Vortex viper 6.5-20x44

colson

I am looking at buying a viper 6.5-20*44 to put on my 6.5*284. This gun is used for mainly target shooting and prairie dogs with the occasional deer hunt. I would like some input on these scopes or if I should look at a different brand. The reticle that I am looking at is the mil dot.

Thanks, Chris

I had three

First one had parallax issues after the first range session, wouldn't focus in...back to Vortex

Second on (replacement for the 1st) had tracking issues.

Third (another Vortex replacement) had a canted reticle, and 'globs' in the reticle. Sent it it, and sold the replacement.

I don't think Vortex quality starts until the PST line of scopes. Their spotters and binos are a different story...they do well from bottom to top.

What kind of target shooting are you looking to do? Do you want to crank knobs and such? Also, if you get a graduated recital (as in your mil-dot) it needs to be a first focal plane scope. Otherwise the sub tensions are only accurate at one power setting.

Thank you for the advice. I like to shoot small groups. Also I am wanting to start shooting some long range targets around 1000

Getting to 1000, consistently, will take a good bit more than a $500 scope...tracking is the most important aspect of the game at that range. Of course, you need to start somewhere...1000 yards is a LONG ways out.

For the same $$ of the Viper, I'd opt for the Leopold Mark-AR Mod 1, 6-18X40. Get a new dial, cut to just plain Mils and get some trigger time in.

This is a decent scope for the money. I have one on a 3006ai on a 30 moa base that I shoot out to 1500 yards with no issues it has always been repeatable and always returns to zero. Yes there are better choices but this will do the job on a budget. More money doesn't always get you a better scope. I also have a 2 6-24 psts one is a great scope the other I have had nothing but problems with (on its way back to vortex for the second time right now). If the viper pa is what is with in your budget I wouldn't hesitate to buy it it will do the job. Not a fan of leupold scopes for dialing the turret clicks are very mushy.

Ive got this scope on my 20" 223 AR. It is tracking well and repeatable so far. Hoping it holds together to try 600 yard FClass match again.

Ended up putting a 20moa base on it to try and stay in the middle of the elevation adjustments. Made it to 600 yards yesterday, and by the data i dont think its goin to have enough elevation to make it to 1000 yards, but im goin to try. i need 26moa more from my 600 yard zero.

I got it off midway for $415 i think it was. But if i had to do it again, id saved up more and went for the PST line. I have the 6-24x50 PST FFP on my 300WM and its a huge difference.

Last edited:
I have one on a 308 Savage with 20 min bases and have shot out to 1000 yds with no problems . I have had no issues with this scope, for the money I feel like it is a good buy.

Back