Longest Distance to kill a deer

With minimal practice, I'm good to 40 yds. When I practice a lot I go out to my 60 yd pin, but would only take a first shot to 50 yds. With that practice I can put each arrow in the kill zone from every position at 50.

Wind plays [beeep] with arrows. It's all about the close game with archery. I've had big animals walk on me because they were 60-70 yds away and had no regrets.

I see shots being taken routinely on the outdoor channels out to ridiculous distances. Mostly by shooters (so called professionals) that have no business shooting fifty yards let alone 70,80 or 90!
I believe they're teaching our young hunters that it's ok to take hail marry shots that are marginal at best.

Most of us took up the archery challenge to fool the animals on their terms, ie. up close and personal. I can, and do shoot in excess of a hundred yards when practicing. Mostly because I love to watch the arrow fly, and the amazement of how accurate they can be at those ranges. But if my woodsmanship skills are not able to get the animal inside of fifty yards (hopefully much closer) then he gets a free pass for that day.

This post is a little old, but the first time I've seen it.........My longest is 35yds and I only felt comfortable doing it because it was in a field. I practice out to 50yds, but would never consider a shot at that distance. I hunt in southeastern Missouri and I usually go out of my way to hunt the thicker parts of the property. My idea of bow hunting is....how close can I get them to come without them knowing anything is wrong. Far shots really don't interest me and I'm not faulting those of you that take them, provided you know where every little noodle size branch is from point A to B. I took a 12 pointer at 14yds Nov. 4th, I would have let him got closer, but he getting ready to step out of the shooting lane.

Here Kitty Kitty

I shoot targets regularly out to 100 and can Consistently "kill" a target deer from that far but targets dont move lol a lot can happen in 100 yards of travel time! If I felt confident in the shot I'd shoot a deer from 60..

I have taken whitetails at 52 and 60 yards, I practice at 80 a lot.

My Hoyt Alphaburner with Gold Tip Velocity arrows is a real monster. I can hold an 7"-8" group at 80 almost all day and easily hold a 6" group at 60. My first pin hits 2" high at 20 yards and 2" low 40, then I have a 50, 60, 70 and 80 yard pin. I've only had one deer duck under an arrow but it was at 50 yards but I was still-hunting and she had me pegged before I released, I swear she saw my trigger finger twitch and that was all it took.

Like Arizona Wildcat said above, practice at long range really improves closer range shooting.

Originally Posted By: BowhuntI can place arrows in the kill zone of a 3D deer target at 100 yards. However.....Foam 3D targets don't move. I love my shots 30 yards or less but would be comfortable shooting out to 50 yards under perfect conditions.

Probably the truest statement in the whole post. Practicing at long range isn't a bad thing...it makes the close shots easy but like said, a lot can happen from the time an arrow leaves the bow and reach's a target 100yds away. It can go from a perfect heart shot to a gut shot in one step of the animal (deer). I've been shooting a bow for a long time and seen so many bad hits on deer from hunters thinking they could make the shot, it make me sick. Bow hunting is not a long range sport. Its up close and personal. Just my opinion, if it over 50 yards, let it walk. Hunt it another day.

Not to offend anyone but for myself I consider 20 yards a long shot. I'm sure it can and has be done at longer range. I do practice and have shot 3D shoots at longer ranges but think that I became a better hunter when I put limits on myself. Sometime you don't really need to punch a tag to have a good hunt.

In some places im sure 20 yards could be considered a long shot.. from my experience out here in western kansas since i moved out here 4 years ago thats just not very far at all. Limiting myself to 20 yards spot and stalking with my bow in my area would be like limiting myself to 80 yards with my .300WM.. But like i said, its probably a regional and personal preference thing.

My longest is 64 yards on a cow elk, and 71 yards on a mule deer.

That was quite a few years ago. I don't do that anymore.

I have never had the opportunity to shoot a deer at that range, but I have shot an antelope at 50 and an elk at 78 yards. I had been shooting 3 days a week out to 100 yards so when the time came to shoot at long distance it seemed like any other shot. Both shots were heart shots and I watched the animals die quickly.

Back