Help me out with a 6 creed build.

SEcowboy

So I started down this rabbit hole of non traditional, fancy calibers and have pretty much gotten lost, 5 or 6 times, and realized my old 22-250 might be found lacking. I don’t know yet. But. Have pretty much Ended up here after research on the 6 creed. Hoping some may share some experiences with in AR platform. I want to do 18” barrel, could go 20 but will be suppressed. Strictly night time hunting. Yotes and hogs and well. Maybe a few other critters. I really almost leaned to the 22creed or valk. But... let me know any suggestions y’all may have. Or if you think I’m heading down right road.

I am not expert on any of those rounds. But one thing i know is that is a lot of gun powder, and a lot of gas, for a gas operated system.

With 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39 and such you really don't gain huge amounts of velocity by going with really long barrels. With the calibers you mentioned above you do, due to all that case capacity.

If you go 18 inch, go rifle length gas system, and get an adjustable gas block. That rifle is going to be hard on adjustable gas blocks and hard on your suppressor.

Double check your suppressor is rated for such a cartridge.

In a barrel that short, if it were me, I'd lean toward the 243/6mm bore size cartridges over a 22 Cal.

I just put a new barrel on my AR10 and for me it was between the 6 Creedmoor and 6.5 Creedmoor. It was almost a coin flip but in the end, I went with the 6.5 Creed.

I just took a brand new unfired 18in 308 barrel off of my Seekins SP10 if you're looking for one of those.

Not sure why the 6x68 is not on the list. lighter ar15 platform, accurate as heck, shoots 55 to 90 grain bullets very well. I use 90 grain accubonds for thick skinned critters about 2900fps. 55's and 70's for yotes. Lots less powder than 6 creed. Less weight, longer barrel life. I think its a no brainer especially for the distances of night time shooting. That said its not a bad longer distance round. There is post on here about an antelope at over 600yrds.

I would be tempted for 6 or 6.5 creed for daytime distance shooting or competition shooting but I'm not sure I would go for one in a full size ar10 platform as a first choice

as stated above.. 6.5 grendal or the 264 LBC version would be a nice choice

Last edited:
The 6 Creed and 6.5 Creed won't have anything over other choices when you factor in a shorter barrel and consider night time hunting distances. So why go large frame?

Why go through the potential aggravation of getting a gas gun to function correctly with a shorter barrel and larger bore to chamber ratio? Gas timing, dwell time, etc. are all finicky to start with then add a suppressor... could be heartache on the horizon.

I gave up on the 6.5 Creed gas gun game because to extract the potential the cartridge has to offer meant hitting high pressure signs and destroying brass. Others experienced the same... few like to mention it as they are invested in their projects.

While exceedingly boring to many, I find the good ole' .308 Win. to do what I need in a gas gun platform at night time hunting distances with ease of tuning my various rifles, both 16" mid-length gas and 18" rifle length gas.

I hunt mainly with either a 6.5 Grendel 18", 16" and 20" or a 6.8 SPC in the same barrel lengths. They are lighter weight, easy to tune, easy to load for, and extremely effective on hogs and coyote... soft shooting as well.

6.5 Grendel 18"

6.5 Grendel 20"

6.5 Grendel 20"

Bowhntr6pt said:
The 6 Creed and 6.5 Creed won't have anything over other choices when you factor in a shorter barrel and consider night time hunting distances. So why go large frame?

Thanks for the suggestions, I know alot of what you said makes sense. truth is i am prolly geeting greedy and just wanting something i don't have, which would make the grendel an option, and all along i was saying when i was ready for a new gun I was going 22-250 ar, so i guess i was just ready for ar10, but with so many new calibers, so many choices, and so FEW dollars

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SEcowboy
Bowhntr6pt said:

Thanks for the suggestions, I know alot of what you said makes sense. truth is i am prolly geeting greedy and just wanting something i don't have, which would make the grendel an option, and all along i was saying when i was ready for a new gun I was going 22-250 ar, so i guess i was just ready for ar10, but with so many new calibers, so many choices, and so FEW dollars

Aero M5 Upper, Lower, BCG, LPK, SLR Adjustable Gas Block, and a 16" Ballistic Advantage barrel... shoot bullets in the 110gr to 130gr weight range and you will have a soft shooting large frame with bullets that are fast.

Below is one of five M5's I've built... reliable, soft shooting, not too heavy, and packs a [beeep] good punch in a relatively compact package when not suppressed.

Here is another with a SS barrel and Leupold MK IV scope.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: longrange454Bowhnrt

What stock is that on the 18" Grendel. In the process of building a 243 LBC.

MagPul UBR in Foliage green.

I built a 6mm creedmoor a few months ago and I'm very happy with it. However, if you are looking for a night hunting gun and not likely to shoot past 100 yards, I would think a 6.5 Grendale or 308 win may be better options.

Thanks for the input. I have those! Lol It will be a night time now and when I’m tired of 6.5 I’ll prolly switch this over to daytime. Thanks everyone who commented. I’ll let y’all know how iit turns out.

Back