with good bullet selection, the blackout is a good medium game hunting caliber. I use mine for whitetails here in michigan.

the 125 SST is a great whitetail bullet, the same goes for 110gr vmax or 110 varmageddons. however the 110 barnes blacktip is the king of all things 300blk hunting - it expands down to 1400 fps giving it an effective range of > 300 yds. the vmax, sst and varmageddon's are going to be limited to about 150 yds max effective range.

you're not going to get the explosive effects of high velocity cartridges - even vmax or the varmageddons are going to act more like a typical controlled expansion bullet at blackout velocity's. however with decent shot placement, any of the 4 above bullets will be more than sufficent to make critters deer sized and under attain room temperature.

Just make sure you know your drops and the range limits of the bullet you select and you're good to go.

if you're interested in subsonic hunting - bullet selection gets quite a bit trickier and knowing your drops more critical. Subsonic expanding projectiles are expensive due to the materials and processes needed to make them act the way we want them to on impact.

heres a great little info bit on bullet expansion and their effective ranges in the 300 blk in regards to hunting projectile selection

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=97188