30 Rem ARs out there?

Campower

Had a second one, and sold it like a total fool. My oldest boy is now legal hunting age, and I'm in the hunt for a second one....again...

If anyone knows of an one kicking around let me know! These darn things are hard to find nowdays...

Gee, it hasn't even been a year lol! It shoots pretty good, had a rough bore but some Tubbs bullets smoothed it out.

I wonder if these just came out too soon? I wonder if it would be a lot more successful if introduced today. Shorten the case slightly to better accept 6.5 and 6mm bullets. I personally would like to shoot light .22 and 6mm bullets at warp speed, but I know that isn't the desire of the general public. but that at least would get the parts flowing. plug and play parts for a case that uses a .473 bolt head is my AR 15, dream.

Remington gave up on the 30 Rem and 6.8 SPC too soon.

Anyway, you may consider looking at the TAC 30(30 Herrett). ARP makes the barrel and has load data and information posted on thier site.

P.S. A 16” barrel shoots 110gr Barnes at 2800-2850, 150gr at 2400-2450, and 125-130gr at 2600-2650 FPS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOG
Anyway, you may consider looking at the TAC 30(30 Herrett). ARP makes the barrel and has load data and information posted on thier site.

The .30 Herrett that I remember was a shortened .30-30 Winchester. They mostly saw use in Thompson Contenders a few decades ago. Is this the same round that you are talking about and will it work in an AR-15 platform?

The American 30 that Ritch designed is a bit taller in the shoulder than the 30 Herrett built on the 30-30 you remember. We do it on a 6.8 case and it shoots very well. They've killed a couple mule deer at 300+ with it. I shot it late last week. I'll start a thread on it tomorrow as I've been working on 22-NXS data today. It is right on the heals of the 30 Rem AR and is out running a 24" 30-30 out of my 16" barrel on my AR by 100-150 FPS..

LJ4NALM.jpg

Greg

From ARP’s web page:

6.8 based wildcat- 16" barrel

If you are looking for the most reliable and best all out terminal performance on hogs and deer out to 300yds the TAC 30 is it. The rounds hit like Thor's hammer...DRT, a perfect match for Texas hog hunters. The Cavity Back bullets 125gr MKZ open to .800" diameter, imagine the wound channel! They are pushing the 125gr MKZ to 2700 out of an 18" barrel with 29.4gr of SW blackout. That is 150fps faster than a 20" Grendel and 450fps faster than a 300 Blackout. The Herrett using SW BO powder is as fast out of an 18" barrel as the 30 Remington AR was out of a 24" barrel. The TAC 30 is big brother to the TAC 6 cartridge. It is a wildcat that you must reload, form and trim cases but you do not need to fire-form.

4150 CMV 30 Herrett mid wt profile, Hybrid 5R rifling 11.25 twist . 2lb-2oz
M4 feed ramps, mid length gas system, .850 taper to.750 under the guard, .750 gas block dia. .700 dia from gas block to muzzle. 5/8-24 thread muzzle.

30 Herrett reloading dies are used with a 6.8 shell holder. 6.8 SPC brass is easiest to use, S&B, Hornady, Starline in that order. Trim to 1.570, 1.580" is max case length. It is important to size the brass close to the chamber size. Set the dies up where they push the shoulder back just enough to chamber the brass. Hornady 30 Herrett dies seem to work best but again be careful not to push the shoulder back too far. The 30 Herrett was a wildcat many years ago and the older dies vary in size. You do not need to fireform or turn the necks on the brass. Just trim, size, load and shoot.
The 30 Herrett in an AR can be loaded to higher pressures than the old TC pistols. With 125-130gr bullets Shooters World BO, 1680, 4198 and RE7 work well.

Lot’s of options in a AR15 Plateform and is ever growing.

My current Ar Wildcat that I’m running is the .30 Sabercat

The .30 Sabercat is a full power wildcat hunting round developed for the AR15. It is based on the 6mm Norma Dasher case (the new normal or thin rim version of the brass) which has 44.1 grains case capacity when fire-formed. You can also use any .308 based case but anything other than dasher brass will require neck turning. The idea was to get the performance of the 30 RAR in a standard AR15 upper and reach mild .308 ballistics from a smaller package.

The Sabercat has a case length of 1.575 and uses an COAL of 2.295, although not all bullets can be loaded that long. The light bullets load to around 2.2 COAL. As stated military .308 brass can be used but requires neck turning to .013 thickness. Case capacity with L.C. brass is around 41.4 grains so load data is very different between Dasher and L.C. Performance of L.C. brass is good in the shorter barrels.

It is designed around the 125-155 class of bullets but can run all the way up to the 220-240 loads for subs if wanted, although subsonic performance was not a design parameter when we were designing it. An 18 inch barrel can safely push a 150 grain bullet to 2650-2700 fps. It can push a 110 grain bullet to 3100 from a 18 inch barrel. A 22 inch barrel will push a 110 to 3250 and a 150 to 2800.

