Deer hunting .308 bullet, accuracy and load data for AR-10?

Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkin If the gun is too heavy for you, hunting on foot isn't your thing to begin with.

thats hardly a fair statement.

for some folks, that 3 lbs may be the difference between being able to do an extended hunt on foot or not. which is fine, i'm not judging.

but if you're in a circumstance where that might be the difference between having a good hunting experience and a bad one - thats surely not a reason to say someone shouldn't be doing it because they have to restrict the gear necessary to make it an enjoyable hunt.

then again thats the beauty of today's selection of equipment available to the modern hunter. we can all find a firearm and other gear that fits our individual needs and makes things possible where they might otherwise not be - for whatever reason. you dont necessarily have to have paul bunyon strength when there are lightweight (or lighter weight anyway) versions of almost every firearm platform known to man out there.

i hunt with both a LR 308 and a 24" 204 AR that are both over 10 lbs. but if i knew i was going out for a lot of walking, neither of those guns would be on my choice list, especially stacking another 22 oz of suppressor on the front of them.

i just much prefer to walk around with something in the 8½-9 lb range. (which for comparison is about what a rem 870 fully loaded comes in at)

thankfully i have guns that fit that niche so it doesnt become an issue.

but there's still no need to be a negative nellie and tell someone they shouldn't be doing something just because they dont have all the ability, strength and stamina that you might when there are other options available to allow them to participate and succeed with just a minor change in equipment.

even if it is only 3 or 5 lbs worth.

Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkinIf the gun is too heavy for you, hunting on foot isn't your thing to begin with.

Yep, throughout hunting history and to date the most highly regarding still hunting, stalking and mountain rifles all weigh 10 pounds.

Wait... what?

Ha! Sorry, wasn't trying to be negative. My opinion got lost in context and typing/wording.

I guess I'm not one to complain when it comes to working harder physically, so I just use whatever I like to shoot and if it is a bit heavier than I guess I just do what it takes to lug it around.

I didn't mean that someone shouldn't go hunting if they didn't like heavy guns, I was more or less saying that if you complain about gun weight, then using a smaller gun (say 3 lb lighter) wouldn't really be your saving grace necessarily.

Thank Longrange454. I just used IMR-4064 for the first time with .308 last night. I'll see how it pushes 165's.

I'll probably work up a load with IMR-4064 and 150's too.

Back