Massachusetts predator hunters

Originally Posted By: magurohunterGoing well. Working in Franklin these days. Did a hunt in Plainville last night...lots of quality sign, no dogs heard or called. Will hit Burrville RI on Friday. Sat and Sunday will be Westport, Tiverton and Little Compton. Shot a very large male on Friday last. Did not weigh it, biggest of season, north of 45 lbs. Two big girls last week with a four dog weekend. Moving more dogs with my Dan Thompson PC2 than the call. Warm weather has made it a different kind of program this year. All good though.

How have you been doing? Not much snow up your way.....

I have taken your advice on with the lanyard working perfect and the glow in the dark paint is easy to see on Gen 3. #97 female wimpers and #99 adult distress bringing in older animals regularly. Still have em charging in #81 Female

invitation

Ma
Looks like we are hitting the same areas. I travel around as well. Wrentham to Westport and every town in between. Good to see local guys getting it done. We have been on fire last few weeks. January is always slow for us calling. The warm weather didn't help. We just night hunt all season. Darker the better lol

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiOriginally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterWhat are you night hunters using for boomsticks?? Being able to only use .22lr, shotguns and muzzeloaders I'm curious

12GA at night, Versa-Max with a red-dot.

Forget the muzzleloader, theirs now language on the books specifically stating not leagl when their's 22LR restrictions in place (night hunting). It's deep and hidden within the laws.

Some use 22LR and i've considered it, you can hit them out further but it has the same "effective" kill range as the 12GA with way less projectiles. I know people that have used 22LR and they seldom find them.

Best not to overthink it you'll wear yourself down, bottom line the laws suck. Stick with the 12GA and good loads.

This state can't make anything black and white can they. Thanks for the info on the muzzleloader. Do you use NV or thermal with the red dot or just use the moon? And are you hunting over bait or calling??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tommy2GunWhen contemplating MA Law(s) start with this Proviso: Everything is Illegal in Massachusetts.

Works for me...

T2G
LOL. That's a good way to look at it

Seasons been over for a couple days now, what's your final body counts? Killed while calling, killed while over bait, or chance encounters?? Night time or day? Coyotes, fox and cats

Last edited:
Well with the limited time I had I called and killed 5 coyotes, 4 within 1/4 mile of my house. Biggest was a 44 pound male, smallest a 28 pound female. Also called in a 47 pound male for my friend. Called in a very small cat and gave it a pass. I know out west that would just be one average morning, but its tough in the timber. I also know I called in some I never saw, because I could hear them walking just out of sight. Best part was no misses, and no hit and lost.

That's actually a better way to look at your season. "No misses, and no hits and loses "
Zero for the board. I had one miss, two misfires and one wounded with the shotgun
mad.gif

Last edited:
At 20 even since Jan 1. 14 calling. 6 over bait. Andy missed four with me calling. Borris missed three, all with night vision. Very tough learning curve. Bobby did not bring his shotgun to RI and had one staring him down at 10 yards. not safe for me to shoot. I had all but one of the missed dogs handy and either did not or could not get the shot. Great season and RI still open.

Hey mass hunter....last dog 44 lbs on the scale...must be a twin to yours! I'll try and get a pic...kids filled my computer up with water and its at the shop....

Got me there ! As I remember there some real nice farms and country around the Tiverton and Little Compton area, as well as over the line around Westport.

Originally Posted By: masshunterSeperated at birth? Mine was shot in Holyoke, how about yours ?

Mount tom area?
I live in south hadley.
I've called a bit off of southhampton rd

Back