Feral Cats & Bobcat

Years ago, back in the '70, my Dad shot what appeared to be a bobcat, my beagles had treed it. Took it to the county office and they paid a $5 bounty on it. A few days later a neighbor came over with the sheriff complaining that my Dad had shot his daughter's cat. Turns out they had brought a Chinese linx through Canada which was totally illegal in the states. The funny thing is the sheriff ask the neighbor what he would do if his dogs treed a strange cat and not thinking the neighbor blurted out "I'd shoot the [beeep] thing". The sheriff also stated that a cat is a wondering animal and belongs to the property it is on. In other words he said that no one really owns a cat, I still wonder if this is true.

Originally Posted By: Teep The sheriff also stated that a cat is a wondering animal and belongs to the property it is on. In other words he said that no one really owns a cat, I still wonder if this is true.

If I understand correctly, the Sheriff was refering to a wild animal? If so, then I don't think he was correct. The animal doesn't belong to any particular landowner just because it's on his property, but when taken lawfully, like in hunting season, the animal then becomes the property of whomever took it, again, with everything being done legally. Outside of hunting season or legal means, the animals belongs to everyone, ie the public. This is my understanding anyway.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoYou should have seen the cat that was brought in while Desert Ram and I were getting his bobcat pelt tagged by game and fish at the last PM convention. A guy had shot it in his garden, took pics of it, skinned it and brought it down to the game and fish department. I swear it looked just like a cross between a house cat and bobcat. It had a big head, pointed ears with tufts, smaller body like a house cat, all of the markings of a bobcat including the bobbed tail. There was a buzz in the back as they were examining it.

Ultimately they told him, and us, that it was just an abnormal house cat. Desert Ram even got a pic of it because it was so bizarre.

I was in Eureka Springs, AR for Valentine's week. There was a cat in one of the gift shops that looked just like a Bobcat. I marveled at it. The shop owner said it was an exotic cat and not very well known in the U.S.............but that it was a domestic cat and very expensive. I can't remember the name, but it was huge and looked just like a Bobcat. When I asked if it was a cross-breed, she said it wasn't. But it sure was beautiful.

When I was a kid, 7 or 8, my dad took me to a pet store in Denver. They had an Ocelot for sale...it was in a glass cabinet and the shop owner told us that it was wild and had scratched and bit him. My dad said he had always wanted one, but couldn't afford one. It was cool to see it but I didn't want it as a pet...

That same shop also sold baby alligators.

Way back in the mid 50s there was a bobtailed cat in our neighborhood, "out in the country at that time." It was finally killed eating a dead chicken a neighbor had thrown out w/ the manure.

Maybe if the Bobcat started eating with the cats when it was a kitten, it don't really know its different. Might have been an abandoned kitten. I live in the city and we have a pair of Fox's that just had pups. They live a half block off Main street. They don't even run from people or cars. Just saying, anything is possible with wildlife.

Originally Posted By: lon0121Haha who knows, they train lions to let us put a trainers head in thier mouth in the circus. One thing for sure even the tamed ones will never lose a wild mentality/instinct.

Lonnie

Whenever I see someone do that all I can think is "what a stupid A55."

When he gets his head half chomped off listen to all the weeping and knashing of teeth.

might be stupid...

but you gotta give the original person who came up with the idea credit for having the worlds largest pair of brass balls.

65 yrs ago in my neighborhood there was a bobtail cat that hung around. It would be seen daytime and dark.

I finally bagged it one early spring day. It was dining on a dead chicken a neighbor had thrown out w/ the manure from the chicken house..

No pictures. Didnt have camera then.

Last edited:
Back