7.62X39 vs .223 for medium sized game?

762x39

I realize neither one of these calibers is ideal for the job, but which would be most effective on say deer sized and below.

thats going to be dependent on several things

1) your choice of a projectile. both calibers will have commonly available projectiles that will be suited to the job - although that will be the smaller of the two categories - and those that are NOT suited to the job. Know thy bullet.

2) your personal proficiency with the firearm launching said projectile. If you cant shoot the gun for shinola, doesnt matter how good of a bullet you pick.... your performance - when it counts the most, that being attempting to help meat attain room temperature - is going to come up lacking

3) range to target. and by that i mean know the limitations of both YOUR ability and the projectile's ability.

If you're asking a bullet that's minimum expansion velocity is (just for example) 1800 FPS to expand and do damage on your intended target but the distance and velocity loss result in the bullet impacting your target at 1500 fps... you're probably not going to be very happy with the end result. On the flip side with same said imaginary bullet with a 1800 min expansion threshold... if you choose a target distance that makes the bullet impact it at 2400 FPS - you're not only above the minimum, but probably much closer to the intended operating range of said projectile.

or vise-versa - you're a great shot at 100 yds freestanding, but a minute-of-barn door shooter at 250 yds... well you see what i'm getting at.

either caliber is capable of taking down a deer if all of the above are taken into consideration. both will fail equally as spectacularly if you dont. both calibers are considered "intermediate" cartridges and as such extra consideration needs to be taken vs hunting the same targets with more conventional "full bore" cartridges like a 30-06, etc.

hth

If you go 7.62x39 and plan to use steel case or surplus type ammo, from what I have seen on YouTube of people doing tests with ballistic gel, the soft points perform better than the hp's for expansion.

Personal opinion, both will probably do but as stated above, know your projectile and shoot well.
I would personally choose the 30 cal over the 223 if I had a choice of the two and the 7.62x39 shot worth a dang.

My parameters for this hunt would be ranges of 200 yd or less, using a 123 grain soft point, fired from a Ruger bolt action rifle. Deer in the area, generally under 140 lbs.

Originally Posted By: crapshootIf you go 7.62x39 and plan to use steel case or surplus type ammo.

Not if you reload.

There is very little difference between the 7.62 and a 30/30.
the 30/30 probably has killed more deer then any other round in history...

Yes, I do reload for it, and the .223. Being in Commiefornia, you almost have to,since they change the hunting ammo requirements about every 10 minutes out here. Non-lead for everything after this July.

The bigger diameter bullet will win every time especially if there not lead. Bigger entry, more damage, and bigger exit hole if it exits for a better blood trail.

30 cal is my optimum choice for deer. You can always trade your rifle/s in for a 30-06. The. You have one caliber that will work from mice to moose!

Last edited:
I have a .308 Winchester bolt gun which I have taken a few deer with, but I just really like shooting the smaller 7.62. It's a joy to shoot all day long. Thanks for your opinion.

If you are picking between the two use your 7.62...bigger diameter bullet, more energy, bigger hole, and quicker dispatch than a 223 hands down. I would STILL tell you use your 308 it’s not like you’re going to go shoot ALL DAY LONG at a big game animals so there’s no reason to worry about the 7.62 being able to shoot all day long comfortably because it’s funner and easier on your shoulder. I know your just waiting for someone to tell you it’s OK and it works well. I still would tell you to use your 308 as it’s designed for big game. The 7.62 was not but it’s your gun and your choice so good luck with your venture. Yes the 7.62 will work as the 223 will but is it either an effective cartridge for deer no, will it kill them sure. If you flinch or if there’s brush and your shot doesn’t hit your Mark perfectly thats where the 308 will prevail...close accounts with more energy and a bigger, heavier bullet. I would tell you to use your 7.62 for practicing all day to get used to using your 308 for once or twice a shot durring deer season. Your deer are going to DRT and be dispatched instantly 99.9% of the time with a bigger bullet and more energy. I’m just one man and one opinion so good luck in whatever you decide. If you flinch or if there’s brush and your shot does not hit its Mark perfectly that 308 will prevail close counts with more energy in a bigger bullet I would tell you to use your 7.62 for practicing all day to get used to using your 308 for once or twice a shot in a season on an animal but will be dispatched instantly 99.9% of the time bullet in more energy just one man one opinion good luck whatever you decide. Lastly I’ve never seen a 7.62 shoot under MOA yet. The round was designed for AK-47s and SKS’s to make it rain with a little bit more knockdown power than a 223 . Most rifles chambered in this round were made for “close counts”...horseshoes and hand grenades not precision shooting. I’m sure their are rifles out there that’ll do it but not many. I would guess a Ruger American bolt might be up to the task but most guns that are chambered in that round or semi automatics and shoot pie plate groups at 50 yards. I know your user name so I’m sure you have a big love for the round so I don’t mean any pun or disrespect but that round just inherently inaccurate unless you build a custom bolt action for the round. If you reload you can download your 308’s to shoot with as little amount of recoil as your 7.62 for practice and I will guarantee it will still be more accurate. I know a lot of people have used the round for children and women who can’t tolerate a lot of recoil and it’s definitely a good starter around to get used to shooting guns or small frame shooter. I tell you to keep having fun and shoot your 7.62, it will help you become a better marksman and you can practice all day long with cheap FMJ ammo for when the count shots are really needed with your bigger rifle. It will help you tolerate and get use to recoil as well the more you shoot. Besides it’s more humane and you owe it to youself and respect to the animal to dispatch it instantly as the bigger caliber will do more way more effectively.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crapshootIf you go 7.62x39 and plan to use steel case or surplus type ammo,

why would you suggest runing crap steel case ammo like that when hornady loads a 123gr SST in the x39 as production ammo? its part of their black line and thats an excellent bullet for hunting if you're taking your 7.62x39 out in the field for deer sized game....

and while that SST load does carry good energy downrange - 1136 ft/lbs @ 100 yds.. something like the speer 223 75gr gold dot SP holds 1088 ft/lbs at the same distance, so not that huge of an energy drop at the same range when fired from a 223 @ roughly 2775 fps.

