Massachusetts predator hunters

Sorry, I wasn't clear, they say whats illegal, like bait and dogs, not illegal, its legal. Like no electronic calls for deer, but you know you can rattle, or use a grunt call.

masshunter:
I thought this would be how you came to your conclusion. I agree that something not written as "illegal" should be considered "legal". Considering the state we live in I'm always cautious.

Thanks for the response and good luck if you try calling one.

Got my first red fox today!!
Not much of a story though. Happened quicker than any hunt I've been on. I must have set up right on top of her because she came in within 30 seconds of hand calling. Shot her at 22 yards in some thick young pines. She's a small one maybe 12 lbs but big or small, a first is a first!! Called her in with one of Catwhacker's calls!
[img:left]https://www.flickr.com/gp/156980719@N03/70093q[/img]
[img:left]https://www.flickr.com/gp/156980719@N03/3e08CY[/img] [img:left][/img]
2018-01-19_01-04-52_zpstpfc9geo.jpg

Last edited:

Used two different pheasant sounds for 20 minutes then switched to Lightning Jack. Within a few minutes this 36 pound male came running in. Shot him at 60 yards, Savage .223 using a 55gr Sierra BlitzKing.

Last edited:
W. MA Hunter
Thanks. Did you figure out how to post pics of your red fox? I've only ever called in one gray, but never a red.

There's a good tutorial on the Photo Gallery page:

video how to post photos
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 all )
by 7mmCritterGetter

Just go to the bottom of page 8. Makes it pretty easy.

Nice going Duck, Don't have any pheasant sounds, but that and turkey are on to do list. Not doing too well this season, but not getting out much. You got a lot more snow than me.

masshunter:

FYI:
FoxPro also has some "chicken in distress" sounds. I have helped to release pheasants on a preserve and especially the hens can do a lot of squawking. The chicken distress is a little deeper sounding than the pheasant distress.

I have only used pheasant sounds a few times, but haven't had any response, yet. I have seen both coyote and bobcat respond to turkey gobbles and hen turkey sounds, but so far the only things that have responded in the winter to turkey gobbles are gobblers.

Thanks Duck. I'm gonna order some sounds. I used to use a turkey call quite a bit when I first started with no luck, except during turkey season when coyotes were out of season.

Got a 36 1/2 pound male today on my 5th stand. Came into a mix of bird sounds. I'd been carrying a rifle lately because of hangups, don't you know this guy came in close thru thick stuff and I had to thread a bullet thru it at about 50 feet.

Originally Posted By: masshunterGot a 36 1/2 pound male today on my 5th stand. Came into a mix of bird sounds. I'd been carrying a rifle lately because of hangups, don't you know this guy came in close thru thick stuff and I had to thread a bullet thru it at about 50 feet.

thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterGot my first red fox today!!
Not much of a story though. Happened quicker than any hunt I've been on. I must have set up right on top of her because she came in within 30 seconds of hand calling. Shot her at 22 yards in some thick young pines. She's a small one maybe 12 lbs but big or small, a first is a first!! Called her in with one of Catwhacker's calls!
[img:left]https://www.flickr.com/gp/156980719@N03/70093q[/img]
[img:left]https://www.flickr.com/gp/156980719@N03/3e08CY[/img] [img:left][/img]

Sweet!! Nothing better than hand calling them in!!
Nice work!!!!
2018-01-19_01-04-52_zpstpfc9geo.jpg

Got a late start this morning, but headed for a WMA that holds deer late in the year and figured I'd combine calling and antler hunting. sure enough mid morning I saw about 5 or 6 flags bouncing away, and I could even smell them, so set up for about half an hour of fawn distress. No takers , then moved on but switched to vocals and bird sounds after I found fresh bear tracks. Had one coyote respond, but a tough , twisting, steep uphill shot and missed. No yote and no antlers, but found a nice beech grove with lots of scratched up trees to check out next fall.

Originally Posted By: masshunterGot a late start this morning, but headed for a WMA that holds deer late in the year and figured I'd combine calling and antler hunting. sure enough mid morning I saw about 5 or 6 flags bouncing away, and I could even smell them, so set up for about half an hour of fawn distress. No takers , then moved on but switched to vocals and bird sounds after I found fresh bear tracks. Had one coyote respond, but a tough , twisting, steep uphill shot and missed. No yote and no antlers, but found a nice beech grove with lots of scratched up trees to check out next fall.

At least you called one in, that provided some action.

I've been keeping my eye out for sheds, nothing yet.

Back