Best headlamp

Brittdog

Looking for a new headlamp. Not a scanning lite but a general duty headlamp for all my outdoors activities. I have destroyed two cheap ones this year, and want to get one I don't have to worry about screwing up. Needs to be waterproof, small, relatively bright, and have both white and red lights. what does everyone recommend?

The night eyes certainly checks all my boxes, but that is a lot of scratch for a gp headlamp. I'm thinking 50 bucks tops. Think I'm gonna go with the Black diamond Revolt or Petzl tacctikka. the Petzl isn't actually waterproof though.

Well, you said it had to be bright.
thumbup.gif
I don't consider those toy sized red LEDs bright.

Originally Posted By: Brittdog Think I'm gonna go with the Black diamond Revolt or Petzl tacctikka.

First I've seen with a dual LED but I haven't really been looking or paying attention. That reflector design wouldn't lend itself for a scanning light but as a general purpose light at night would be pretty cool. I been thinking about putting a light on my thermal helmet, one of these might be the way to go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG I don't consider those toy sized red LEDs bright.

What LED is in it?

Is it different from what's in the other lights?

What makes it toy sized vs real sized, man sized or whatever sized?

Is there a difference with the size of the LED?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pmackOriginally Posted By: DiRTY DOG I don't consider those toy sized red LEDs bright.

What LED is in it?

Is it different from what's in the other lights?

What makes it toy sized vs real sized, man sized or whatever sized?

Is there a difference with the size of the LED?

What makes an LED bright?

I think he's inferring that a camping headlamp with a bright white light and a very low powered red light designed for up close night work is not suitable for hunting. He's right unless the OP just wants to hunt with a white light.

Originally Posted By: pmack That reflector design wouldn't lend itself for a scanning light but as a general purpose light at night would be pretty cool.

I already acknowledged that.

Originally Posted By: olouttI suggest The Black Diamond . It is rechargeable, but if the rechargeable batteries die you can use AAA. Best of both worlds. It charges with a micro usb as described here https://www.techprohomes.com/best-rechargeable-headlamps/ .

I agree with Oloutt. I have multiple headlamps and use them all the time. For a gp use the Black Diamond has all kinds of features like red,green & blue/purple light.The high beam will clearly reach out and provide plenty of light for most applications. The downfall is with AAA batteries the super bright high beam doesn't last as long (3 hours) due to battery size. That being said the light has 30+ hours of usable light/runtime.

Back