Crow advice...

BLKCLOUD

I’ve hunted crows for 30 years... in my area it’s basically always the same scenario.. set turn on the caller.. a murder of crows come in.. we shoot 2-4 and they leave and never come back.. load up.. go a couple of miles and repeat.. I have watched shows where guys turn on the caller and the crows just keep coming in forever.. what is the trick to get them to keep coming in? We have tried every sound there is.. decoys one or two.. sometimes more .. thanks..

Dunno how legal it was. First time I ever went I was a kid in the late 70's. Guys had an owl decoy and that thing had tre or books hanging all over it. Crows came into the call, saw the owl game on. One or two got hung up In the hooks, their distress calls and flopping around called more in from a long way. Pretty much turned the sky black for a couple of hours.

Originally Posted By: BLKCLOUDI’ve hunted crows for 30 years... in my area it’s basically always the same scenario.. set turn on the caller.. a murder of crows come in.. we shoot 2-4 and they leave and never come back.. load up.. go a couple of miles and repeat.. I have watched shows where guys turn on the caller and the crows just keep coming in forever.. what is the trick to get them to keep coming in? We have tried every sound there is.. decoys one or two.. sometimes more .. thanks..
My experience and method has been the same as yours. I would initially call a bunch, shoot a few and they retreat. I have on occasion called a few back in by persistent calling. It's then pack up and move to the next location.

I recently put a road kill deer in the back field, crows on it in no time. I was home alone so I couldn’t resist popping one, chose the prairie dogging 204 Ruger.

I popped one & left him there, the rest of the crows never came back. Two Redtail hawks ate the crow. The coyotes showed up while I was away at work for a few days, yes, poor timing.

The carcass was cleaned up, no coyote shots provided.

My buddy and I hunt a pecan orchard with blinds setup, owl and crow decoys, along with motion type decoys (flappers and mojo crows), and three electronic calls. We alternate calls (distress, dying, hawk, owl mobbing, etc.) often and take breaks between calling sessions. Wounded crows on the ground help. Two or three times in a morning hunt we will get large groups to come in. Then an occasional single or double can't help themselves and come in. More than likely it is due to this being a several hundred acre (700 or so) orchard with many crows coming and going. We killed 128 one morning without moving. No really - we counted as we pick them up and get them out of the field. Most days are in the 35 to 75 range and only 2 or 3 times in a season.
So I guess the only advice is find a huge food source.
PS - the guy is selling the orchard so I hope the new owner likes help...

Back