Best 22-250 out of the box

The TC predator Venture has an adjustable trigger and is a really nice shooter right out of the box.

I hand load and was able to easily work up a load with 50gr vmax that was a sub .5MoA shooter all day.

Really nice rifle, loved the 5 groove 45 Degree rifling, and it's light, and really handled the coyote hunting well.

Another vote for the TC.

I have a TC Icon in 243 that is threatening to be the most consistently accurate rife I own, right up there with my Sako Vixen in 222RemMag.

At the range last week, I had 7 different loads with me, 3 loads using the 85gr Sierra hpbt Game King with Varget and RE19, 80gr Barnes TTSX with IMR4350 and Nosler 70gr B-tip with CFE223.

The 3 shot groups with Sierra's were .320, .721 and .963;

The Barnes was .610;

The Nosler was 1.68, .878 and .780.

Sorry, no one hole groups to report.

Sako A7 coyote has very nice ergonomics. I know this because I have been to the LGS about 1,000 times to see it. I just have a couple more loose ends on my custom 6.5 and then that puppy is going on layaway!!

I would agree that a Venture is a good shooting rifle, but the Tikka's smooth bolt definitely has the upper hand on the Thompson. For a calling gun, I would much rather have a faster and smoother bolt for follow up shots. I'm not knocking TC, just wanted to throw that out there. I feel as though my Tikka is the fastest bolt gun I have ever shot. I have shot a TC Venture also, I guess it depends also on an extra $150-200 for a Tikka. I think either one is a solid choice, good luck.

Originally Posted By: varminter .22312 fv's at cabelas on sale for 319.99 now
Varget and 60 bt's = one hole groups
Kinda heavy though with the 26" barrel.
Of the guns posted on this thread so far, the fv would be my choice.the money you save ,buy a good scope. For the record,kingzero, I would put my savage model 12 BVSS 22-250 up against your tikka any day . Just say`n .

Last edited:
The one RePete just posted a link to would be a great choice. I bought a Finnlight a year or so ago and its gonna be hard to shoot anything else but Sako ever again. Its the closet thing to a custom rifle that Ive ever seen, and nicer than most Ive seen. If you are wanting a hunting rifle the Sako rifles are very hard to beat. Yes they are worth the extra money.

Originally Posted By: btech29The one RePete just posted a link to would be a great choice. I bought a Finnlight a year or so ago and its gonna be hard to shoot anything else but Sako ever again. Its the closet thing to a custom rifle that Ive ever seen, and nicer than most Ive seen. If you are wanting a hunting rifle the Sako rifles are very hard to beat. Yes they are worth the extra money.

Agreed......Sako's never been a bad choice.

ugly tikka and
url]
[/img]
url]
[/img]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UtahcallerMost accurate out of box rifle I have had is a 22-250 Remington 700 ADL half inch groups with just about any bullet I shot through it.

Remember the old 788's. Them were shooting suckers! I would still use one but its like carrying a boat anchor around.

I have a Savage Axis 2. I don't know that they're the best but at 100 yards I shot a 3 shot group and two practically went through the same hole using Remington 55 grain softpoints.

Update: Went to the gun shop today and ordered a Tikka T3x Varmint (heavy barrel), so I should get it next week.

Already have a trip scheduled to go out to West Texas so I can put the new rifle to good use on foxes and coyotes.

Thanks for the opinions.

Originally Posted By: SymmRanchUpdate: Went to the gun shop today and ordered a Tikka T3x Varmint (heavy barrel), so I should get it next week.

Already have a trip scheduled to go out to West Texas so I can put the new rifle to good use on foxes and coyotes.

Thanks for the opinions.

Congrats. That is the same rifle I am considering but I need to get my hands on one to see how the weight feels.

I would go Tikka for sure, but if you're going to be carrying it any distance, go "lite" and not varmint bbl. I had a Tikka Varmint in 22-250 was a tack driver, but finally sold it. I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 223, much easier to carry, and just as accurate as the varmint.

Back