Range finder?

TripleDeuce660

Thinking my next toy should be a range finder. It will really compliment my kestrel.

I only need something that is reliable to about 400 yards, as the farthest I really am going to shoot is 300.

Not looking to break the bank. What is a good bang for the buck range finder?

Exceeds your requirements but the Sig Kilo 2000 is a hot ticket right now. I have a Leica and the Sig and the Sig doesn't take a back seat and for less money.

Can be had for around $400 if you shop around...

The Sig Kilo is the easy answer. I have and use a Bushnell Elite 1mile, and it works great...but had the Kilo been out when I bought it, thats what I would have.

Another option, for your pretty limited needs, is the new Sig Kilo 850. I have zero experience with it, but I cant see it being terrible if its anything likes its brother.

I have the SIG kilo 2000. I like it so far what little I've played with it. As has been said, they can be had for around $400-425 new. Lots of dealers with this pricing on archerytalk.com
Lots of other range finders for sale there as well. There is a uses vortex 1000 for around $265 over there right now I think. I'm not associated in any way.

You could easily pick up a used Leupold RX-1000i TBR for around $200. But somehow I don't think you want used.

The Sig is the hot item recently, and I'd get one myself if I didn't already have a great working Leupold. No complaints out past 600 yards easy. 800+ you gotta hold steady and need a decent target.

I have the Leupold shown above, bought it new a few years ago and it's worked flawless in all modes. If I had a need for a new one I'd buy a Leica or Sig Kilo.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660Thinking my next toy should be a range finder. It will really compliment my kestrel.
I only need something that is reliable to about 400 yards, as the farthest I really am going to shoot is 300.
I'd spring for the Sig. A lot of rangefinders are only good for half of the rating under less than ideal conditions, so don't fall into the "I only need to go to 400 yards" idea.

Kinda like only building a 1 car garage cause you only have 1 vehicle.....

I've got the Leica 1600b. Love it. You can range things way out there and it's got drops for your rifle so all you have to do is hit the range button and it tells you how far it is and how much to raise your scope up in clicks. You can usually find used ones for around $600.00. A little pricey but well worth it in my opinion.

I bought a reconditioned Bushnell from Natchez about 10 yrs ago, like you I don't need long range. When I get to a stand I will range some of the landmarks and put the thing away. It has been rock solid for me.

I have two Bushnells, a Leica 1200, and a Leica 1600, my bro-in-law has a Leup, and one of my hunting buddies has a Nikon. I just picked up a Sig.

Handling and using all of these, the only ones I'd buy again are Leica and Sig. They all work, and they all run well, but the Leica and Sig get my vote.

I should probably also say my budget is around 300. I will look at the sig.

I primarily plan to use it when I sit down on a stand to range a few objects before I start calling. Also want to start big game hunting. I have got some hogs but want to get a speed goat and a deer when I move to Boise next year.

Will a rangefinder work on smaller critters like cotton/jackrabbits?

Last edited:
Probably not really, but you'll be able to read their range by hitting the ground near/under them. Most folks wouldn't even notice it's not hitting the bunny, and is reading the ground.

Search around a bit....... There are Leica's out there for your price range or 50.00 more! Once you use a Leica you will be glad you got it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660..only need something that is reliable to about 400 yards..
I've had a Nikon ProStaff Laser440 for more than a couple years, that covers the range you want.
It doubles as a decent 8X monocle.
It has always given ranges from a stand, for what I needed, and can go beyond 400 with a good target.
Think it is discontinued now, but I would look for Nikon ProStaff again if I was in the market.

I have very seldom had shots where I "Needed" to know the range in excess of 300 yards,,,,That being said, I've almost always had a Leica 1200 on hand...The old saying "It's better to have it an not need it, than to need it an not have it" is usually my guiding principle...

Long range shooting (in excess of 300 yards) requires a combination of skills that I haven't come close to mastering and I salute those that have...But, I would suggest buying the best quality you can afford in any shooting tool...The Sig 2000 has received a bunch of good comments since hitting the market and Leica has been one of the standards for many years...

Well I been reading a little more. Right now I am looking at the sig 850 the lower priced nikons, and the redfield 650a. There are no reviews of the redfield yet as its new, but the older 600 model seems to have good reviews.

Only hesitation on the sig is that it is only 4x. I feel like maybe I could just leave the binos at the truck if I had 6x or more.

Should I mention that I wear glasses? I find I can use my binos with glasses on as they have a long eye relief, but I prefer to take them off.

Last edited:
Back