Nevada Blacktail Jack down.

TJ Traylor

3C15AA5E-7091-4681-BF57-93FA16DDB32F.jpeg

First Nevada Jack with a 4” Ruger SS using a 148gr HBWC 38 special load. Super easy on the ears and flat hammered this guy at around 40 yards. Lots of fun going after these guys with a revolver while hiking.

A very weary quarry. I use to shoot a bunch of them but then I realized I like shooting coyotes better. Get rid of the food, get rid of the coyotes. Still fun blasting them though.

Originally Posted By: crapshootA very weary quarry. I use to shoot a bunch of them but then I realized I like shooting coyotes better. Get rid of the food, get rid of the coyotes. Still fun blasting them though.

Yes sir I do not plan to take many. I would never go after them with a rifle. I could have took a dozen or more the other day with my AR but just seems to easy. And well like you know I’m all about getting coyotes now lol

There use to be an annual shoot held on another forum. They called it the Battle Royal. It was a night hunt, comprised of teams and it was northern nevada against southern nevada. No stakes, just bragging right. There would be teams of 4-6 people with rifles, shotguns, SBRs, supressors, and even a few machine guns. What a blast it was. They don't do it anymore. Bummer.

All of those I have shot have been with my Ruger .22 pistol. Only one (head shot) died where he was hit. All the others ran and a couple I never recovered. Next time I am gunning for them I will be using my 90 grain 9mm load or some 110 grain .38 Specials out of my Model 28 S&W. I doubt if I get any runners then. If so I will see what my .480 Ruger loaded with 340 grain cast bullets will do. Doubt they go far.

Originally Posted By: RustydustAll of those I have shot have been with my Ruger .22 pistol. Only one (head shot) died where he was hit. All the others ran and a couple I never recovered. Next time I am gunning for them I will be using my 90 grain 9mm load or some 110 grain .38 Specials out of my Model 28 S&W. I doubt if I get any runners then. If so I will see what my .480 Ruger loaded with 340 grain cast bullets will do. Doubt they go far.

Haha yeah I’ve yet to connect with my 44 while out or my 10mm but they are a bit tuff for a non perfect 22lr shot for sure. Long range revolver rabbits are a blast haha

Oh man! I used that same Model 28 with 125 grain.357 Mags in it to shoot a prairie dog with a few years ago. Just bit more power than needed I assure you.

Originally Posted By: Rustydust

Oh man! I used that same Model 28 with 125 grain.357 Mags in it to shoot a prairie dog with a few years ago. Just bit more power than needed I assure you.

Haha I’m sure you had legs left at the most
thumbup.gif

Back in late 50's in eastern Montana jacks were plentiful. Was nothing to go out at night and get 40-50 of them. Took them to local Farmers Union and got a buck and a quarter a piece for them. An outfit from I think Minn got them for mink feed. .22lr was if I remember .25 a box. Come to think of it you don't see any Lucky Rabbit foot key chains anymore.

Last edited:
Back