Pictures From Africa

xphunter

Springbok at 80-90 yards standing

Warthog at 35 yards.

Kudu at 350ish, kneeling shot.

Jackal at 100 yards standing

Blesbuck 340ish sitting shot (Corrected distance)

Blue wildebeest 155 yards proneish on a rock

Eland sitting and shooting off of a rock under 200 yards.

Springbok at 395 yards, shooting off a termite mound.

Of the 16 animals, at least nine of the kills I used the Bog-Gear (sitting, kneeling, and standing).
I learned a lot of things.
Since there was no stand hunting, or just get out of the vehicle and shoot over the top of it, hunting or ground blind hunting--all spot and stalk or still hunting.
Most of these animals do not hang around very long and the springbok are like squirrels on crack.
I walked from 7 to 10 miles per day and one day we went 12 miles.
I need a flexible, yet light, yet stable, shooting rest that is quick to change from sitting to standing or kneeling.
The Bog Gear is too slow to switch quickly from sitting, kneeling, and standing.
There was almost a handful of times where I missed a opportunity when I ran out of time to make the shot by 2-8 seconds
The only time I used my bipod (The one exception was my Highwind blesbok) was when it was on a big rock or on a termite mound.
Next time I will probably go with the cartridge no larger than a Winchester short mag or a short action ultra mag in 6.5 or 7mm.
We had a couple of guys using 6.5 creed Rifles ( 130 grain in 140 grain accubonds) and they did great.
This included Eland, Waterbuck, Gemsbok, and kudu.
I think a lighter recoiling specialty pistol will make it easier to shoot in positions other than prone.
The grass was fairly high there.
The price for a 16 animal package in six days of hunting was $3750, and that included six large animals and 10 small animals.
Blesbuck and springbok are considered small animals.
For South Africa, this is a bargain.
You can also upgrade on a specific animal if you ever want to.
The food and accommodations were wonderful.
When you're being guided by a professional hunter that kills 300 to 400 game animals per year, you are being led by someone with experience that far surpasses the majority of hunters little alone PH's.
Ranch surpasses 50,000 acres.
Big Water Safaris - http://www.bigwatersafaris.com/about.html

Looks like you went on a bucket list, hunt of a lifetime. I really like that jackal...

I know you said spot and stalk, does that include the jackal? You did not call it?

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Looks like you went on a bucket list, hunt of a lifetime. I really like that jackal...

I know you said spot and stalk, does that include the jackal? You did not call it?

No calling

Great hunt! Funny the Wildebeest was one of your closer kills and they're notorious for being hard to get up on.

Last edited:
My very last large animal I killed was a blue wildebeest and we stalked to under 80 yards on a whole group of them.
It was a bold and amazing stalk.

Originally Posted By: xphunter My very last large animal I killed was a blue wildebeest and we stalked to under 80 yards on a whole group of them.
It was a bold and amazing stalk.

Great pictures of a cool hunt.

I killed my blue wildebeest at about 80 yards too, freehand standing with a .338 Win Mag. Like you say, great fun!

Originally Posted By: twhiteyWow
Price is really fair...How about your taxidermy bill lol. Congrats on a sweet looking hunt...

Doing several shoulder mounts and a few Europeans

I shoulder mounted my kudu. It's a big sucker, but I couldn't resist. The rest are skull mounts and/or flat hides. I love the zebra rug on the wall! Next go-round, if there is one, I'll try for a giraffe and a few of the little guys, and maybe a bigger kudu, and some more jackals, and maybe a caracal, and... Well, you understand.
grin.gif

Not sure all together on cost being shipped back. Not mounting all 16 of them for sure.
Skull/European mounts are being done over there. Shoulder mounts (3) are being done here in the states.

Originally Posted By: RemingtonmanWhat where the calibers choices you used on your hunt xphunter? Looks like a blast.

The XP-100 is chambered in 7mm Dakota.
The revolver is a customized Ruger GP-100 in 357 Magnum called the Franken-Ruger

Back