Yet another exciting night in lion country

Slagiatt

So i checked a cam right behind my house today. Young lion was walking up my trail at 5am. Barely old enough to be on its own. My first thought was that its the type of cat to have trouble killing deer, and therefore apt to be a trouble maker. Just got a call from my neighbor that the people down the road had one of their pet cats killed by a cougar last night, and that the game department is heading this way with a pack of hounds right now to track down the vicious 80lb devil cat. I can see that kind of reaction over livestock depredation, but a [beeep] house cat??? Anyway, theres no shortage of lions around here, so i passed the word that they can come over here to get a head start on tracking the dangerous beast. I figure even if they dont take me up on that offer, and start the chase at the scene of the crime, the hounds will end up rolling through here anyway. I think ill stay up to listen to the chase.

I feel stupid now. My neighbor told me it killed a calf, not a cat. Apparently i need to clean my ears out. Makes a lot more sense.

did they end up running past your house? It's unlikely but could have been a different cat.

I have family on Wharehouser property that run down cats and bust up beaver dams. (chase the cats on Fish and game orders) To bad they have such crazy rules and laws that make Fish and Game less about responsible management and more a wing of PETA.

I grew up there in Seattle, and floated many of the western and central rivers as a guide. Friends i know tell me i wouldn't believe the changes if i read it.

Might be a interesting challenge to try your hand at trapping if they are coming that close. Assuming that it's not some Felony to do so next to the house.

Illegal to trap them. And its not at all unlikely that its a different cat. I get tons of lions on cam here at my house. I had at least 8 different ones on cam here in a 6 month period. And i only have 21 acres. Never heard any hounds, so i dont know what happened. Saw a game warden drive by my house couple hours ago, so im guessing the cat is still at large. Im trying to get an update.

Back