Found some burl.

ultramag

Now to cut some off....
w00t.gif

Every little popcorn bubble is an eye... looks nice! What kind of tree is that? If this is your 1st one, you need to be careful. I've had to trash my share of 'em (and it hurts!). Some don't dry to friendly, they want to draw up and split.

Not sure what kind of tree yet,it's still bare. I was going to cut a basketball size piece off and see what it looks like inside.

That tree is either ash or hickory. It looks more on the ash side and those bumps look like what happens when the tree gets full of ash borers. It's a wonder the tree is still alive.

Crazy looking...

Growing that close to water and being that big, I'd say willow or cottonwood.

We have 10's of thousands of ash trees here locally . All dead from Ash Borers and not one has a bump of any kind. Any burly bumps here are normally hickory or oak.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeCrazy looking...

Growing that close to water and being that big, I'd say willow or cottonwood.

We have 10's of thousands of ash trees here locally . All dead from Ash Borers and not one has a bump of any kind. Any burly bumps here are normally hickory or oak.

The oldest tree in the state of Maryland is an ash, it's owned by a friend of mine and is about a mile from my house. The tree is over 300 years old and has some sort of historic designation here. It got ash borers a few years ago and the state paid over $5000.00 to have it "treated". I don't know what they did for five grand, but the tree is still alive and healthy, but it has knots just like this one pictured. Not anywhere near as many, but they are there. Most are out on the smaller limbs, but there is a few on the trunk. Bark looks exactly like this one.

Pretty neat msinc .

I wonder what the treatment was ? I can see a healing ash tree getting those bumps. Ash borer pretty much wiped out our ash here.

We have just got the borers bad here and really don't have a lot of ash trees, in fact they are kind of rare in these parts. I think the borers usually get into the trees when they are young and end up killing them before they ever have the chance to "burl up". I don't know what the chemical was, but the state hired some kind of tree expert and they used a big bucket truck to go over and spray the entire tree several times over a couple months. Sounded more like one of our typical state funded boondoggles to me. And yes, the "burls" happen as the tree heals...this one was treated and the owner said it didn't knot up like that until well after the treatment was over.
I have a tree on my land with one of those big balls on it. Not sure, but I think it is a red oak. I am interested now, I will cut it down next time I get a chance and saw it up to see if any of it is usable.

Back