Flyrod setup for trolling

masshunter

I'm setting up for trolling big streamers and buck tails in a lake. There are browns, rainbows, pickerel, and lakers. I have an 8 1/2' 6 weight, an old Pfluger 1495, and a Cortland WF6S line. Anyone have an idea what I should use for backing? Length and pound test. The potential is there for some pretty big fish, plus the weight of the line. I'm hoping someone on here has some experience with this kind of fishing that is new to me.

I think I would spool the fly line onto the reel then spool on some 20 lb braided line like spectra until the spool is full then unspool everything and then real it all back up, starting with the braided line of course.

Couple pointers from an old fly fisherman.
Your line is only as strong as your weakest knot. Practice and test your knots. You tube is a great teacher. My go to's. Non slip loop knot for fly to tippet. Surgeons knot for tippet to leader. Premade loop knot for leader to flyline. Lots of ideas for double rigs. Loop knot will work for flyline to backing also.
They sell fly line backing. It comes in a variety of weights. It is fairly large diameter so you don't have to put 8 miles of backing on your reel.
Fly line wears out from UV light. Old flyline is not as strong as new. Check for cracks and tears. Clean it regularly.
Older reels do not have very good drags, if they have one at all. Learn how to palm your reel with big fish.
Fish more..... its the only way to catch fish. Good luck and tight lines!!

Thanks to both of you for the info. I have some 30 pound braid and 20 pound mono. Never thought of the spool/unspool method, makes sense.

Have to work on the knots, my fly fishing has been limited to nymphs, bucktails, and streamers. Eight inch brookies and some rainbows up to sixteen. Going to tie some big streamers and bucktails this winter, Already eyeing my brothers St. Bernard and Newfie for some long hair.

The Newfoundland should make some great leach patterns. Maybe you can dub up some brushes with his under coat. Should work good for the bows and browns. Probably the jackfish too. Might get some wire leader for those guys. My favorite trout fly is an olive bodied wooly bugger. Black Maribou tail, olive chenille body with a little flash with grizzly, brown or black hackle. Long shank hook. Add some lead to get them down. I've used nearly the same pattern on redfish, specks and an occasional flounder.
I'm thinking the lakers are gonna be tough on a fly. Maybe in the fall when they are running?
Isn't it a little tough to fish up there now..... without an auger? Lol
Good luck!

I use wooly buggers a lot, size 10 and 12 brown, black and olive all work well on the stocked rainbows
and browns. The brookies will hit anything. My favorite bucktail is Blacknose Dace, or just a Black&White with white chenille over non-lead wire. No ice fishing for this guy, winter is for hunting !

If there's a lot of pickerel or pike you'll want some of that 20 Lb mono for a tippet.Same goes for fishing salt water.Chartruse/white Clouser's are great for most anything in sweet or salt waters.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.If there's a lot of pickerel or pike you'll want some of that 20 Lb mono for a tippet.Same goes for fishing salt water.Chartruse/white Clouser's are great for most anything in sweet or salt waters.

personally i'd want to use a quality fluorocarbon like seaguar red label, etc, for your tippet/bite guard. its way tougher than most mono is.

its all we (my family) use for salmon/steelhead because of the abrasion resistance as those fellas love to dive for the closest cover they can get to when you give them a free lip piercing

Back