Converting .223 cases to 300 BLK

dpollard

Have any of you used a normal sized chop saw to cut off 223 brass when converting to 300 blk? I know many people buy the harbor freight saw but I already own a chop saw and wondered what type of blade would cut brass easily?

I want to make this jig but using a normal sized chop saw

I used the harbor freight one and just "eyed". Sure I lost one or two every now and then (oh well)! I don't really know much about blades but the one that came with the HF saw can't be that great and it cut with ease.

I just take the decapping stem out of my 300 bo die. Run my lubed 223 brass through the die body. Then use my wft trimmer to cut it down. Then after I get a couple hundred I go back through and decap them all and chamfer.

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishI just take the decapping stem out of my 300 bo die. Run my lubed 223 brass through the die body. Then use my wft trimmer to cut it down. Then after I get a couple hundred I go back through and decap them all and chamfer.

Interesting. So you cut out an entire step by not cutting it down. Do you find you trim a lot of brass off or is it pretty quick to get it down to length? I have a forster manual trimmer...

Been there done that. My lesson with making your own 300 brass is disabled and money and buy factory headstamped. He will run into numerous problems with neck thickness among different manufacturers. He will most likely experience many FTFs as the thick case neck prevent the round from being completely chambered. Even with a case gauge, I still ran into tremendous amount of problems. He might find yourself spinning down necks in the future.

I've converted about 3K with no issues in the AR. I used a $10 pneumatic harbor freight cut off wheel. I just eyeballed it, then sized/deprimed them and finally trimed to exact length. Maybe not competition but plenty accurate for my SBR and hogs inside 100yds. And since I have a good supply of .223 brass it only costs time.

I ended up bagging the chop saw idea altogether. Didn't want to spend $35 for the Harbor Freight saw so I modified the one I posted. Instead of cutting off the brass with a table saw I just used a cutoff wheel and a dremel. This process seems to work well for me.

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishI just take the decapping stem out of my 300 bo die. Run my lubed 223 brass through the die body. Then use my wft trimmer to cut it down. Then after I get a couple hundred I go back through and decap them all and chamfer.

Thats how i do them also! Fast and easy....

Back