AR10 in 22 Creedmoor?

Has anyone done an AR10 in 22 Creedmoor? Factory brass is available and it seems like it would be a great compromise for those wanting a 22-250 in an AR platform without the feeding issues. Velocity wise it is said to perform right up there with a 22-250AI. I know there are the 22 Nosler and 224 Valk as well as the 22x6.8, but none of them appear to be able to really get 22-250 velocity. If someone has done one and has real world data, I would be interested to know some particulars. I would mainly run 50-55gr bullets and really have not seen any velocities published for these lighter bullets...have only seen it for 75gr and above. It would be nice to get 22-250 performance out of a 20-22" barrel. Thanks

The 22-NXS is running 22-250 speeds. Not OTC but if you want it it's there for the asking. Published several loads that show the speeds. If it quits raining on my range days I'll have even more.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterThe 22-NXS is running 22-250 speeds. Not OTC but if you want it it's there for the asking. Published several loads that show the speeds. If it quits raining on my range days I'll have even more.

Greg
Yes, I have looked at the NXS but at this time don't want to have to "mess" with the brass. I neck stuff down/up, turn necks and some of that stuff, but for an AR where I will be losing some brass(night hunting), I would rather not put that work into it. I also really looked hard at the 22x6.8 but Ritch won't do anything but an 8 twist barrel in his various .22 offerings. I know that fast twist barrels will shoot light bullets fast and accurate...I've shot a lot of 40gr bullets out of 7, 8 and 9 twist barrels with amazing accuracy and velocity...but a 12 twist will also shoot light bullets amazingly accurate and fast...they have for years...if I want a fast twist barrel for heavier bullets down the road, I will build one then. I Just don't understand the concept that an AR is not an AR unless it is a 7 or 8 twist:)
22 Creedmoor brass can be bought now and if need be, 6 Creedmoor brass can be simply necked down. I have found a vendor that does 22 Creedmoor chamberings in 6.5 twist all the way up to 14 twist barrels and will probably pursue this route and build my own...thus my primary reason for posting...to see if anyone has had any issues with this chambering in an AR before I begin gathering up parts.
If the couple of AR 22-250 "options" out there were totally reliable on feeding and didn't require "modifications" to the lowers and magazines, I would head that direction(and they are offered in slower twists).
Just want to be sure that the 22 Creedmoor can be built, loaded and shot without having to do anything "special" to it to function/feed reliably. Thanks

Keep us posted on your project. Personally I wouldn't hump an AR10 in the boonies unless I got paid to do it again. My advancing age makes me want everything a bit lighter and preferably not getting whacked by heavy BCG's.

The limited twist rate offering is because the barrel maker won't invest in his proprietary polygon rifling in twists that aren't all that popular so not as profitable. It's rare to find anything faster than a 10 in the 223 bore out there from what I've seen.

Greg

A friend of mine is building a 22 creedmore in an ar 10 as we speak. Sadly, his intentions are to shoot the 75 amax. So im not sure he will put forth any effort for the 50-55gr stuff.

Originally Posted By: Cowboy43A friend of mine is building a 22 creedmore in an ar 10 as we speak. Sadly, his intentions are to shoot the 75 amax. So im not sure he will put forth any effort for the 50-55gr stuff.

I would be interested to know if he chose particular components for any particular reason and if he is aware of any potential problems associated with this cartridge in an AR and if any modifications need done for it to run reliably. From what I have gathered, this should be a straight forward build, but others may know something that I am unaware of. Thanks

Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: Cowboy43A friend of mine is building a 22 creedmore in an ar 10 as we speak. Sadly, his intentions are to shoot the 75 amax. So im not sure he will put forth any effort for the 50-55gr stuff.

I would be interested to know if he chose particular components for any particular reason and if he is aware of any potential problems associated with this cartridge in an AR and if any modifications need done for it to run reliably. From what I have gathered, this should be a straight forward build, but others may know something that I am unaware of. Thanks From what little i have gathered from him, he chose the 75 amax based on his previous expe. with that bullet used in a 22-250 fast twist bolt gun.He related to me that he was shocked at how well that bullet shot in that chamber at 300-600 yards.

He recently built a 6.5 Creed in an ar-10 without any issues and he is in high hopes the 22 version will act the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cowboy43Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: Cowboy43A friend of mine is building a 22 creedmore in an ar 10 as we speak. Sadly, his intentions are to shoot the 75 amax. So im not sure he will put forth any effort for the 50-55gr stuff.

I would be interested to know if he chose particular components for any particular reason and if he is aware of any potential problems associated with this cartridge in an AR and if any modifications need done for it to run reliably. From what I have gathered, this should be a straight forward build, but others may know something that I am unaware of. Thanks From what little i have gathered from him, he chose the 75 amax based on his previous expe. with that bullet used in a 22-250 fast twist bolt gun.He related to me that he was shocked at how well that bullet shot in that chamber at 300-600 yards.

He recently built a 6.5 Creed in an ar-10 without any issues and he is in high hopes the 22 version will act the same.
What upper/lower manufacturer is he using and will standard magazines(308 I assume) work? Steel or Pmags? Thanks

Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: Cowboy43Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: Cowboy43A friend of mine is building a 22 creedmore in an ar 10 as we speak. Sadly, his intentions are to shoot the 75 amax. So im not sure he will put forth any effort for the 50-55gr stuff.

What upper/lower manufacturer is he using and will standard magazines(308 I assume) work? Steel or Pmags? Thanks first chance i get to ask him details ill pass it on. Im supposed to be going to see him next week.

I know this is an older thread but I have a DNA firearms systems 1/8 twist 22 creed with an Excalibur barrel sitting in front of me right now and I will be doing some load development this weekend. These rifles are seriously a work of art. Reliability is great so far and I’m excited to see what speeds can be achieved with the 75’s in a gas gun

Originally Posted By: reaper4I know this is an older thread but I have a DNA firearms systems 1/8 twist 22 creed with an Excalibur barrel sitting in front of me right now and I will be doing some load development this weekend. These rifles are seriously a work of art. Reliability is great so far and I’m excited to see what speeds can be achieved with the 75’s in a gas gun
Jeremy, let me know how everything works out on this. Thanks

Gene

It's too bad a new rifle length + gas system has not been introduced yet in mass.

I think one would work great in 22+ inch barrels. It would really be exceptional in high gas output cartridges like the 22CM.

DNA firearm systems is running +2 and +3 gas systems and it’s doing well in the 22 creedmoor. Feel free to contact me with questions if you want any details. 4439957783. I just got done some testing with the proof prototype and Excalibur 1/8 barrel

Back