Coyote, Fisher cat, and other preditors[

bowhunting

Hi I am new to this forum and bow hunting. I wanted to know if anyone hunts coyote in CT? If so do calls work and the wagging tail decoy or do you have better ways of attracting them?
Also what do you look for when setting up a hunting area? Any suggestions would be helpful.

I hunt a few towns that boarder CT. Calls absolutely do work as well as decoys but they aren't a gimme for hunting. Your not just going to turn on a call or start blowing into a call and have a coyote in your lap. Maybe sometimes.
Are you planning on bowhunting coyotes? Feel free to PM me if you'd like

Over the past few years I've been calling a majority of my coyotes into bow range and decided to give bow hunting a try as a just started bow fishing again after 55 years. I hunted deer and small game from 1955 to 1972. I bought a compound and this is a whole new learning experience for me. I set up a archery range in the back yard so I can get some muscle build up and learn the fine art of hitting these little guys, I hope to get down to NM this spring and work on some coyotes and jack rabbits with the bow. .

With a bow Ill be using a caller with a remote and a decoy as there is a lot of movement to get the bow drawn and it would be pretty hard to run a mouth call and have both hands free to operate the bow. I think it might be a good time to add a diaphragm call to the arsenal of calls

Good luck to you all

Last edited:
I hunt deer with a bow but have been getting more and more into shooting all year round and one of my friends i do most of my hunting with have talked about doing a "Year of The Bow" for our 2018 seasons. We are takling about hunting everything with a bow except for birds. I am actually getting excited about it. I have shot coons and some squirells but that was always just a target of opportunity while deer hunting. Hope it works out for you.

It is a challenge but it can be done.........
4NPgYNe.jpg

And when you really want a challenge!
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...741#Post2718741

Yeah, but it's a lot tougher for us mere mortals!
smile.gif
[/quote]

I have to a agree. When I want to cross water I have to find some more shallow than my boots are tall. There are others that seem to be able to "walk on water". All those that have called in an killed a wolf with trad gear don't even need boots. Of course that is a DANG SMALL group though.

I also hunt with a longbow. Good to see another Stick bow shooter here. My "predator hunting" with my bow so far has consisted of missing a coyote, a fox, and a bobcat. Ha. Only thing I've connected on (other than deer) are a coon, a possum, and some armadilllos (those are hard on arrows).

Last edited:
I've shot both coyotes and fox from a tree stand while bowhunting for deer. If you are using a compound, draw the bow as soon as you see them and wait for a good shot. With a recurve or lb, just have to hope they go behind a tree or some other object to block your movement.

Back