A little white bass action on Cinco de Mayo

DesertRam

Director
Staff member
Cinco de Mayo is a pretty big deal down here close to border. Rather than party down, we figured "How better to celebrate Cinco de Mayo than a day on the water?" So three generations - my dad, son, and I - headed to a nearby desert lake to see if we could rustle up a few fish. Reports from previous weeks were positive, indicating that the white bass were running pretty hard.

We started out trolling, which has been productive for us in the past. It wasn't long before the boy picked up the first one of the day (as usual).
Erik5May2018WhiteBass1-L.jpg

After that, trolling proved less than successful, so we started working the crankbaits looking for black bass. Turned out that's a pretty good way to catch a few white bass too, and I had a turn.
Troy5May2018WhiteBass1-L.jpg

Then the boy and I caught a "double" - each of us landed one at the same time.
TroyErik5May2018WhiteBass-L.jpg

My dad had boated a few by now too, but didn't slow down for me to take a picture until the third or fourth.
Paul5May2018WhiteBass1-L.jpg

Sometime around lunch the boy caught what I'm pretty sure is his first largemouth, and a keeper at that.
Erik5May2018Largemouth-L.jpg

A bit later, I hauled in a little one and while admiring it, Dad started hollering for the net. I couldn't help but snap this pic before helping him out.
Paul5May2018Catching%2BTroy%27s-L.jpg

And just after that we bagged a "triple" - all three landing a fish at the same time.
TroyPaulErik5May2018WhiteBass-L.jpg

Here's my dad unhooking a couple nice filets.
Paul5May2018WhiteBass2-L.jpg

And finally, a last double to end the day.
TroyErik5May2018WhiteBass2-L.jpg

And we even made it home with enough sunlight to filet them all out.
TroyPaulErik5May2018FinalHaul-L.jpg

They sure are a lot of fun to catch. Never really cared for them on the table. Good on you guys for getting out together. I miss my dad going with my son and I. Dad just can't make it out anymore so he wants to hear every detail of hunting and fishing trips.

3 generations fish'n - a really great day & ton of fun & pics to prove it.

Back in the day (1980s) son & I would occasionally get into a school of whites and pull them in on small jig/spinner baits.
We'd cast, count down 10 seconds or so, then jig back in. This is what we were using : Little George

Congrats on the day. Beats the heck out of beating a piñata, in my opinion. They are alot of fun to catch. If they're up top those little in line trout spinners are killer on them.

Originally Posted By: GCNever really cared for them on the table.

In true Cinco de Mayo style, we grilled them and made fish tacos. Pretty darn tasty that way!

Great fun, Troy, thanks for sharing and bringing back some fond memories.

Originally Posted By: GCThey sure are a lot of fun to catch. Never really cared for them on the table. Good on you guys for getting out together. I miss my dad going with my son and I. Dad just can't make it out anymore so he wants to hear every detail of hunting and fishing trips.

What's not to like about white bass, Gary? Just curious.

I didn't fish much fresh water but I really loved to catch the whitey's when they were schooling & like fried boneless fillets. I think they are as good as speckled trout and better than Redfish; guess its a matter of taste. Reds are really good grilled over mesquite, however.

Too bad your dad can't go with you any longer, Gary, but I'm sure you share lots of memories.

I don't know how long my dad had been unable to see his lure at the end of his cast when I finally figured out why he was getting so many backlashes. Spent many a memorable hour on the bay with him and my son before dad passed.

27344441157_169347cb3a_h.jpg

Regards,
hm

For me white bass just doesn't compare to crappie, bluegill, walleye or even catfish on the plate.

Yeah, dad is 85 and Parkinson's is working on him. It's really tough to watch him age so quickly and he's so weak now. I know it happens but it isn't easy watching your lifelong best friend, mentor and hero like this.

That explains it; never tried bluegill, crappie or walleye. Catfish is good, though.
grin.gif

Yep, watching our parents age is no fun.

Regards,
hm

Just caught a look at these pictures and all I have to say is "way to go". Neat deal to be able to fish with your dad and son. I spent my youth fishing with my dad and grandfather, memories and stories to last a lifetime.

I've been on the road for the past four months and just glances at the sight.

I'm looking forward to a little of that myself and some bowfishing next spring.

Originally Posted By: 10Bears Have you heard any reports of stripers there lately

Nothing more than what's on the G&F website. Sounds pretty slow for stripers, though I did hear of a nice one getting caught a couple weeks ago. White bass should be picking up pretty soon though!

Back