Caliber rifle for calling Mt. Lions

Ken43

I live in Utah and obtained a Mt. Lion permit. Just wondering what you guys think. I will be calling with a FoxPro Shockwave. I am wondering if a .223 rifle would be enough gun for a Mt. Lion. I would like to know from you guys who have hunted and killed Mt. Lions.
Thanks for any input.

First off, make sure the 223 is a legal caliber there. We can use them here in Wyoming, but only with heavy bullets.. ie. 60 grain and above

It's mostly about shot placement... hit them where you are supposed to and it will kill them.

I have seen two killed with 1 shot each from 17 centerfires. I don't know the legality in the state you want to hunt. I have no doubt that a 223 can kill one. Shot placement goes with out saying, well guess I said it, sort of.

If legal, use it. Some of those cats get pretty big but I’ve heard of plenty of guys dropping em with 223s and smaller. I haven’t had the luck of calling one in yet, when I do I’ll probably have a bow, 300 Winnie, 222 or 223 because I’ll be calling bear or coyote with no thought of a lion showing up.

Originally Posted By: Ken43Thanks for all of your information. I think I will take my .308 winchester.

Excellent choice!

Many have been taken here with .22 mag treed. Some have been lost with much bigger like .338 WM on the ground.
Our game regs require a min .22 centerfire, which is nice if you have a filled deer or elk tag.
A hole is a hole just better in a good spot. I still prefer it to be a larger hole.

Originally Posted By: Yotes2CallFirst off, make sure the 223 is a legal caliber there.

In Utah the only firearm restriction is that the firearm cannot be capable of being fired full auto. There are no caliber restrictions. I don’t think they thought about people calling them in. I believe they think they are all treed by hounds and shot at close range.

I used a 300 Savage on mine and it exited with only a quarter size hole or less, and if you handload, you can download the 308 with H4895. A 223 is plenty though...I have seen a bunch taken with a 22 Mag RF. Here in WA we can use any 22 Center Fire for Cougar.

223 is a magnum Lion rifle.

63g Sierra semi point

64g Winchester

approximately 25-26.5g of Varget and cci 450, call it good!

If they are still breathing when they hit the ground, hit'em again, straight through the lungs.

If their tail is slapping the ground, hit'em again

If their tail is quivering, you are probably good.

Don't be too quick to run up and see if they are dead.

I killed one with a Ruger single six with a 22 Mag cylinder one handed with mule reins in the other hand, shot him off a rock with six hounds on him as soon as he hit the ground. I had to shoot him quick as he was about to jump off in the middle of the hounds. It was all I could do to keep the mule from jumping in the freecus boxing with his two front feet.

I pack a 223 bolt action rifle loaded with 64gr Winchester power points at 3050fps. Plenty good out to around 350 yards with snow on the ground. I shot one with 55gr Ballistic tips. Not a good bullet choice. The 308 with deer bullets surely will not bounce off.

Shot my Male lion with my 260 Remington and 139 Scenar bullet. He jumped went over the hill and was dead at the bottom of the draw. No major exit hole.

Shot mine with a Grendel went 160 yards and was dead on its feet the entire way. Not sure how far it would have gone with a 223 hit? Maybe the same maybe not? would suggest a bigger gun, if you own one.what part of Utah are you in ?

Originally Posted By: Ken43Thanks for all of your information. I think I will take my .308 winchester.

Good choice. Cats aren't hard to kill but you need to be able to hit where you aim. IMO .308 is better than .223
smile.gif
I killed a 180 lb tom w/ 44 mag

I like a 30 cal. I down loaded my 30-06 but to be sure used FMJ. Shot him behind shoulder and he was dead before he hit the ground. Boon and Crockett cat. You should have no issues with a 308 although I would down load and make sure shot placement is good. Good luck a fun hunt.

early in the season I use a 30-06, just in case a bear comes in but I might also use a .44 mag rifle, it's a semi auto ruger I really like especially if I'm calling in the brush that day. more open country its the ottsix though.

later in the season I use a .223 when the bears are sleeping, so the only potential is bobcats, coyotes and mt lion. I'm often on a snowmobile.

once I tag a lion or the season is ended... I switch to .17 hmr for bobcat only, but possibly a yote but the shots are close as I'm calling in the thick brush anyways for those bobs.

I've been holding off on the cats this year because I want it prime, would like to full body mount it so I want a purdy one.

I called in and bagged my Mountain Lion with my .17 Remington (centerfire) --- 25 gr. Hornady Hollow Point.

..... behind right shoulder ... 65 yards ....bullet tumbled off front rib.... cat ran maybe hundred yards.... dead as a doornail.

The old .17 Remington is VERRY Under-Appreciated.

Cas in the High Desert of Wyoming

Back