KUDOS TO TACTICAL NIGHT VISION COMPANY

No updates on any of the FLIR GS Military gear, apparently they do not want to offer updates and have thousands of units sent back and forth for the updates from military units and Federal Law Enforcement units.

Folks, be sure to use your thermal scanners during the day as well as at night.

Was out cruising around in the UTV with the FLIR M-324XP thermal scanner on and spied this boar hog snoozing in a pile of mud ooze in the middle of a wet prairie with the FLIR thermal, never would have seen him unless I was using the thermal during the day.

Hog woke up when I stopped and ran right by me and took a bullet to the ear at 20 feet out in the middle of the day from my Knights Armament KAC-15 silenced SBR!

Day use of my thermal scanner made the kill possible.....

Hog%20Wallow.jpg

Hog2B.jpg

Hog2.jpg

Haha, it works for me, never would have seen him without it.

He was so close, I could not use the ACOG 4X scope and had to use the Truijicon MRDS red dot sight on top of the ACOG to put a pill in his ear at 20 feet and closing.....
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: SkyPupNo updates on any of the FLIR GS Military gear, apparently they do not want to offer updates and have thousands of units sent back and forth for the updates from military units and Federal Law Enforcement units.

That's disappointing. And while it may simply be disappointing to me, I have to give FLIR credit. They have some really smart folks, producing great products. But what they REALLY excel in is making money.

That "no update policy/protocol" for GS Military gear will generate hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue for them. Smart. Very Smart.

Regards,

G.
Actuary

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago, my neighbor called me from his cell as he was driving by my property and said there was a wild hog out in my horse pasture?
mad.gif

I ran out with my HK and put the ACOG on him, but before I pulled the trigger I noticed he was wagging his tail.

I'm like [beeep] is this....
scared.gif

Find out it was a wayward potbelly pig and we have adopted him as the farm mascot.

He hangs out in the pasture with the horses all day and comes into the stalls for breakfast and dinner.

When you rub his belly he flops over and goes into a trance as if he is hypnotized, pretty much a free spirit addition to the farm.

Arnold.jpg

Originally Posted By: crowkiller51Skypup what happened to your Flaming Squirrel?

I like that flaming squirrel, but also like StarWars thermal too.

BTW, FLIR's new 12um long IR wavelength Boson VOx core was just announced and the spec's are superb!
smile.gif

http://www.flir.com/cores/content/?id=74595

BTW, the Boson is half the size, one tenth the volume, one seventh the weight and twice as power efficient as the previous model made by FLIR which was called the TAU 2

Originally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: crowkiller51Skypup what happened to your Flaming Squirrel?

BTW, FLIR's new 12um long IR wavelength Boson VOx core was just announced and the spec's are superb!
smile.gif

http://www.flir.com/cores/content/?id=74595

BTW, the Boson is half the size, one tenth the volume, one seventh the weight and twice as power efficient as the previous model made by FLIR which was called the TAU 2

Yeah, looks like it should be super nice. Though if your a lowly night time civilian hunter, just make sure you don't buy it in a government/military configuration or else you'll never get an update to your gear.

Guess I'll have to wait until it filters down to the consumer lines (i.e. future RS line or whatever they end up calling their next generation consumer products).

Regards,

G.
Consumer Advocate

We do have a lot of successful night hunts and it was time to celebrate with a big party.

Cooked out two whole hogs on the BBQ smoker over live oak coals. Lite up the BBQ the previous day at 2PM and kept the temp at 200*F over night slow smoking, then cut up each of the four 1/2 hog sections and put them in deep marinade in large tin foil pans when I woke up and let that simmer until noon. Turned up the heat to 240*F and let that sit for two hours and then back down to 200*F again.

Party started at 6PM and we had two live Blues Bands in the old Pole Barn and served 225 people shrimp boil mixed with 80 pounds of wild hog sausages and did ribs and pulled pork off the two whole hogs in the smoker, about 280 some odd pounds of meat.

Everyone had a great time and there was no wild boar left.....all four beer kegs emptied.

Cooker.jpg

Cooking.jpg

Cook%20Out.jpg

Cook%20Out%202.jpg

200%20Lb%20Cooked%20Pork.jpg

Shrimp%20Boil%20and%20Sausage2.jpg

Shrimp%20Boil%20and%20Sausage.jpg

After a good time was had by all, went out to the feeders to download some game cam pics this morning and heard some grunting in the brush behind me and managed to get a head shot on this nice little Snacker!

Hondidni%20Hog.jpg

Then was headed over to another game cam and saw three coyotes chasing a hen turkey in a clear cut, managed to take out one of them with my KAC SBR running at 150 yards out!

Coyote.jpg

Now that we ate up all those hogs, will have to go out and get some more.

In fact that is just what I have in mind with these big .308 sized hogs that showed up on my game cam feeder in the backyard, the one with the black head will soon have my cross-hair on his ear!!!
thumbup1.gif

Feeder%20Hogs.jpg

Finally able to up my game with these two new SBR builds, each has a Truijicon ACOG 4X32mm TAO2 with a Truijicon 1 MOA RMR red dot sight so I am able to swap my FLIR T-70 thermals and DBAL lasers back and forth at will.

The Knight Armament KAC-15 Mod3 SBR has a Gemtech Trek Titanium 5.56mm can on it and the HK Competition MR556 has a Delta P Brevis II Titanium 5.56mm can on it.

And I am after some very big hogs here now too!

HK%20SBR%20DeltaP%20Brevis.jpg

HK%20SBR%20DeltaP%20BrevisB.jpg

KAC15%20SBR%20Gemtech%20Trek.jpg

KAC15%20SBR%20Gemtech%20Trek%20B.jpg

KAC15%20SBR%20Gemtech%20Trek%20C.jpg

It is kind of amazing just how super accurate these two SBRs are, I had no idea they would shoot this good with my hand loaded Barnes 70 grain TSX pills.

But so thankful for the cans on them as they simply are way too loud unsuppressed.

Excellent review of human night vision, could not have said it better myself!
thumbup1.gif

http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/0...n/#32a0e22b72e0

"Animals with all-rod eyes tend to be active at night. Some animals, like cats, have a membrane at the retina called the tapedum, which is like a “trampoline for photons”. Any photons that enter the eye and are not absorbed bounce along the tapedum. This gives them an additional chance to find a photoreceptor. This is also why the eyes of these animals “glow in the dark.” Some of the bright light you shine in their eyes bounces back at you.

Exclusively night animals who have no cones cannot see red light. This is why, when they are displayed in dark rooms at the zoo, the animal thinks it’s night. But you, using your cones, can see in red light. So you can see the animal in its cage."

Back