any idea's on how to start reloading for a beginner

acudaowner

Hello , my question is i have seen reloading video's on you tube asked this question on a few other forums . I have never reloaded always wanted to try it but know nothing about the process or how do it, if you could suggest where in the world to start ? it would be greatly appreciated all the advise i have acquired on oh you need to have this machine or that machine is confusing. right now i shoot 308 win 150 grain from 100 - 600 yards and the same for 223/556 and 224 Valkyrie .time is about the only thing i have to spare not rich living on a very fixed budget. also If you had to start all over equipment and material where would you start and why ?

First thing is buy two books. The Lyman Reloading Manual and The ABC's of Reloading. Both available from AMAZON. Read those and that will give you a grasp of the equipment and processes. Once that's accomplished we can flesh you out on all the pertinent stuff.

Greg

PS: Welcome to the board and your future addiction.
thumbup.gif

I purchased an RCBS kit to begin. I’m still using it because I’m still a beginner! There are a lot of reloading sets that have most of the things you need to begin. I was fortunate to have a friend help me get started and showed me the basics. If you have anyone you know that is willing to share some knowledge, and ask a lot of questions. Read as much as you can about reloading! Maybe stop in to the Local Gun Shop and see if there is anyone willing to help out. Are there any shooting clubs or guns clubs around? That would be another place to get some knowledge and help. Stick with it and it will come around. Good luck!

The Lyman and RCBS (stands for Rock Chuck [woodchuck of the west] Bullet Swage) manuals are pretty good. Read their intro chapters on the usuals: pressure, primers, bullets, case prep, etc.
Only if you are interested in competitive shooting would I recommend any progressive reloader. I have an RCBS Rockchucker and it does everything I need and handles standard dies. I reload .223, .30-06 and anything anyone wants me to if they just give me the dies (.300 Savage, 7mm Mag, 6.5 Creedmore, .357 mag).

Gun shows and swap meets are a good place to shop. I still use a single stage RCBS press I snagged for $20 at a swap meet.Not really fast but works just fine. Used dies can be had for cheap to. It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest to make accurate bullets.

Join a gun club, get someone to take you under their wing. Show you the ropes to get started. Believe me if you ask someone to help you, they are more than willing to help. All of the above information is most accurate and factual. But first hand help is still the best teacher. You still need books for reference. I wish you well.
I started when i was 17 went once to a fellows house and he showed me what i needed and went through the reloading process with me first hand. I'm 68 now and am thank full to still want to do it and love it. To me there are two loves. Shooting and reloading.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrDON'T do it as it is a very bad disease. You become obsessed with it and will not be good for your health.

So much truth right here
smile.gif

Welcome, acudaowner.
You need to commit to do it safely .
Its not an easy "try it if you like it" kind of hobby.
Get at least two manuals, wouldn't hurt to have a couple more.
Most people that stick with it have several, I have +five, I think.

Getting a couple of basic reloading manuals is an excellent suggestion. These will teach the how and why of reloading basics. They will also serve as a reference for loading data. Don't forget that most major bullet and powder manufacturers offer loading data online which is extremely valuable for comparison and data for newer cartridges not found in some of the older manuals.

Older manuals are often valuable as they offer data for obsolete cartridges and discontinued powders, etc.

Another resource is NRA certified instructors who offer Basic pistol, rifle and shotgun reloading courses. To find nearest class click:
NRA RELOADING CLASSES .

Welcome to PM.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: pyscodogGun shows and swap meets are a good place to shop.

but could possibly be one of the worst places to get advice FWIW.

some of the crap i've heard vendors telling people... omg!
thumbdown.gif

I always thought that learning to reload the first few years was WAY more expensive and time consuming than buying factory ammo in bulk and on sale.

Redding T7 turret press is the way to go IMO.

This youtube link for learning on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ7ZytKrmCQnRp9LXXxinJQ/videos

Here is a drop box link to a lot of free reloading data:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kdopwcxcqcimrud/AAAtrMqaxo4v6-OfPgM7dwRaa

Buying tools twice because you wanted to "save" will cost you in the long run.

