PRAIRIE DOG HUNT 204 RUGER AR15

Some great shooting, I was cracking up at the ones that went flying. I only got to do that once about 15 yrs ago. Went antelope hunting south of Gillette Wy. There was a large piece of the property that was loaded with PD. We were using an Encore pistol in 308 and a Contender in 338 JDJ. I got to shoot at them for 2 days out to about 350 yds. We would shoot for a while then drive farther in the field and set up again. Some day I hope to go back, It was a blast.
Tarey

Originally Posted By: GNERGYSome great shooting, I was cracking up at the ones that went flying. I only got to do that once about 15 yrs ago. Went antelope hunting south of Gillette Wy. There was a large piece of the property that was loaded with PD. We were using an Encore pistol in 308 and a Contender in 338 JDJ. I got to shoot at them for 2 days out to about 350 yds. We would shoot for a while then drive farther in the field and set up again. Some day I hope to go back, It was a blast.
Tarey

I do this every year I get drawn for a WY Antelope tag(only missed one year in the past eight). We hunt antelope a day or two, to tag out, and then while the processor turns the goats into packaged meat, we go P-Dog shooting. The plague has taken out a bunch of towns, but some are making a slow comeback, and we always seem to meet ranchers, more than happy to direct us to their ranch to thin towns on their property. I take several AR-15s, in various cartridges, but my two most favorite are the 204 Ruger, launching 39 gr. Blitz Kings, and the 6mm WOA, launching 65 gr. VMaxs. Both do well in WY's ever present wind, and both put P-dogs in the air. I have to give the 6mm WOA the nod for the longest distance shots, but I have killed a fair number, with the 204 Ruger, at silly distances. If there was ever a perfect P-Dog cartridge, my choice would be the 204 Ruger. I have a very nice 22-250 Rem. Varmint variant Howa, but the heat that rifle generates, it is only good for a few shots, and it has to cool. I get about double the rounds out of the 204 Ruger, before it has to sit out to cool. And the fast followup, of the semi-auto, has cost a bunch of P-dogs their lives.
grin.gif

Squeeze

Back