Shot distance

emptymag

I made this spread sheet mostly from snowshoes previous posts on how far he’s killed coyotes at. Average is 141 yards.

Is this average for the rest of you guys?

I can count on one hand how many I’ve killed over the 200+ mark.
5v0sk2.jpg

i would say thats about right. if i were to guess i would say my avg is 100-150 yards though i have killed a fair number of coyotes at 3 and 400 but those happen a lot less often.

Last edited:
Yup most of my coyotes are shot in under 100. I have had opportunities at longer shots but it happens so rarely that im terrible at guessing the range and hold over, even with a 3700 fps 204

This could be due in part to the type of terrain i hunt that is bushy and rolling hills so i typicaly dont see them until they are close. But even in the open country i see on youtube i notice coyotes have an uncanny ability to use the lay of the land to stay out of sight

My comfort zone is also 150 yards or less (preferably 100 yards or less
smile.gif
). Anything I shot further out, is bonus coyotes.

My longest was 815 yds but the last few years my shooting just plain sucks. One nice shot followed by 2 poor. It’s part me and part the wind. Guns are not at fault. When calling most shots are under 200yds.

We get a noisy crust on the snow here much of the winter, so I always consider that when walking in to setup. I normally keep a minimum of 200 yards often 300 yards. My shortest daylight shot this year was 151 yards, sleeper head shot.

my longest shot ever wasn't the most fantastic shot ever. back in 1974 when I was trapping full time, i saw a fox run out of a brush pile and head into an old farm grove. I ran back to my car and got my Mossberg 640 k 22 magnum which was the only rifle I had back then. I had two 5 shot clips and when I got half way to the grove I saw the fox heading across the section. We had just our first snow, about an inch of fluffy cold stuff. I took my first shot a snow puffed below him and he ran out a ways and stopped I raised up and fired and puffed snow below him again. this went on the same him stopping each time for 8 shots the first seven shots were low the eighth was just over him but this time he kept walking. I had a cheap Tasco 4 x scope and I was aiming so high that he was almost out of the bottom of the scope. another 20 yards out and I wouldn't of been able to see him in the scope. on the 9th shot I held what I felt was a tad lower then number 8 and a little out in front of him a squeedzed the trigger. He spun and collapsed and I jumped higher and whopped louder than ever before. the fox was 400 yards and I will never forget that lucky shot. plus every fox back then was 3 days pay.

I think I've killed one called coyote at over 200 yards, and that just over, maybe 215 or 218 or something a couple years ago in Nevada. I bet I kill most at less than 100 yards.

I kill most of mine under 100yds too....maybe the furthest I shot one and killed was 250yds but my comfort level in just like golf...125yds or less
smile.gif

I shot 4 (2 pairs spot/stalk)last week, shortest shot was 192 yards, longest 319. Snow had a crust and if you found fresh snow the cold temps caused the squeaky sound that travels well.

I recently went through Snowshoes posts for the 2019/2020 season so far.

I came up with 58 known shot yardages totaling 8186 yards.

8186/58=141

Which is the same as last years average.

Wow! The same average distance, 2 years running! I maybe should change my user name to "Onefortyone"
smile.gif

Thanks Emptymag for running the numbers
smile.gif

Last edited:
My closes coyote was 45yds charging into the call. My farthest was a fox at 375yds on my last shot. A lot of them have been 150yd. Great to see what other guys have been shooting them at. Thanks emptymag.

I did a quick calculation adding up my last 14 and it turns out my average has been 86 yds .... I thought it would have been a bit less.......... but I got a few that are over 150yds....
Closest one was under 10 yds...longest was 250...

Last edited:
My longest was 312 yd most are less than 150 yd here in PA. I try to setup so my shot is less than 200 yd that's mostly night hunting. Snowshoes do you have the opportunity to shoot long ranges but just hold off to let them get closer to you, most of the pictures of your setups it looks like you can see a long way? Congratulation on getting to your goal of 70 kills. I also really enjoy reading your posts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StrobleMy longest was 312 yd most are less than 150 yd here in PA. I try to setup so my shot is less than 200 yd that's mostly night hunting. Snowshoes do you have the opportunity to shoot long ranges but just hold off to let them get closer to you, most of the pictures of your setups it looks like you can see a long way? Congratulation on getting to your goal of 70 kills. I also really enjoy reading your posts.
Thank you Stroble
I do have a fair number of areas where longer range shots would be an option but I much prefer a 100 yard coyote over those 200+ yards ones.
smile.gif

Sometimes I will take a crack at those ones that hold up at 300 plus yards but only if I can't get closer to them.

I was out early this week with my 20p AR I built. Found a coyote layed up in a tree line, snow was very noisy and not much wind. I was able to get to 284 yards, threaded the 40 gr Nosler bt between branches. Bullet entered between the right ear and eye and exited the left ear. No sewing required. Pretty typical for shots to be greater than 200 yards when snow is crunchy.

Back