Predator Lure or Bait recipes to share?

Anthony Asher

Hi everyone,
Does anyone on here know of any bait for lure recipes for Coyote, Bobcat, Grey Fox, Coon, Possum, or Skunk? Also I have one recipe that is for Grey Fox that calls for Grey Fox Glands. Will Red Fox glands still be attractive to Grey Fox or Coyotes?
Thanks,
Rex

All the coyotes and grey fox I ever caught was using the red fox gland lure. The bait I use for grey fox is chunks of blues from the ocean. My neighbor fishes the ocean a lot and when he cleans his freezer out for the fresh ones he gives them to me. And you don’t have to use it near water either

Anthony, get you a 1 gallon GLASS jar with a good lid. 1 fresh dead rattlesnake whole(to include the head.)Put snake in jar, add water to fill jar, and place in Sun for a while(month or so). Then it can be kept cool, place juice in squeeze bottle as a lure. On backing at dirt hole sets, across trails to pull to blind sets, etc.
I have never been a bait fan for coyotes. Fox and bobcat urine and gland seem to work well on yotes. I have never been a lure maker, I have had good luck with Ogorman's, Carman's, and Blackie's, I used quite a variation just due to what the locals liked. Most of my trapping was in WY, I haven't trapped in TX for decades.

My all around bait is canned mackerel, 3-4 oz of honey, 1/4-1/2 oz muskrat glands per gallon. You should be able to make a gallon for 20-25$. If raccoon are targeted I throw some large marshmallows in to soak and place near set for a visual attraction. If used in cold months I will grind up some muskrat or feral cat meat and add it (1-2 cups). I use a golf ball(or2) size amount. This is a more odor vehicle friendly bait,if it is above 40 add some sodium benzonate (food preservative).

Get a pile of horse hoof clippings from a farrier. Boil for about an hour (OUTSIDE) and place the whole contents in a clear glass or plastic jug. Let sit in sun. As you use a small amount in a squirt bottle, just replace same amount of fresh water to the jug. One batch will last a lifetime (or until the jug breaks). Squirt onto a cotton ball in a dirt hole. Killer on Gray fox. DO NOT SPILL IN HOUSE OR CAR.

Last edited:
another vote for bacon grease, older, moldier the better.
I carry a tin of the stuff then smear it on one end of a combo (cheese pretzel).
Old stale combos work as well as new ones.

Back