Massachusetts predator hunters

LOL Duck Stopper, you nailed it!!!

Larue, I hear you!! I work seven days a week all year and the one thing I love, coyote hunting, they will eventually take away from us..
Now imagine if Healy was a Republican and she made a similar interpretation on gay marriage, can you imagine the outcry!??

Originally Posted By: masshunterGot a female sat 7:30 AM First stand of the first day, I'm pumped. Hope to get out again tues & weds.

Nice, was hoping for the same but didn't see anything all day Saturday. Was disappointed to see not much sign in some good spots. Need bird season to end, all the WMA's with fields are bird areas = no rifles.

Originally Posted By: masshunterI was in the woods with a shotgun, but could hear all the shooting just down the road at the WMA. Man, the ticks are terrible !

We did the same, and heard alot of shooting aswell. Didn't see anything but a bear.

Nice one ! Heading out tomorrow with my bud to give it a go. Got busted sat morning by a shifting wind. Seeing all the deer I couldn't find in Dec.

Originally Posted By: masshunterNice one ! Heading out tomorrow with my bud to give it a go. Got busted sat morning by a shifting wind. Seeing all the deer I couldn't find in Dec.

Your not kidding, I saw some serious corker tracks and a group of 9+ does Saturday afternoon. They're all yarded up.

Tagged that one at sunset in like a 45 second stand. Got back to the truck before it was even dark.

Came running in after my opening sequence, which is about 15 seconds then I pause it, had to bark at it to get it to stop at around 70 yards and tipped it over with a 60GR nosler to the high chest/low neck head on, folded like a pretzel. Right after the shot a second one jetted out from behind it, across some ice and into a thick mountain lorel patch. Got a second look at it moving during pup distress but it eventually circled behind me an out of dodge.

Spent most of the day targeting bobcat, figured I go for yotes my last stand.

My friend and I headed into the Berkshires this morning, the wind was terrible, but we kept driving around to get between some hills and into shelter and on our third stand he scored on a 47 pound male. I was using "screaming coyote pup" near max on my Hellfire to carry over the gusts. Most of the tracks were blown over with snow so couldn't tell how fresh. Looks like the next weeks weather won't be too good.

Originally Posted By: masshunterMy friend and I headed into the Berkshires this morning, the wind was terrible, but we kept driving around to get between some hills and into shelter and on our third stand he scored on a 47 pound male. I was using "screaming coyote pup" near max on my Hellfire to carry over the gusts. Most of the tracks were blown over with snow so couldn't tell how fresh. Looks like the next weeks weather won't be too good.

Nice
thumbup1.gif
, have got to love pup distress.

I've mainly been in the berkshires aswell

Goes to show you that when most people tell you to stay home when its windy, don't listen to them up here.
Windier the better, save the places that you really cant get into with out getting busted for windy nights.
The wind messes up the coyotes hearing, if you move in against a brush back ground that is moving, it defeats his eyes, and the wind takes your sent and dissipates it big time, confusing the coyote long enough for a shot. they have to eat, bread and enforce their territory, no matter what the weather. Great job and way to go!! That's a nice score for your efforts..

Thanks guys, I try to make the best of every day, use terrain to manage the wind, and take some long walks to get to the setup. I have some pics on my I phone, and my camera, but get too frustrated with photo bucket when I try to post them, no patience.

Hey guys I'm Josh and new to the forum and just read this 23 page thread. Seems like a good group of hunters. I hunt everywhere between Pelham and Granville, and between CT and VT , I am looking for a partner (I know nobody knows me and I'm not looking to steal areas), I've been solo predator hunting 8years or so and have only had partners on maybe 12 stands. I'd like to chat with anyone on hear or over a beer or coffee and maybe get a partner for next season. I've called in a good number of coyotes and a couple fox, but only killed one coyote, hate to admit it but wounded 2 others, and I called in a bear that my buddy shot at 20 feet. Hope to hear from someone that's interested

I was too tired Monday from snow removal to go out, and howling from my driveway didn't get answers from the usual suspects, and anyway , today was a chick holiday. Found a nice set of cat tracks this morning walking the dog, but really only interested in coyotes. I'll try in the morning before the rain starts, snowshoes are ready. The weekend sounds like good weather, but I'll be working at the camping show to make some hunting $$. Hopefully the snow will be down a bit next week.

Made a few stands today, had to deal with quite a bit of fog. Could only see 100 yards at most and sometimes only 30 yards. Only action was a golden retriever that went after my call and it's owner standing dumbfounded when I stood up. Typical WMA problem.

Back