stand time advise

Indiyote

so went hunting tonight. cycled through about 4 different sounds with no action or responses from coyotes and called it quita after bout 20 minutes. after i got home (maybe an hour later) i stepped outside only to hear the coyotes going crazy from the area i was just at. question is do you fellow eastern hunters sit on stand longer at night? advise? im hunting in indiana

Originally Posted By: Indiyoteso went hunting tonight. cycled through about 4 different sounds with no action or responses from coyotes and called it quita after bout 20 minutes. after i got home (maybe an hour later) i stepped outside only to hear the coyotes going crazy from the area i was just at. question is do you fellow eastern hunters sit on stand longer at night? advise? im hunting in indiana

If I think or know they are there I stay a lot longer than 20 minutes.

I'm with Old Cat on this one, If I know dogs are in the area I will hang tight for 45 mins + buuut if I don't spot anything or have one howling I keep my stands cut to about 30 mins long, I'ts surprising how many coyotes I kill after the 25 minute mark

Allot of the time I'll have dogs respond vocally and not show up while i'm playing my sequences but i'll sit for 15-20 minutes without playing a sound and don't ya know it they just have to check it out I guess curiosity kills em

Play around with it man, If you don't have endless properties to hunt it wont hurt to sit on stand for an hour or two

A couple years ago I was on my last set as I didn't have permission to shoot other property at nite. I stayed at least 45 min and had 3 coyote come in and I was able to kill all 3.

thanks for the advise. know some guys run and gun and keep stands down to 15-20 minutes but this isnt the first time ive had em howling after i left. will try lenghtening my stand time and and some moments of silence between stands to see if that helps

My night or day stands are a min. of 30min.. Last winter most were 45-60min. I also always sit in silence for 15min at the end of a set, I have seen & killed several in the silent period. The longest successful stand was 2hr 20 min but they & I "conversed" on & off during that time so I knew they were still around. Kill came at 2:30am.

I'm no expert... but when I set up now, I stay for several hours. I've found the coyote in my area roam... a lot... so if not around right now, they tend to come around shortly.

I've done much better doing it this way vs. the calling and moving if nothing shows up in 30-45 minutes.

the latest I stay is 73 minutes that's what I've worked it out to on how long to stay for several years. I've shot a few at the 71 to 73 minute mark, what one of the guys said, they're moving all the time, is true they might not be there when you first get there but they could very well show up just as you're leaving. so calm down and sit a bit longer, cause if you get home early your wife will want you to vacuum
ps of course if i'm getting any action at all I stay much longer don

Last edited:
I'm thinking it might be better to stay longer when they are moving like in the AM but mid day most are bedded down and you are gonna wake them up to come in rather than have them move into the area you are calling.

Back