Massachusetts predator hunters

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterMade a few stands today, had to deal with quite a bit of fog. Could only see 100 yards at most and sometimes only 30 yards. Only action was a golden retriever that went after my call and it's owner standing dumbfounded when I stood up. Typical WMA problem.

Nothing worse than dogwalkers on property funded by hunting license fees. I've had my run-in's on wma's but can't say I've had a domestic dog run to the call, nice job.

Dont get discouraged because I kill 99% of all my predators on WMA land. Just have to stay away from the dogwalkers as hard as that can be at times.

I've called in a few dogs, the funniest was a Doberman with a human sweatshirt. The best was when two black labs came around the trail just before I started to call. I waited a couple mins. and a woman came up , and asked me what I was hunting for, and I said "coyotes, but I can go go somewhere else" her reply was "no I'll go somewhere else, kill them all ". She called the dogs, turned with a wave and said good luck.

Anyone here familiar with ATN X-Sight 2?? Looking to dip my toes into night hunting with night vision but don't want to/refuse to drop a mortgage payment on a scope! These don't seem to bad. Plus $600 is doable

Last edited:
Hey bay state vote..how is the season going? I am doing Ok.. at 14 so far and will have a good crack at over next weekend with the mrs. out of town.

My mojo saves the day a lot. But mostly day calling for me down here. Longest shot ever this year at 305 yards. Drop a line sometime.

west.ma Hunter, let us know if you "pull the trigger" on the ATN X.

J

Going well. Working in Franklin these days. Did a hunt in Plainville last night...lots of quality sign, no dogs heard or called. Will hit Burrville RI on Friday. Sat and Sunday will be Westport, Tiverton and Little Compton. Shot a very large male on Friday last. Did not weigh it, biggest of season, north of 45 lbs. Two big girls last week with a four dog weekend. Moving more dogs with my Dan Thompson PC2 than the call. Warm weather has made it a different kind of program this year. All good though.

How have you been doing? Not much snow up your way.....

I have taken your advice on with the lanyard working perfect and the glow in the dark paint is easy to see on Gen 3. #97 female wimpers and #99 adult distress bringing in older animals regularly. Still have em charging in #81 Female invitation

LOL! I hear you, I call and kill all my coyotes with six favorite Wildlife Tech sounds..which is good cus I am getting old and forgetful!!

Last edited:
I love my R15 even after the issue I had a few weeks ago. I still won't deny it for walks to coyote stands. How do you like your 935?? Dicks has one for a decent price right now and I'm debating on picking it up, but while researching it is came across the 935 with pistol grips and really liked it, and while researching that one I came across a stoeger m3500 with pistol grips that is a couple hundred dollars less. Now I'm stuck. Save $ on a stoeger which I know nothing about but have read good things about or spend more on the 935 which I've played with before. I have an 11-87 sportsman now but it doesnt take 3.5" shells and i really want a semi and something I can shoot 3.5" out of.

Last edited:
Mass, don't do anything maybe I will sell you mine, with a pile of extras like chokes and stuff. My shoulders and hands are getting worse every year and I think I will not be able to shoot a shotgun next year...

3 inch mag works just fine for me with managable recoil. Rem 870 rusty dented scratched old girl with new barrel. Turkey tube and #4 buck gets it done. Bushmaster predator 20 inch. 2 stage trigger, nikon m223 nikoplex, vortex micro redot for close up work, really nice addition. I would stay with the moss berg. Cant beat that gun....

Sorry to hear your hands are getting worse BY. Keep at it!!!

I have nothing against the 3", I just figure if I can have a bit more thump then why not. Buck shot is only legal for 2 weeks in Mass so that's out. I wish that wasn't the case because it's WAY cheaper the 3" & 3.5" Dead coyote "T" What caliber is your bushmaster??

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterAnyone here familiar with ATN X-Sight 2?? Looking to dip my toes into night hunting with night vision but don't want to/refuse to drop a mortgage payment on a scope! These don't seem to bad. Plus $600 is doable

I've got a first gen X-Sight 3x-12. Paid less than $500 for it. Works well, but it does have some quirks to become familiar with in order to get the most out of it. I'd buy another.

.223 on the Bushmaster.

had unreal weekend and the cold had them moving. Two dogs down on Sat and had four in the kill zone on Sunday. Only came away with one. My pal missed his 19th, 20th and 21 st coyotes hunting with me...all in a row. too funny Simply awesome with the crazy cold they were so hungry. Skunk distress, blue Jay, crows and coyote vocals got em going. Two were within 10 yards and one was out at 120. mmmmmmissed them all.

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterWhat are you night hunters using for boomsticks?? Being able to only use .22lr, shotguns and muzzeloaders I'm curious

12GA at night, Versa-Max with a red-dot.

Forget the muzzleloader, theirs now language on the books specifically stating not leagl when their's 22LR restrictions in place (night hunting). It's deep and hidden within the laws.

Some use 22LR and i've considered it, you can hit them out further but it has the same "effective" kill range as the 12GA with way less projectiles. I know people that have used 22LR and they seldom find them.

Best not to overthink it you'll wear yourself down, bottom line the laws suck. Stick with the 12GA and good loads.

Back