NEW CRITTER CAM PICS!!

Theshedhunter

After my hunting partner killed his bull elk, I placed my Browning trail cam over the remains of the carcass to photograph all the critters that came in to feast. And come they did, as I got over 1000 pictures in about 5 days. Here are a few that I found while sorting through them all.

Mr Black Bear (with beautiful cinnamon/chocolate coat)

90% of pics are of crows, magpies, and eagles

One of many curious yotes. Strangely not many fed on the elk, they just hung out nearby.

2 Golden eagles fighting

Swift fox? Marten?? I can't ID this critter!

And of course the KING OF THE FOREST showed up!!

I got over 100 pictures of this (my estimate) 800 lb grizzly eating, tearing dragging and generally schralfing the carcass until it was only a backbone left. This bear also ultimately swiped or bit my trail cam off the tree it was strapped to, as I found it broken off on the ground 12 ft away. The last photo was of blurry very close up fur! I also slept in a hammock no further than 200 yds from this spot!!

Wow! That's great.

That one bear has a hump on his back. Better be careful checking the camera.

The Browning did a good job with photos. Have you tried video with it?

The "King" looked right into the camera twice,, then promptly ate it because it smelled like the little hairless monkey in the hammock lol.
Cool pictures shedhunter!

That's awesome... Just knowing you have grizzlys in the area has got to keep you alert and on your toes... Maybe those coyotes smelt the bear's scent and it kept them at a distance.. I don't know... I would have thought they would have been all over that carcass... Never know what a coyotes thinkin... Wish I did;)

Wonderful pictures! I hope you realize that you are very blessed to live in an area that offers that variety of wildlife to not only hunt, but to observe and admire.

Thanks for posting those!

Thanks gentlemen I'm glad you liked the trail cam pics. I will probably be posting a lot more this winter when I get the cams out over some wolf kills.

6mm06- The video is fairly decent but this camera seems to excel taking stills in the dusk/dawn twilight hours. It takes ultra high quality B&W pics, and very good close up daytime color pics, but they get grainy quick with distance. The color video is about the quality of a (non iphone) cell phone video, sort of grainy as well. The shutter speed is quite fast too, and the battery life has amazed me so far I'm still on the original set! Also very few false triggers (photos of nothing).

Hidalgo- I thank my lucky stars every time I watch the news!

Infidel- I respect the Griz oh so much when I am in his home. You have no idea! Everything we do in this deep dark timber has the deliberate undertone of reducing the chance of encountering one. Bear spray is your friend and I don't leave the truck without it, or the Hi-Power .40 cal as my backup plan!

That grizzly looks intimidating to say the least lol. Do you guys carry side arms out there while elk hunting? Also what caliber rifle do you guys hunt with for elk,also assuming you might possibly meet that big grizzly while your out there?

Remingtonman- Most bowhunters I know carry the spray and a sidearm to boot. I will always reach for the spray first, I consider it more effective at stopping a charge. I have been treed once and sprayed a sow from the tree and another time had to spray small griz that came at me head down and they both high tailed it out of there pinballing off trees and boulders as they blindly raced to get the heck out of Dodge the fastest way they could. Others I know have not been so lucky (google taylor fork bear attacks).

I feel pretty safe with any rifle capable of being used to kill elk. But I still carry the spray.

Back