With the 2.295 COAL, PRI 6.8SPC magazines work best allowing 7 rounds in a 10 round mag. The larger mags don't allow much more capacity because the magazine starts to swell. You can do a spring mod to the 15 round PRI magazine and get 9-10 rounds in them. The 450 Bushmaster 5 round mag also works with some slight mods as does the 30 RAR magazine.

The .30 Sabercat likes the faster powders. In testing, 1200R and AA2200 were 2 of the best powders. H335 also works as does Norma 200, VV N120, VV N530, H4198, LT-30 and AA2230.

FYI- Sometime in the future, they will have 6mm Dasher "like" brass with a longer headspace and the correct shoulder angle. Once available, you will simply run the "Fat Cat Basic Brass" thru the .30 Sabercat sizer, load and shoot! Life will be SIMPLE!!!

P.S. Campower, I apologize if I have taken over your thread as I just wanted to show you that there are other options.

Last edited:
Brass was recently available for the RAR at Midway so I stocked up what is hopefully a lifetime supply. Suppressed I'm shooting 110 vmax at 3k with 4198 and great accuracy. Looking at the ballistics a 130 TTSX or 125 Accubond at 2800 seem to give the best trajectory and energy potential for big game.

I've only shot a handful of the 110 TTSX you had loaded but looking forward to pegging a deer or antelope with one.

Also, as for mags a normal pmag works great if you oal is under 2.26". Some drag slightly on the bcg but that's easily fixed by lowering the mag 1/32". 20 rounders hold 8 or 9 and 30's 12 or 13, can't remember which.

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGLots of options in a AR15 Plateform and is ever growing.

My current Ar Wildcat that I’m running is the .30 Sabercat

The .30 Sabercat is a full power wildcat hunting round developed for the AR15. It is based on the 6mm Norma Dasher case (the new normal or thin rim version of the brass) which has 44.1 grains case capacity when fire-formed. You can also use any .308 based case but anything other than dasher brass will require neck turning. The idea was to get the performance of the 30 RAR in a standard AR15 upper and reach mild .308 ballistics from a smaller package.

The Sabercat has a case length of 1.575 and uses an COAL of 2.295, although not all bullets can be loaded that long. The light bullets load to around 2.2 COAL. As stated military .308 brass can be used but requires neck turning to .013 thickness. Case capacity with L.C. brass is around 41.4 grains so load data is very different between Dasher and L.C. Performance of L.C. brass is good in the shorter barrels.

It is designed around the 125-155 class of bullets but can run all the way up to the 220-240 loads for subs if wanted, although subsonic performance was not a design parameter when we were designing it. An 18 inch barrel can safely push a 150 grain bullet to 2650-2700 fps. It can push a 110 grain bullet to 3100 from a 18 inch barrel. A 22 inch barrel will push a 110 to 3250 and a 150 to 2800.

With the 2.295 COAL, PRI 6.8SPC magazines work best allowing 7 rounds in a 10 round mag. The larger mags don't allow much more capacity because the magazine starts to swell. You can do a spring mod to the 15 round PRI magazine and get 9-10 rounds in them. The 450 Bushmaster 5 round mag also works with some slight mods as does the 30 RAR magazine.

The .30 Sabercat likes the faster powders. In testing, 1200R and AA2200 were 2 of the best powders. H335 also works as does Norma 200, VV N120, VV N530, H4198, LT-30 and AA2230.

FYI- Sometime in the future, they will have 6mm Dasher "like" brass with a longer headspace and the correct shoulder angle. Once available, you will simply run the "Fat Cat Basic Brass" thru the .30 Sabercat sizer, load and shoot! Life will be SIMPLE!!!

P.S. Campower, I apologize if I have taken over your thread as I just wanted to show you that there are other options.

That is a boss hoss combo. Where did you get the parts for that. Even better would be 22 cal and 6mm versions of that. What you describe is what I hope is someday offered in factory guns and parts

Mad Dog Weapon Systems and they have every flavor MSR cartridge a person could want with more in the works.

There is the 7MM VALKYRIE which seems to be popular.

Most of the parts are standard AR15 parts except the bolt and barrel which come from them. They have the dies for each of thier cartridges and are very helpful with the builds and provide load data to get you started. However, Wildcats are not for the beginner reloader!!!

The Sabercat is my purpose built dedicated suppressed scout rifle that groups 1/2 MOA at 100 yds:

The barrel is a threaded 16” Ranger profile with fluting between the gas port and barrel extension and weighs 28 or 29oz. My entire build with a 15” SLR Helix handgaurd, Brownells LW BCG, Aero Precision slick upper (no forward assist) , Mag Tactical lower, Tubbs flatwire carbine spring, H2 buffer, minimalist stock, SLR Ti gas block, Aero Precision 1” ultralight scope mount, 1.5-8 Vortex Razor scope, suppessor cover, and Ti suppressor weighs 7lbs carring weight.

Originally Posted By: CampowerFound one!

Comes with 5 magazines and 100 rounds if ammo:)

Happy happy.

Good deal! I have two and love them. I cut one down to 18" and put a can on it for hog hunting. Most of my hunting is 30 yards to 100 yards and it anchors them down!

Back