I didn't suggest he use it. I just merely suggested that if his Intentions were to use it, to use the soft point instead of the hp ammo due to better expansion tests.

Well, soon(by the time deer season rolls around this year) i'll have to use a non-lead bullet in the X39, so that complicates things further. I'm looking into either Barnes or Berger all coppers.

Test the Barnes in your 7.62 and see how it groups. The problem I've ran into besides all copper bullets never grouping with a darn is what ever all copper so called expanding bullet I've used on deer sized game most animals act like they aren't hit and run for the hills with little or no blood trails...and this is with a perfect broadside double lung shot at 30-06 full velocities. That's why I stress to use your 308. I'd also pick the lightest bullet option available so the extra velocity will make sure the bullet expands causing as much conetic energy transfer as possible. What ever caliber you use I would change your aim point and aim directly for the shoulder to brake and shatter bone so the animal goes down where it stands. I tried this with a 44 mag Ruger 77/44 and 265 grain cast I casted and loaded at 1750 fps last year. I shot three deer in a group. Two broad size double lung shots. Both went 120 and 140 yards before dropping. The bullets never expanded but shattered rib bones that grenaded the lungs and heart...and both still went a county mile. The third I shot directly under me. ShAttered ribs on the way in and blew half the hart apart. That deer collapsed. It still kicked about 15 yards before expiring. IMO Non expanding and slower bullets are not a good mix for deer size game if you are trying to anchor them on the spot. This year I'm going to try almost pure lead at the same velocity and see if the softer bullet will act like a nosler ballistic tip and expand/explode to anchor a deer. If you could use the 123 grain vmax I'd say go for it but all copper expanding your going to still harvest the animal if hit in the vitals it's just how far your going to have to track it.

All I know is if I had to use an all copper bullet on deer it sure wouldn't be in a .224 diameter configuration. The 223 is controversial for most members here saying it's not enough bullet for a 25 lb coyote...not me...but I sure wouldn't use an all copper bullet out of it for anything. At least with the 7.62 if the bullet doesn't expand you'll have a bigger bleader hole in and hopefully out so you will have a better blood trail to follow. That was the idea with my 44 mag. I still had very little blood to follow with a 44 cal diameter exit hole.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I'm stuck with a state law that says after July, I have to use non-lead projectiles when hunting all game animals. Unless there is an affordable alternative to all copper, that's what I'm stuck with in ANY caliber. Don't let them get away with this in your state.

Gotta protect those elusive condors that taxpayers have spent hundreds of millions of $$ on. Too bad they dont think the same of people, unborn or just about born.

Dont be so bitter. After all taxpayers (all of us) have invested MILLIONS in your beloved condors. O hope you enjoy them as I will never see on cause Ill never come to KALIFORNA.

Buy some copper bullets and do your part while enjoying the buzzards

762 I would try the barnes ttxs bullets if they expand with your velocities. I've shot them in a 22-250 and 30-06 both with devastating results. Coyotes with the the 224 cal. and Elk and a Mountain Goat with the 30 cal.

I’ve seen ugly ,dirty looking condors when hunting in AZ. I saw a pair and thought they were turkey vultures and snuck up on them drinking from the river when I was calling coyotes. They have a face only a mother could love. Their heads remind me of a coyote with mange. Nasty! Wait till they try and pass an expanded TSX and bleed out internally on the spot. You’ll be a non hunting state soon in liberal central. Somebody needs to grow a pair and take charge of that so called state. The last time I was there I caught a 7’ mako shark in Dana Point. I took it to the dock so I could process it to feed my friends and family and thought I was going to lynched for doing so. There were weirdos everywhere pushing their dogs in strollers dressed up in baby clothes! It feels like I’m going to Mars every time I visit your state. Lol. Eventually all your protected mountain lions are going to kill and eat all the tree huggers over there anyways.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. The attitudes out here are disgusting to say the least and full of hypocrisy. Copper is a heavy metal and every bit as
poisonous as lead in enough concentration. It is less efficient in cleanly killing than lead, therefore leaving more cripples even with good accurate fire. Makes no sense to me.

Don't under estimate the Barnes tts.
There a fantastic bullet, I have never been disappointed ,and yes they will group under a 1/2 if you get the right powder/ speed combination. We have no restrictions on what we shoot, we choose to shoot copper because they shoot so well and there DRT attitude. They like it fast and a little jump to the lands, gots see what your gun likes. we use them in every thing from 17 to 338 to 4570 OUT STANDING. BUT you HAVE to try them, they do tend to be a little pricy for blasting 200/ 300 at prairie dogs there I go cheep, Nosler...

Back