Dirty mag?

yotehunter243

OVS2yEy.jpg

Is this normal with a suppressor? I'm running a Superlative adjustable block and the suppressor is a Gemtech quicksand TI. I was pretty shocked at how dirty the rounds were inside the mag.

Last edited:
Good thing I have a stainless tumbler set up haha. I did have a few spent cases tonight that were spotless. This is my first suppressed set up so I'm wanting to make sure I'm doing it right.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptRemember, you're getting gas blowback... normal.

Like mentioned, leave a round in over night and yuk!

Agree with both points, and it's still totally worth it. Dirty mags and brass don't hurt a thing but I don't leave a round in the chamber overnight after firing any more!

Originally Posted By: LazerusNo need to be ashamed of your dirty mags. We are non-judgmental around here.

Mostly.
Lol I'm a little OCD about my brass. But I can live with it. With the can on the end do you clean the barrels and chamber more often? I guess that would cause me to actually clean a gun which I never do until season is over

That is normal. I clean (dry lube)my chamber, mags, BCG, and upper receiver after each use for reliability. I only clean my barrel when accuray has been affected

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGThat is normal. I clean (dry lube)my chamber, mags, BCG, and upper receiver after each use for reliability. I only clean my barrel when accuray has been affected

Dry lube??

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243Originally Posted By: LazerusNo need to be ashamed of your dirty mags. We are non-judgmental around here.

Mostly.
Lol I'm a little OCD about my brass. But I can live with it. With the can on the end do you clean the barrels and chamber more often? I guess that would cause me to actually clean a gun which I never do until season is over

Oh, I can understand the OCD tendencies. My old man taught me to clean a rifle EVERY time we handled it. I swear, the first time I spray painted a rifle, I almost cried. Today, forget about it. I will shoot them until they either lose their grouping or won't chamber. Then it's time to clean them. Honestly, just keep your chamber clean and you won't have an issue. A dirty barrel shoots better...within reason.

I did something a little different last fall when I assembled an AR for my first suppressor. I used Hornady one shot cleaner/lube on everything but the trigger group. No adjustable gb, cheap bolt group,carbine stock and 18" barrel/mid length gas tube. Shot some coyote,coon and targets from Dec on. About 75-100 rounds still grouping very well and haven't cleaned anything on it. I will plink with it and continue to check groups and see how many rounds until groups open up, or a pd trip rolls around. Hornady one shot is a dry lube.

Last edited:
Don't forget to lube your trigger group, running suppressed in my ar has caused the trigger to do light strikes, cleaned and lubed the pivot pins and fixed it so far.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMo A dirty barrel shoots better...within reason.

It sounds like you use "dirty" and "fouled" synonymously. What would you call an excessively fouled barrel?

To me, a dirty barrel is showing signs of excessive fouling. Just curious

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yotehunter243Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGThat is normal. I clean (dry lube)my chamber, mags, BCG, and upper receiver after each use for reliability. I only clean my barrel when accuray has been affected

Dry lube??

Hornady Extreme One Shot or One Shot but I use the Extreme since I live and hunt on the coast.

The residue really collects on wet lubes and paste products.

Several days hunting this winter,below -10F. Rifle ran very well, no issues loading or with slow bolt movement. Really like the Hornady one shot. I did treat the trigger pins before assembly of the lower.

Originally Posted By: McflyOriginally Posted By: SnowmanMo A dirty barrel shoots better...within reason.

It sounds like you use "dirty" and "fouled" synonymously. What would you call an excessively fouled barrel?

To me, a dirty barrel is showing signs of excessive fouling. Just curious

There are some differences in terminology and one does have to be careful how it is used. During firearms safety training a "fouled" barrel used to be one that is obstructed. But in other circles "fouled" means just dirty. So terminology has been changed a bot to be clear. We now use the term "obstructed" to indicate an unsafe condition in the barrel. Dirt is subjective. Could be powder residue, lead or copper residue or just plain dirt. So sometimes we change the terms so that the audience we are talking to is clear about what we are trying to convey.

There isn't really an amount of "dirt" or "fouling" that is acceptable. Shoot it until your accuracy drops, the clean it, shoot it and keep shooting until the accuracy drops again.

I had a friend who shot his .204 for over 500 rounds without cleaning. Then when we were shooting to verify zero his groups went crazy. Went home, cleaned it and his groups tightened right back up.

During a precision rifle shooting class we had guys that were cleaning their rifles between evolutions. When the discussion came up about when to clean, they were challenged to shoot their rifles while "dirty" then again after cleaning between evolutions. They were shocked that their groups stayed so tight even when firing from a dirty rifle.

There are inconsistencies in the machining of any barrel. Barrel break-in is a controversial topic because some manufacturers recommend it while others do not. During break-in most manufacturers will recommend removing copper fouling between shots so that the barrel can break-in evenly and correctly. After the break-in you do not have to clean between shots. Copper and lead will fill in those inconsistencies and make for a better surface, to a point. If there is too much fouling then it will effect the accuracy.

The barrels do not seem to suffer from the same increased fouling as the rest of the firearm does when suppressed. My bores look just fine while the cartridge in the chamber and the magazine show excessive carbon build up.

Back