Cougar Calling this year

I also have had whistled returned. Also Wuffs. Not sure if the GROWLS that I have heard were meant for my caller/sounds or for ME (busted?).

Probably both!
w00t.gif
It was responding to the call, but you were intruding!

Originally Posted By: SlagiattGetting up in the a.m. to hit unit 113. If the snows not too bad im planning on staying at least 3 days.
Good luck! I'm ready to read another call in story!

Originally Posted By: jumprightinitIs Unit 113 still open ?

Yes sir it is. Went over today to a spot ive never been to. Did 3 sets, no customers. But it was a good day. Never seen so many deer anywhere besides private agricultural land. Area i was in was flat out crawling with whitetail, it was unreal. And the odd thing is, only cut 2 sets of yote tracks and 1 set of lion tracks. With the absurd number of deer in there, i would think the area would be full of lions, wolves, yotes and bobs. But for whatever reason, i saw very little evidence of predators. This spot just made it onto my short list of to-do deer scouting areas. Was ready to spend 3 or 4 days lion hunting there, but work called and ruined my plans. Back home now.

Last edited:
Went back out today. 75 mile drive to same spot. Man, i was falling through snow up to mid thigh, but deer were still in there. Nowhere lower for them to go. Set up and called for an hour, then did some contact whistles, waited 10 minutes then called it. Before leaving i circled the area. Found a smoking hot set of bobcat tracks that snuck into the thickest cover in front of me. Im pretty certain i called it in, it busted me and snuck out. If ida had my preferred scenario of a hunting partner set up 100 or so yards from me i think it would have been a successful hunt. Nobody seems motivated enough to go with me in the deep of winter and fight the snow though.

Found an excellent spot to call, tomorrow im going back with a friend. Going to do the same routine we used successfully last year. He will sit on cliff above me with birds eye view, and ill hide real well down below. Ill use the same call i used last year, just for good juju.

Thanks to Steve from Rainshadow. I purchased his call sounds and seminars, learned a lot. Called hard got smarter and kept learning. Finally this last Thursday (23rd aug) had two stroll/crawl in just before dark. It was a shock! Kinda like calling coyotes, you expect it and hope for it but you're still suprized when they show up. Except it's 100 times more gratifying. I probably passed on dozens of coyotes

Forgot to add a pic

Last edited:
Congratulations! The pay off for one heck of a lot of hard work!

I am sure Steve will amble by soon with his .02 worth before long.

Best regards

Three 44s

That’s awesome! Calling a cat is on my bucketlist. Which call of his were you using if you don’t mind me asking? The whistle or a distress?

I used alittle distress but mostly whistles I believe the whistles caused them to come right in. The entire ordeal was pretty bazar. I might post it on predator hunting in the next few days.

I dont mind sharing at all. It is so difficult calling lions VS coyotes. There is no comparison. I did 60-70 stands, hundreds of hours. There will be few people compared to coyote hunters who have success and therefore give up. I admit that this could have happened on the first stand but it didn't for me.

I have called in two using a Weems Wild call, Duo Tone and a Lohman MVP-3 adjusted to sound very coarse at the long range setting on the hand call. Called in Deer and elk with the same call, several black bear. To animals, I think that the sound is like a new born calf or fawn.

Of course, I never had a tag for any of these large big game animals. Bear get quite confused when they come in hard charging and then realize that there is nothing there to eat or take away from another animal.

N. Arizona and in the 4 corners area of Az has more black bears than you could imagine, lions also.

gBo, that is an accomplishment of a life time! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
Now, if you could call in a bear and get him, that would be the icing on the cake.

You will kill 10 bears before you kill another lion, more than likely. Browning BAR in 30/06 is a good black bear gun or a 270 loaded with 150-160g nosler partitions.

Originally Posted By: g BoThanks to Steve from Rainshadow. I purchased his call sounds and seminars, learned a lot. Called hard got smarter and kept learning. Finally this last Thursday (23rd aug) had two stroll/crawl in just before dark. It was a shock! Kinda like calling coyotes, you expect it and hope for it but you're still suprized when they show up. Except it's 100 times more gratifying. I probably passed on dozens of coyotes

Forgot to add a pic

g_Bo, this needs its own post! Good job man, good job!

Back