what gun cleaner? Rifle.

ohihunter2014

Ive been looking at shooters choice, butches bore shine and a few others. Accuracy is starting to a get a little squirrely with my 223rem HB I mainly shoot v max and varmegeddon from at high velocity and my buddy thinks I have some copper build up. I don't care for sweets for the harmfulness of it to the barrel. This rifle hasn't seen anything but Hopps #9 patches here and there for about 500-700 rounds. Right now I just run a brush of hopps in the barrel and several dry patches and then a wet one and dry and done.

Any advice?

Sounds to me like your just hitting the high spots with your cleaning. I have/do use several different kinds of cleaners looking for the magic one but still haven't found it yet. Sweets won't harm your barrel IF you follow the directions correctly. I use Butch's, also use Truly Remarkable which I like, but recently got a bottle of Wipe Out. Its works good too. I find that all of them take some work with patchs and a brush to get the bore clean. JB bore paste is good for stubborn barrels but I don't use it very often. You will probably get dozens of answers to this question I'm sure.

I've been using Hoppes copper remover solvent, just let it soak a couple times for a few minutes. It gets at least cleaner than new in the box.
I have a habit of cleaning often or if I miss a coyote it gets cleaned, even if it has been only 20 shots this is a good excuse.
The Remington 40X cleaner did a pretty good job recently on my .223.
No doubt some wipe out would get a little more but accuracy has not been poor on paper, so it's a go without and cheaper.

Montana cleaning stuff is all very good stuff. I use only Montana brushes, and bore solvent. I'll use copper cleaner once a year or so. Or probably every 3-500 rounds

I’ve tried hoppes, hoppes elite, butch’s bore shine, and a few others. Bore Tech Eliminator is all I use now.

Whatever is used, after 5-700 rounds I think a brush will be needed. I can't imagine patchs alone will remove the copper fouling after that many rounds.

Originally Posted By: chzI’ve tried hoppes, hoppes elite, butch’s bore shine, and a few others. Bore Tech Eliminator is all I use now.

are you guys using boretech copper stuff or the normal bortech stuff? I seen both types on midway.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWhatever is used, after 5-700 rounds I think a brush will be needed. I can't imagine patchs alone will remove the copper fouling after that many rounds.

Normal hopps brush dipped or coated and run it thru?

My bore cleaning regimen has evolved over the years and the search of the best product(s) continues. Recently purchased a bore scope which really sheds some light on the subject.

Prior to obtaining the bore scope, the most recent products used were Hope's Bench Rest, which is a good product that can be left in bore overnight and cuts both carbon and copper well, albeit a bit slowly. It will remove copper (as indicated by patch color), given a few overnight sessions.
Heavily copper fouled barrels benefited from a good scrubbing using JB Paste and/or Gold Medallion (discontinued, but Remington produces under their brand now....may be the 40X that Tripod uses? Both are abrasive.

Have also used Wipeout & Gunslick foam, both of which remove copper very well, but carbon, not so much. Best results with the foam seems to be to patch/brush bore first w/Hoppes 9 or Benchrest to cut the carbon, then follow w/wipeout.

Currently experimenting with all of the Sharpshooter products and evaluating results w/bore scope; jury is still out but so far impressed with the Carb-Out first followed by Wipeout. Have not yet tried their Tactical Advantage but will work that in one of these days.product FAQ's Here Only complaint I have so far was the WSA-007 ADAPTER leaked badly at can and was a waste of product.

Worked in VFG pellets, discussed in recent post describing Orkan's Cleaning Method They worked as well as JB Paste and a lot less fuss, thanks Orkan. Pretty good discussion there. I have yet to get up the nerve to try the CLR. Maybe Orkan will weigh in on this thread and bring us up to date.
smile.gif

Lots of ways to get the job done, some a lot better than others.

Regards,
hm

I use Boretech also, the eliminator and the c4 carbon eliminator. They both work great, and don't stink and are safe for the bore. Patches and brushes. My main issue is the carbon, shooting ar's suppressed leaves a mess and 8208 seems to like to leave hard carbon in the throat and first few inches.

But after reading Orkan's article HM referenced above I tried clr for the first time yesterday. It is serious at carbon removal for sure. I don't know what effect, if any, leaving it for very long would do to steel so keep that in mind. I made sure to clean it all out and leave a film of oil. I haven't gotten ahold of any vfg pellets yet but I plan to.

I'm also experimenting with Bore Coat, a nano ceramic coating that's supposed to help make clean up easier and faster. I just shot the curing shots this afternoon in a barrel I coated yesterday. Those 8 shots left a lot of copper in a barrel that usually has next to none, so I hope that isn't indicative of things to come. I will post up what I find with later cleanings.

Originally Posted By: hm1996My bore cleaning regimen has evolved over the years and the search of the best product(s) continues. Recently purchased a bore scope which really sheds some light on the subject.

Prior to obtaining the bore scope, the most recent products used were Hope's Bench Rest, which is a good product that can be left in bore overnight and cuts both carbon and copper well, albeit a bit slowly. It will remove copper (as indicated by patch color), given a few overnight sessions.
Heavily copper fouled barrels benefited from a good scrubbing using JB Paste and/or Gold Medallion (discontinued, but Remington produces under their brand now....may be the 40X that Tripod uses? Both are abrasive.

