Going to Texas to hunt hogs with 243

The most accurate round your rifle shoots is the best. It is WHERE you put it, not what you shoot them with.
If you're planning on lung shots, that's probably a little light, if you plan on ear shots you're good. If you're night hunting, have a shotgun with you. I just popped a nice boar at 12 yards with a load of buckshot

I agree with the 100gr suggestions, either in a traditional Spire Point or Partition bullet.

Federal makes a Premium Load in 100gr. for the .243 featuring the Nosler Partition bullet, I bet it's deadly on hogs.

Shot a lot of hogs w/100 gr. Nosler solid base. Unfortunately they no longer make them, as they're also good for coyotes & deer in 243 WSSM. I think they are just a BT w/cannelure and lead tip rather than plastic. I picked up a bunch of overruns from Nosler a while back, though.

Regards,
hm

I have used a lot of Barnes and Hornady SST on hogs. Have you ever hunted hogs before? I suggest watching a video or studying a diagram of their vitals. I made a few high shots like on a deer before. I watched some of Todd Huey's videos on neck/ear shot, too.

Enjoy the great state of TEXAS and eat some BBQ!

Originally Posted By: TxPigKillerThe most accurate round your rifle shoots is the best. It is WHERE you put it, not what you shoot them with.
If you're planning on lung shots, that's probably a little light, if you plan on ear shots you're good.

Regards,
hm

Back