How to set on frozen ground?

fratri

I have a landowner that is asking me to trap a couple of coyotes on his land. The ground is frozen up here right now and there is some snow on the ground too... I see their tracks and have a good idea of where to set the traps, just asking for some advice as I have no real experience(only internet experience) placing traps on frozen, snow covered ground. No hunting, shooting allowed on the property except for dispatch.
Thinking of putting up a dirt hole set along a travel route. using a cable attached to the trap chain and then wrapping it around a tree, your how to thoughts are welcomed.

Last edited:
Snares would be best, sometimes finding a coyote in a drag can be tough with snow if you get a dump overnight. Unless it is heavy brush the drag slides over the snow easily and they can go a long way.

Rebar stake pound into frozen ground pretty good and freeze, you can get away with a shorter stake if it is frozen but won't hold very well if you get a thaw. You can get a auger for an portable drill to put in dirt holes in frozen ground chip out trap beds with a straight claw hammer.

If the snow is deep enough walking a trail through the grounds/farm on your snow shoes and go through a lot of narrow brush spots. Set snares in those narrows, coyotes will run the snowshoe trail. You can set on snowmobile tracks but they are wider and more likely to have another snowmobile run them ruining your set. Using footholds you can do scent post sets along the trail also and tie off to a tree or sapling, I used large Linden/basswood leaves collected in the fall for pan covers and sift snow over the trap.

I am not allowed to use snares here............
I am going to be using VICTOR #3 SOFT CATCH COIL SPRING 4 x 4.... so for a dirt hole set along the travel route, after setting the trap so it doesn't move, and place some wax paper on the pan, do you recommend I just cover the traps with some fresh snow? or use peat moss first then cover with snow or cover completely with peat moss then light dusting of snow, Our temps are saying well below freezing day and night here. I was thinking of setting the drag (wrapping it around a tree?Your thoughts?

If he only allows steel traps and no hunting or snaring.. I wouldn't bother then, Let the coyotes there and see what happens.. He must not want them gone that bad if he only allows one way to do so..Dan

Peat moss if it's dry or buckwheat hulls for bedding. Make sure the trap is bedded dead solid or you will return to dug up flipped over trap.
Bed the trap cover pan with wax paper more peat moss put a little salt on the peat moss then spread a thin layer of dirt from the dirt hole and scatter the rest around like something has been digging.
You can wire it to a tree but it'll have a better chance of pulling out cause they can get a run at it until they get all tangled up. A rebar stake works better.

Originally Posted By: IdahoSawtoothPeat moss if it's dry or buckwheat hulls for bedding. Make sure the trap is bedded dead solid or you will return to dug up flipped over trap.
Bed the trap cover pan with wax paper more peat moss put a little salt on the peat moss then spread a thin layer of dirt from the dirt hole and scatter the rest around like something has been digging.
You can wire it to a tree but it'll have a better chance of pulling out cause they can get a run at it until they get all tangled up. A rebar stake works better.

that is what I was looking for.... Thank you

hay sets. trap is placed on the ground, no digging. use drags, no digging. I use 2 traps per set.i place a flake of hay between the traps,there about 12-16"apart.then sprinkle some hay over the traps,just enough to break up there outline. a shot of lure or urine on top of the flake is all you need for lure. some guys put a little bait under the flake also. your choice!

Straw or hay sets will work, I still chip out a trap bed(especially if you use bait,they will scratch) use rerod stake. Point the stake and use 14-16" of chain and a couple of swivels. A coyote can screw a rerod stake out if the chain gets wrapped. Standard flatset with buckwheat hulls and waxed dirt will work if temps stay below freezing. I only go to sodium chloride as a last resort, traps are bagged(sandwich) and treated with full metal jacket dip. Make sure any trap bed is just big enough for the trap to prevent movement of trap when the coyote scratches.

Hay set's are the way to go. See last 2 post's above, good advice. If it works in Alaska, it will work down there too.Put them in the open, where they can see them, two or three sets on a frozen pond, works great.

Back