Have also used Wipeout & Gunslick foam, both of which remove copper very well, but carbon, not so much. Best results with the foam seems to be to patch/brush bore first w/Hoppes 9 or Benchrest to cut the carbon, then follow w/wipeout.

Currently experimenting with all of the Sharpshooter products and evaluating results w/bore scope; jury is still out but so far impressed with the Carb-Out first followed by Wipeout. Have not yet tried their Tactical Advantage but will work that in one of these days.product FAQ's Here Only complaint I have so far was the WSA-007 ADAPTER leaked badly at can and was a waste of product.

Worked in VFG pellets, discussed in recent post describing Orkan's Cleaning Method They worked as well as JB Paste and a lot less fuss, thanks Orkan. Pretty good discussion there. I have yet to get up the nerve to try the CLR. Maybe Orkan will weigh in on this thread and bring us up to date.
smile.gif

Lots of ways to get the job done, some a lot better than others.

Regards,
hm

I used Hopps bench rest years ago but figured for the low price which was on par with normal #9 and not many reviews it might be a gimmick. I finished up an old 2-3yo jar during the summer and swabbed the bore and got distracted and came back and patch ends were blueish green color. I just dried out the barrel with more patches and left it at that. once it was gone I went back to normal Hopps #9. I am also having issues with getting low readings with a Hornady OAL tool and lands measurements and my buddy thinks I have carbon build up. Summer time it was 10-15k higher than last weeks reading.

Quote:I used Hopps bench rest years ago but figured for the low price which was on par with normal #9 and not many reviews it might be a gimmick.

Nope, BR does better job on copper than 9 (again, based on patch color, not bore scope). Still use Benchrest/Kroil mix while rifle still warm after shooting to soften things up a bit.

Regards,
hm

I bought a bottle of CLR tonite to give it a try. Kinda leery but figure I'll give it a go. ANy suggestions on how long to leave it in the bore?

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI bought a bottle of CLR tonite to give it a try. Kinda leery but figure I'll give it a go. ANy suggestions on how long to leave it in the bore?

It is a pretty good one. Don't let it cook too long as I have read it can etch the steel. But I can't verify that info...

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: pyscodogI bought a bottle of CLR tonite to give it a try. Kinda leery but figure I'll give it a go. ANy suggestions on how long to leave it in the bore?

It is a pretty good one. Don't let it cook too long as I have read it can etch the steel. But I can't verify that info...

Originally Posted By: orkan
The first chemical I use in the bore is CLR. Travis Stevens at TS Customs turned me on to this product a few months back as something to try for cleaning my suppressor baffles. CLR is a household chemical which is generally used to clean toilets, showers, sinks, and other items. It's namesake would suggest it is very good at removing calcium, lime, and rust buildup. I've not used it in that capacity, but I'll tell you what it is absolutely amazing at removing: Carbon fouling!!! I push about 5 or so patches wet with CLR through the bore and a massive amount of carbon fouling will be removed. Next I put a VFG aggressive pellet soaked with CLR on the ProShot adapter and scrub the throat. The VFG pellet allows for a back-and-forth motion that allows you to really scrub it good. This demolishes a stubborn carbon ring in record time. To date I've found nothing which takes the carbon fouling out of the throat faster or easier. It takes 30 seconds for rimfires and centerfires with light fouling and no more than 5 minutes for stubborn centerfires with rough throats. The VFG pellet can be "tightened" while in the bore simply by rotating the shaft on the cleaning rod to screw the pellet on a bit more. I used to loathe attacking a carbon ring, but the combination of the aggressive VFG pellet and the CLR makes short work of the job. Below are some before and after images of the throat in a 22lr and a centerfire. While I wasn't super careful about ensuring the scope was in the exact same spot for each picture, it will give you some idea. CLR and an aggressive VFG pellet can do in 60 seconds what would take 60 minutes with my old solvents and methods. ... and it does it without having to use pastes that get stuck everywhere and make a mess.

http://primalrights.com/library/articles/evolution-barrel-cleaning

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: pyscodogSounds to me like your just hitting the high spots with your cleaning. I have/do use several different kinds of cleaners looking for the magic one but still haven't found it yet. Sweets won't harm your barrel IF you follow the directions correctly. I use Butch's, also use Truly Remarkable which I like, but recently got a bottle of Wipe Out. Its works good too. I find that all of them take some work with patchs and a brush to get the bore clean. JB bore paste is good for stubborn barrels but I don't use it very often. You will probably get dozens of answers to this question I'm sure.

That about covers it.
I use SC because that's what I started with but I'll buy Butches if I can't get SC.
Sweets for copper fowling.
Wipe Out foam's handy in a motel room when shooting colony varmints.
Lots of good products out there these days.
He11....I still use good ol Hoppe's #9 in my rimfires and handguns. Course that'll probably stop when I run out of the old smell good stuff.

I have had the habit of cleaning my centerfire rifles every 20 rds for 40yrs now. I have used a lot of different cleaning methods but for the past few years there are two cleaners I use all the time now. I use Bore Tech Eliminator for the main cleaner and then if I have any stubborn copper in the barrel I use Bore Tech Copper Remover. I have never used the Bore Tech Carbon remover as I feel the Eliminator removes the carbon buildup if there is any.

Back