Buy Forster dies from Brownells.

Little crow gunworks makes good brass trimmers for high volume. They have their problems... But so do others.

When setting up your powder measure for say 36 grains. Throw 10. Aim for 360 grains. If it is throwing real close to that, call it "set".

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrDON'T do it as it is a very bad disease. You become obsessed with it and will not be good for your health.

First welcome aboard. Second, the quote is probably the best advice you have gotten, next to buy some basics manuals, and start reading.

If you are looking for a new hobby, that has no bounds, this is one of those. My first house, which was a huge money pit, was cheaper than my handloading addiction.

25 years ago, I decided to load .30-06 Sprg, 9mm, and 12 ga. because it seemed like a nice hobby for the winter months, and I might save some money eventually. The saving money part never happened. I just shot more, which isn't all bad, but there was no money saving. There was money spending! I went from one Rock Chucker starter kit, and a MEC 600 Jr, in 12 ga. to several single stage and progressive metallic cartridge presses, four shotshell loaders, wet and dry case cleaning, annealing machines, storage containers full of brass, hulls, bullets, wads, etc., and more storage containers full of loaded ammo, for most shotgun, rifle, and pistol cartridges, on Wiki!

Yes it is a disease! And I am hoping for a couple of Zombie Apocalypses, just to shoot up some of this ammo! So tonight my therapy session is pulling the handle on my progressive, and listen to the sound of .223 Rem. cartridges hitting the loaded ammo bin, so when the snow melts, I can make a lot of noise. I definitely need help, so do yourself a favor...Read the books, give them to someone you don't like, and forget these thoughts of hand loading!
lol.gif

Squeeze

P.S. Seriously, it is a great hobby, but it isn't cheap...Fun, rewarding, and educational, but expect to be saving up for the next reloading tool, or reloading supply order.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: pyscodogGun shows and swap meets are a good place to shop.

thumbdown.gif

Didn't say go there to get advice, I said it was a good place to shop for used equipment.

Most everything in the above comments are very correct in getting you started reloading but something I might add is Be careful who you ask for help. Some of us get by with the basic necessities to reload accurate ammunition. Others have deep pockets and feel the need for the most "Latest and Greatest" products out there, which is fine. But,you don't need a $500 tool to put primers in a case. Talking to a Bench Rest/Competition shooter and a coyote/varmint hunter will get you totally different answers to your questions. Don't get me wrong,we all want accurate ammunition and good equipment, but there are some things you can get by without.My best advice to to ask a lot of questions from everyone and figure out what will work best for you and your budget.

Originally Posted By: acudaownerHello , my question is i have seen reloading video's on you tube asked this question on a few other forums . I have never reloaded always wanted to try it but know nothing about the process or how do it, if you could suggest where in the world to start ? it would be greatly appreciated all the advise i have acquired on oh you need to have this machine or that machine is confusing. right now i shoot 308 win 150 grain from 100 - 600 yards and the same for 223/556 and 224 Valkyrie .time is about the only thing i have to spare not rich living on a very fixed budget. also If you had to start all over equipment and material where would you start and why ?

As the guys have said, there are some good resources out there. One good resource is the NRA. They offer reloading classes that would be good to attend. Yes, you can probably learn from a book. But there is certainly nothing wrong with learning from those who know to supplement those books.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: pyscodogGun shows and swap meets are a good place to shop.

thumbdown.gif

Didn't say go there to get advice, I said it was a good place to shop for used equipment.

i wasnt suggesting that you were - i was just making sure the OP didnt extrapolate that into listening to what the knuckleheads behind the folding tables were saying.

know what u need before you go, and dont let them talk you into any other nonsense type of thing.

Club swap meets can sometimes turn out the best.I bought a single stage RCBS for 20 bucks at one. Dies are generally cheap too. The trick is do your home work and know what stuff cost if you bought it new. Like Plant One said, don't listen to the guru's on the other side of the table.

Back