First time for everything..... I guess...

huntschool

The long and short of it is.... bore sighting a new scope. I had a Zeiss scope installed and bore sighted on a Ruger #1 22 PPC at a well known fire arms store near home. During the installation there were some problems getting the rings right but we got past that OK. I should mention, I usually do this all myself but chose to have it done just because I was lazy and was also a bit short on time.

Any way, went to the range yesterday to check this scope and adjust my 17 Fire Ball to some new loads. Fire Ball worked great. Got tuned in with about 4 shots and then proceeded to fire some "play around" rounds. Best group was under 3/8 at 100. My breathing was horrible.

Then it was on to the PPC. The guy in the store said he had it bore sighted so I took his word for it. My usual results with a good bore sighting put me within 6 or so inches of target. Well, not so this time. I fired 2 shots and could not find a hole on the poster board the target face was stuck to (this at 50 yards). I thought what the heck..... Finally, after looking real hard I noticed a mark on the top of the poster board. That made impact over 1 foot (or more) high...

Rather then gauge around and feeling pretty sure the gun was shooting extremely high I moved to the bottom of the poster board and over about 6 inches off the edge and let one go. It landed at least 18" high. So, a lot of down dialing and some horz. adjustment and I was finally on.

Point being, bore sighting is just that, bore sighting. To have this much "off" setting was a bit strange for me. I got it done and the PPC is a Laser with 50 gr Berger's at 3400 fps. One rough hole three shot group. Let the barrel cool down a good bit and shot one shot.
X ring...... Thats way less than 1 minute of coyote.....

It was 60* yesterday (Jan 11) while I was shooting with a bit of rain. Today (Jan 12) as I write this its 16* and we have had freezing rain, sleet and about 2" of snow over night.

Glad I got out there yesterday.

Anyone else had a big variation in impact from bore sighting??????

Last edited:
Bore sighting sucks. I have tried and there is WAAAAAY too much play in most bore sighting gizmos.

I redneck bore sight all my guns now. I lock the rifle into my cleaning vice, remove the bolt and shine a laser pen down the bore. It will create a halo on the wall across the house. I then center my reticle inside the halo. Usually puts me really dang close.

I wouldn't trust a gun shop to touch my scope let alone install the rings. If rings are installed at the factory, I'd take them off and re-install them myself just so I know it was done correctly. I'd much rather do it once the right way than risk having to troubleshoot later and have to tear it apart anyways.

You would not believe the people I've heard of that figured the store bore sight job is close enough to deer hunt with !
scared.gif

DD et al:

Yea, I agree.... I normally do this myself but, like I said, I got lazy and figured these guys are big and I have stood around and watched them mount scopes before and the y were very precise with torque and setting eye relief distance so what the heck. I am really not angry with them, more myself for doing it this way.

I have been tempted to purchase one of those in bore laser things as I have heard they work quite well. However the only time I would need it is mounting a new scope or after a complete tear down for what ever reason.

I usually use the same through the bore technique on my #1's and it has worked with moderate success. Normally I will do larger target paper so I cant hardly not get a hole in the paper....... LOL

Back