How long could you last...

GC

If you were attacked and knocked to the ground by a determined attacker armed with a knife trying to kill you, how would you fare in this situation? Also to a point, in light of some recent discussion about revolver vs. semi auto and malfunctions in close quarter contact, notice what happens in the second scenario. How many CCW guys carry an easily accessible backup weapon of some sort? Could you even get to that if tied up like this? How long could you grapple and ground fight before exhausted?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=La56KNz9FFA

EDIT TO ADD THIS VIDEO. From standing start...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CTwH-PS9ydM

Knocked to the ground and attacker has a knife. That is a tough situation.

Even if you are armed, they Already have the momentum and a head start.

i mean.. if i got attacked by a UFC fighter... i'd probably be screwed.

the average schmooball on the street... unless i'm blindsided/ambushed i would like to believe i can throw my weight around enough to hold my own. i'm not suggesting i would get away unscathed, but i'd do everything in my power to make sure the badguy was on the gurney next to me when the wambamulance got there.

and yes i have a backup weapon (assisted open knife) on me. however its also on my strong side, but thats related to where the pockets are.

Lucky for everyone no trained UFC knife wielding (women or men) are surprise attacking individuals on the street. Handgun, probably just as likely to shoot yourself as your attacker in a ground and pound situation. At 59, even though I run,exercise and used to practice karate. I would be lucky to last 2 minutes with someone, half my age,trained,my size, on top hand to hand. That said they would not be wearing a helmet, so eyes become a very good target with my non dominant hand. All it takes is a second to change the outcome.

Grappling / wrestling like that is very tough, if you are not conditioned for it, it is very exhausting, very quickly. Especially against a stronger opponent. I did that when I was much younger. Add true adrenaline, not just nervousness, into the mix and you'll feel like a wet pile of noodles.
I do carry a knife always, but not always my CCW.

To nobody in particular, remember that you get the fight you get. Not necessarily the one you want.

23yrs on the mat, 15 wearing a singlet for competition, and 12 wearing pijamas for this reason. If I carry a gun, I carry a knife, and if I carry a knife, I carry grappling and striking experience. At my size and physical appearance, I’m rarely considered an easy target, however, so playing too many “what if” games doesn’t make much sense. My mother in law and my wife need much greater instruction on preventing this kind of situation than a grown, physically fit man.

The number of people who are not aware of their surroundings just amazes me. I try to be aware at all times and keep my head on a swivel.

Being caught off guard is a bad start to a bad situation. One of my big fears.

I'd last long enough to get myass handed to me... unless I could get a round in him first. Situational awareness can be a great early warning system and can help prevent many situations.

Your best and perhaps your ONLY Defense is paying attention on what is going on around you.

Know your state's Castle Doctrine in how it relates to your home and your car in dealing with threats to you and your family.

The crap that is being let out of jails now is unbelievable. If Joe Public had to serve 5 days a year helping jailers, similar to jury duty, our country would have much different laws.

It purely depends on the situation and the people in that situation. If you're caught off guard by an attacker with a knife I'll just let you know now you're going to get cut up at the very least or stabbed several times so go ahead and plan on that right now before the situation takes place. Adrenaline will probably set in and if you're not stabbed too bad you might be able to fight back. Or there might be blood squirting out of your jugular and you'll lay there and not do anything except bleed to death. Lots of what ifs and mights and maybes playing out that scenario in your head.

How long would I last in a fight for my life? Until my attacker killed me or I killed my attacker. That's the only real solid answer I can give anyone. Am I fighting a professional or semi professional fighter,a thug,a lunatic,a person on PCP,an old man,a woman perhaps?....Too many variables to consider. If it happens I'll either die or live. I'm prepared for either honestly.

If I get stabbed in the throat probably not long. If I'm cut and bleeding and rolling around I guess until I can bite that person's nose or some other body part off,dig an eye out,choke them to death or tear a nutsack off and get that knife away from 'em. I don't know how many seconds or minutes that'd take but about that long.

Last edited:
Take the knife out of the situation.

