Safe Queen Keepers

Mine has been cut off and lengthened a bunch of time I think just about everyone of my nieces and nephews have grown up shooting it.

I have a 1966 Sako Forester in about mint condition, from the original buyer. I haven’t even shot it, no need. At this point I don’t see a reason to sell it either, it’s in 243.

My biggest problem with safe queens is that I can't stand to have a gun that I can't shoot. I used to collect old Winchester rifle and shotguns. Well knowing that if I shot the really pristine ones I'd lose value so I never shot them. Then one day I thought to myself what good is owning all these guns when I can't do anything with them. Best I could do is take them out of the safe once in a while, look at them, clean them, then put them back.

I said this is crazy so I up and sold my whole gun collection and bought myself 80 acres in Minnesota. Best decision I've ever made. I've shot a 140" buck, a 160" buck, and a slew of pheasants off the property and plan to retire there when I'm done working.

I've got several that never get shot. One is a S&W model 16 in 32 H&R Magnum from my Dad that is quite rare. Another is a model 5 Remington takedown in 32 rimfire that my grand dad bought used before my Dad was born and I actually have a box of rounds for it at least 70 years old. Last is a matching pair of Gustloff German WWII trainers that Dad brought home from Germany. One I grew up with and has a million rounds thru it but the other has never been fired. They are extremely accurate 22 single shots with bayonets and adjustable elevation rear sights. Reason I don't shoot my old friend is the eyes have let me down.

I have 4 that ill never get rid of.
one is a .22 that was my dads pride and joy. its a Remington speedmaster BDL.
another is a old Mossberg 22 bolt action that I have had since I was 5 (almost 40 now).
a 410 shotgun that my dad bought me for Christmas one year when I was in my 20s.
the last is a Savage pump in 35 Rem that was my uncles. he passed it to me before he passed away.

my dad is gone and so is my Uncle and those guns will be passed down to my son when the time comes.
everything else that I buy is a different story. I kinda wish now I had all the guns back that I have sold over the years.
and sad part is a lot of them were sold because of an X-Wife that didn't know how to pay bills so when it came down to it my guns were sold to pay for bills.
never again will that happen. if I want to get rid of them its my choice no one else's now.

I always thought I would inherit my Dad's 1943 Colt 1911A1, but when it became obvious that he had Alzheimers, I had to take his car keys and his Colt. Dad was a WWII Marine and that was his sidearm. He had always been meticulous in keeping it clean, until the last ten years. He passed three years ago at age 91, When I got the pistol I stripped it to the frame, soaked the parts and cleaned everything, then replaced the springs and put it back together. I fired one magazine through it to make sure everything functioned and then put it away to be saved for my Son. It's the only gun I own that I don't shoot. The day will come when that will be handed over to my Son along with my own Dan Wesson V-Bob and a Kimber Classic Carry Pro.

A couple browning bar Belgium made 7mags one was grandpas gun. One browning a5 Belgium and then one Winchester model 94 in 32 special it is engraved and has the big loop my dad bought it the year John Wayne died that is the only gun that has not been shot.

Back