what gun cleaner? Rifle.

First CLR(especially after high volume shooting or when someone asks me to clean for them). Kroil and patch to remove CLR. Then the Accelerator/Wipe out followed by Kroil. For storage, final is Hornady one shot. I brush only if I encounter a stubborn copper or carbon spot. I have used the JB on 17 bores to restore accuracy.

Quote:He11....I still use good ol Hoppe's #9 in my rimfires and handguns. Course that'll probably stop when I run out of the old smell good stuff.

Every time my wife gets in my truck, she complains it smells like a wet dog. I don't even HAVE a dog! Well, have to admit it did smell a bit musty ever since I buried it in a heavy rainstorm and wound up with an inch of water on floorboards.

What does this have to do with bore cleaner, you say? I'll tell ya what...Hopes 9 to the rescue. My son gave me this air freshener as a joke.

24952419867_43d928d91d_c.jpg

I have to admit the old truck does smell a lot better now and I found another use for that bottle of #9 sitting on my workbench.....give the freshener a squirt every once in a while and its as good as new again.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Well I invited a buddy to go to the store with me today in search of boretec and he says I have sweets and butches save your money. I figured ill give his stuff a try while waiting for stuff to be needed for a midway order. I think I found bortec locally but its 30min away and if I call he will just say yeah, I got it and probably wont like they always do.

He said take the sweets on a mop and coat the bore sit a few min and then patch it out until clean and run butches down to kind of kill the sweets and wait a few days and run sweets again and butches again and do this until patches stop showing blue. He does this with his old military stuff.

That seems amazingly labor intensive and unnecessary. I am not going to commit days to cleaning a rifle when there are products and techniques to do it efficiently.

I tried the CLR this evening. Seems to work, best I could tell. I ran about 5 wet patchs of CLR through the bore followed up with two patchs of Kroil. Then a wet patch of Wipe Out Accelerator, then 3 patchs of Wipe Out. Let it set about 30 minutes then used a teflon brush about 12 strokes followed with a few dry patchs then more wipe Out and let it set another 30 minutes. Did this three times. I'm using Dewey rods and jags with cotton patchs. I still get some blue on my patchs. Not much but some. Am I still not clean or am I getting a false reading off my jags? A Q-tip in the muzzle end of my barrel shows no copper at all, just bare shiny metal. I don't have a bore scope to look down the bore.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014

He said take the sweets on a mop and coat the bore sit a few min and then patch it out until clean and run butches down to kind of kill the sweets and wait a few days and run sweets again and butches again and do this until patches stop showing blue. He does this with his old military stuff.

That makes no sense what so ever. Once you patch out and neutralize the Sweets with Butches it stops working. What good would waiting a few days before applying again do?
Sweets works just fine for Copper removal and doesn't take that much time....just follow the directions on the bottle.

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: ohihunter2014

That makes no sense what so ever. Once you patch out and neutralize the Sweets with Butches it stops working. What good would waiting a few days before applying again do?
Sweets works just fine for Copper removal and doesn't take that much time....just follow the directions on the bottle.

He said what he has noticed on his military surplus rifles is the first round of sweets doesn't get every last bit of copper so by doing it several times your not leaving it in the bore longer to work longer but rather 5min one cleaning, 5 min the next cleaning until its all gone. He said on one of his rifles he purchased that wasn't taken care of like 3 times of doing this he was still getting blue patches. He suggested this due to me being afraid of it damaging the barrel. He also mentioned something about copper with a layer of carbon and then copper again but i really wasn't paying attention to that part.

I use wipe out. Between wipe out, like after firing a few shots hunting, I pull a patch of ballistol and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then I follow up with a dry patch or two. I certainly do not miss scrubbing with hoppes and copper remover.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: ohihunter2014

He said what he has noticed on his military surplus rifles is the first round of sweets doesn't get every last bit of copper so by doing it several times your not leaving it in the bore longer to work longer but rather 5min one cleaning, 5 min the next cleaning until its all gone. He said on one of his rifles he purchased that wasn't taken care of like 3 times of doing this he was still getting blue patches. He suggested this due to me being afraid of it damaging the barrel. He also mentioned something about copper with a layer of carbon and then copper again but i really wasn't paying attention to that part.

At the risk of repeating myself...."that makes no sense what so ever".
Once you've removed the Sweets what the difference in waiting three minutes and three days to repeat the procedure?

Again..."just follow the directions on the bottle".

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: ohihunter2014Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: ohihunter2014

Once you've removed the Sweets what the difference in waiting three minutes and three days to repeat the procedure?

Not being argumentative but i'm guessing so its not a long term, one time exposure to the barrel but rather several smaller exposures. I'm guessing this way it doesn't have to time start eating metal.

Pyscodog, I only see copper residue after 4-5 patches on "strange guns". If my cleaning procedure doesn't get the bore clean,I hit it once with JB and follow with 50/50 kroil and Hoppes benchrest. I use Pro shot jags and do not see jag leaching on patches. The JB is applied to a tight patch with Kroil and 10-12 strokes between chamber and muzzle.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: ohihunter2014Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: ohihunter2014

Not being argumentative but i'm guessing so its not a long term, one time exposure to the barrel but rather several smaller exposures. I'm guessing this way it doesn't have to time start eating metal.

Or.....he could simply "follow the directions on the bottle".

You're making absolutely zero sense at this point.....I'm out.

Sounds to me like he has to much time on his hands and doesn't want to finish a job that he started. While I wouldn't leave Sweets in a barrel over night, I think Sweets isn't quite as bad as people lead you to believe. If the directions are followed, on the bottle, I doubt you are going to harm your barrel. I'm with Repete, 3 minutes or three days doesn't make any sense to me.

For you boretech eliminator fans, do i need to buy the boretech special cleaning jag or will my normal one suffice? I think i'm going to pass on the sweets and get the boretech because i need a normal solvent anyways and if it cleans carbon and copper like it says it does its a win-win.

Originally Posted By: George FosterAs long as you don't use a brass plated jag you will be fine. The brass plated (or colored) jags are what give a false reading of copper.

Mine is all brass unfortunately. I couldn't believe they wanted $7 for their jag.

Back