Range finder?

I can tell you for sure, the Sig will be better than the others you mentioned.

Anyone that gave the Redfield before a good review was fooling around...they're lucky to range deer at 200.

Nikons are pretty ok in their higher priced stuff, but the low end are not too great. I've had a couple and they've been sent packing.

I just picked up a Vortex Ranger 1000 a few months ago. I've been extremely happy with it. Vortex says it will range animals out to 600 yds but I've read reviews about it getting out past 1000 yds. I claimed it for $299. Plus it's still covered by the Vortex VIP warranty.

Het one that ranges twice the distance that you want to shoot as a minimum. Better to have it and not need than to need it and not have it.

I have a Leopold range finder RXII and it was nice at first but the real range to the target Adjacent side of the angle doesn't work right now. The hypotenuse reads the same and the side adjacent or the bottom leg (true shooting distance on an uphill or downhill shot) to the angle. The side adjacent or TBR true Ballistic Range should be shorter if you are shooing uphill or downhill at an angle. The angle is still shown but the calculations and the readout are not working for the TBR views. It's only a matter of a few feet at the short ranges I'm using the thing for. But for a longer range shot the TBR calculation is not working. I'd ship it back to Leopold if they would fix it. But the view at dusk and dawn is limited as the reticle on my unit is not lit up. I want a new Range Finder that has a lighted reticle that I can see in the dark.

I played with the new Leupold Range Finder 1200i at Gander Mountain and it had a reticle that was lit up. But someone keeps taking the battery out and stealing the battery cap on the display model. The SOB's
smile.gif
. And Gander Mountain in my town didn't take the time to replace the display model with one that works. They are lazy or don't want to sell these very much.
I won't buy anymore Leupold Range Finders as when I called Leupold Customer Service to ask about this they were of no help and left me hanging. Their loss not mine.

I want a range finder for other than just shooting long ranges. I want to find out how far thing are from me and project a waypoint to their location using my Garmin Montana 650T GPS unit. When I'm out on the lake and see another boat catching fish I can measure just how far away they are and at what angle they are to my boat. Then I can use that information and my GPS location to figure out the other boat's location within a few feet. Later when they leave I can go over to that GPS waypoint spot and search using my side scanning sonar unit and figure out why they were fishing that spot. I've not been able to do that since my range finder is not working at more than 400 ft away. Most boats I see are more than 500 ft away and I don't like getting too close to other boaters that are out on the lake and actively fishing. Note: the lake I fish is only 90 acres in size and anyone out on the lake is easily seen from the shorelines. There are few underwater structures such as underwater humps, islands or drop off that are not on my Lakemaster Digital map. But there are some brush piles that have been put in by various other fishermen and that is what I'm looking for. And there are some small natural trees or shrubs that were flooded when the pit was formed and those can hold a lot of fish. One little stick up in the middle of a barren lake bottom can be a gold mine. Finding that lone stickup with a 2D sonar unit is like finding a needle in the hay stack.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lyotehunterI have ranged and shot to 2000 yds. with a sig it out preforms all the ones mentioned above
-----------------------------------------------------
Your statement is impressive but it means nothing to me unless you say what you were ranging at 2000 yards (Deer or a metal reflective sign of some kind) and what model "SIG" you were using. Are you talking about the Sig Kilo 2000 unit perhaps?

It's all about the details man. If I can't replicate what you did then it's not worth It to me knowing that you did something like shooting something out to 2000 yard.

If I'm not able to figure out the details unless you post them in here. So are you really helping me/US? Maybe or maybe not. What the heck is a "SIG". I have not heard of those brand of range finders. Are they new? Is that some sort of shorthand for another brand name of Range Finders or are you talking about a Sig gun? If so I though that this thread was about range finders.

Oh OK Now I see what you are talking about. I'm assuming that you are replying to the post right above yours even though you didn't quote that post in your reply. The post above yours was talking about the Sig Kilo 2000 range finder.

Still I/we need to know what you ranged at 2000 yards. They specs for the Sig Kilo2000 says it will only range on a deer out to about 1200 yards. But it will range on a reflective sign out to 3500 yards. Now 3500 yards is quite impressive. And 1200 yards on a deer is pretty impressive too. The type of object that the laser reflects off often determine the practical range of the range finder. Some won't work that far due to other problems such as fog or rain or air pollution disrupting the laser beams.

Last edited:
I was stuck between the vortex 1500, and sig kilo 2000 and both the same price i bit on the sig for $350 the only downside is the warranty if i ever need it. Now waiting on the brown truck.

I've had a Nikon 550 for years,it has always been a decent range finder for me. But,I bought a Sig Kilo 2000 a couple months ago,and it is hands down the best range finder on the market for the money.

I ranged a water tower where I live 3 different times. Each time it ranged 2775 yards. I've ranged cows at 1400+ yards,deer & hogs at 600+ yards.
The Sig Kilo just flat works! I gave my Nikon to a friend.

shot a small rock at 2006yds but it ranged some other things in the same area.it is the Kilo 2000,i have ranged elk at that distance also.

Got the sig 850 kilo for xmas.

I took it out in the field hog hunting and used it on a few stands in the afternoon too. Did not see anything though. I am happy with it. I had no problem ranging things out to 400 + yards. Being able to know where 100, 200, and 300 yards is was really nice. In wide open country it is really hard to guesstimate. The image is a little dark, like looking through a cheap scope. This is my only complaint so far. I like how small and light weight it is.

Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_Originally Posted By: lyotehunterI have ranged and shot to 2000 yds. with a sig it out preforms all the ones mentioned above
-----------------------------------------------------
Your statement is impressive but it means nothing to me unless you say what you were ranging at 2000 yards (Deer or a metal reflective sign of some kind) and what model "SIG" you were using. Are you talking about the Sig Kilo 2000 unit perhaps?

It's all about the details man. If I can't replicate what you did then it's not worth It to me knowing that you did something like shooting something out to 2000 yard.

If I'm not able to figure out the details unless you post them in here. So are you really helping me/US? Maybe or maybe not. What the heck is a "SIG". I have not heard of those brand of range finders. Are they new? Is that some sort of shorthand for another brand name of Range Finders or are you talking about a Sig gun? If so I though that this thread was about range finders.

Oh OK Now I see what you are talking about. I'm assuming that you are replying to the post right above yours even though you didn't quote that post in your reply. The post above yours was talking about the Sig Kilo 2000 range finder.

Still I/we need to know what you ranged at 2000 yards. They specs for the Sig Kilo2000 says it will only range on a deer out to about 1200 yards. But it will range on a reflective sign out to 3500 yards. Now 3500 yards is quite impressive. And 1200 yards on a deer is pretty impressive too. The type of object that the laser reflects off often determine the practical range of the range finder. Some won't work that far due to other problems such as fog or rain or air pollution disrupting the laser beams. it was a rock about 18" square. and I ranged some at 1800yds.

Last edited:
Back