Now, how long would you last:

a. guy comes up to you telling you that you had just dropped something right after you exit the grocery store, big smile on his face, friendly body language. He gets within arms length of you and knocks the [beeep] out of you and continues the punching.

b. four teenagers jump you in Wal Mart parking lot,they are using pipes. major fight in progresses.

c. you walk by a guy that is leaning up against the wall talking on his phone, and he sucker punches you.

You had better know your state laws in these circumstances in how the law allows for reasonable defense.

If your not in tip top shape, and from the cloths many of you have sold in the classifieds, your not, then prepare for an azz whoopin. If your retired, your not the bad azz you think you are, prepare for an azz whoopin. If four teens with piped jump you, pray you live. A&C,if you can get into a close by business, you may make it out with a black eye or a bruise or two. You may be LUCKY, not good, enough to get your concealed firearm out but if the bad guy is close enough to punch you in the face, he's already on top of you.

My son is 35 and real close to 200 pounds. Works everyday and strong as bull. I'm 70,fair shape physically, weight about 170. No way I could fight him off, gun or not. My point is you can think you are good enough to fight off an attack but in reality.....probably not.

Ok, you are an old man/woman, maybe a middle age or a person with certain disabilities. In your state, can you pull a fire arm to defend yourself, or even a knife?

How about this situation, you see the a highway patrolman has pulled over a car, and the patrolman is by himself in a fight with a suspect, and the suspect is getting the upper hand knocking the patrolman to the ground. Ok, you are an old man, what can you legally do to help the patrolman? If you have cops in your family, you think about this on every traffic stop you see.

State's are very, very different in their laws. Educate yourself on your state laws.

Where I live, Four surrounding County Sheriffs want everyone that can legally do so to get a Concealed Weapon's permit. One of the Sheriffs went on the local news said that he was tired of seeing victims, and people should arm themselves.

GC's scenario maybe a good reason for "open carry" of firearms. The guy with the knife may choose another victim other than you.

Why tf would I let you get that close anyway?

If you're coming from behind me- yeah, done deal.

Coming from the side? I could see someone getting the upper hand, but they better come with more than a knife.

Head-to-head coming at me with a weapon? Two to the juice box and one to the hard drive and it's going to happen fast. The aggressor will either be turning tale, we'll get each other after a mexican standoff or he/she is going to be down. I'll deal with the legal consequences afterward and I hope I never see the day. I much prefer living free with a good job in Western WY.

Extremely unrealistic, so much so that it conveys no useful knowledge. Those videos are entertainment.

How would you survive this:

The deputy's tactical response was textbook. Most importantly, she remained completely composed when confronted by the most dangerous of bad guys.

A good quality semiauto is more reliable than any revolver. I've had 2 S&W revolvers fail. I've known of countless others. When revolvers fail, they're outta da fight. I've never seen a Sig P220, P226, or P229 fail. Ever. Revolvers have more parts and more moving parts than semis.

A semi has 2 moving parts.

An assailant armed with a knife can close 21' and kill a good guy before he could bring his holstered handgun to battery (able to fire a round).

How a bad guy holds a knife will reveal his proficiency.

Size does matter. A George Foreman punch might kill a bad guy. A punch from a welterweight would probably hurt. The best UFC fighter ain't gonna win against a 250 pound NFL linebacker. Herschel Walker was 48 years old and schooling UFC fighters in pain.

Survivors know how to avoid, and when that's not an option, how to survive.

Buy this book: https://secure.calibrepress.com/shop/books/street-survival-ii-hardcover/ Professionals who've survived actual deadly encounters reveal survival tactics.

BTW, it's called martial arts for a reason. Martial arts movies are choreographed.

I'm not quite as youthful now days, I am no where near as strong as I was 20 yrs ago and when driving fence posts and other manual labor tasks on my small ranch, I tire much sooner and I recover a lot slower as well. As others have said, situational awareness is key.
Remember this:
Avoidance...
De-escalation...
Overwhelming and complete violence...in that order.

I do not allow myself or my wife to get into an at risk situation to begin with.

Back