, and an original 44 mag semi auto carbine, and I keep my S&W 329NG strapped to me....let me know if you need back up.lol

Last edited:
I’m sighted in with my 30-30 and 160 grain Hornady flex tips! Those pack a lot more punch then the core loks! Found a lot of bears for our new Aug 1st opener! Gonna be a fun season!

Originally Posted By: Tracker0721I’m sighted in with my 30-30 and 160 grain Hornady flex tips! Those pack a lot more punch then the core loks! Found a lot of bears for our new Aug 1st opener! Gonna be a fun season!

I live in 121 but ill be up in your neck of the woods (101) august 1st calling bears

Called in to 15 yards, dropped him with the .30-30
223647.jpg

Originally Posted By: SlagiattCalled in to 15 yards, dropped him with the .30-30
223647.jpg

Nicely done sir!

Originally Posted By: BMeyerCongratulations buddy, always great to see your success!

Glad to finally get the chance to test out the beautiful call you made. Called in a doe and 2 bears with it in just a handful of sets. Works great. Cant get back out hunting until friday morning, but i intend to post up another bear pic featuring that call soon.

Back