6x45 Load data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trail Boss (if you can find some): examples
223, 55 gr pill, 4 gr powder => 1003 fps (an expensive 22LR!)
With Trail Boss, it won't over-pressure.
The other end is the problem, under-pressure where pill gets stuck in the barrel.
With Trail Boss, starting loads are high (supersonic)and work down to subsonic.
Subsonic loads hit a couple feet low at 100 yards vs laser loads, fwiw...

Thanks!

Got some loads up for testing tomorrow.
24" Lilja
80 grs BTTSX / without the tip.
VV N530

After reading all 14 pages and some burn rates I believe I have started a bit low. Was hoping for 2800fps+

I was able to run some loads over a chronograph a few days ago. These were fired in an AR built around an AR-Stoner 20" 1-8 5R barrel.

First loads were AR-Comp behind an 85 gr Sierra BTHP GK bullet. LC cases and Tula SRM primer. 2.260 OAL
24 gr - 2669 fps, 40 ES
24.5 gr - 2714 fps, 29 ES
25 gr - 2740, 17 ES

25 gr H335 - 2728 fps, 32 ES

The AR-Comp 25 gr load is slightly compressed. Just starts to show slight signs of pressure.

90 gr Sierra FMJBT, LC Cases, Tula SRM primer, 2.260 OAL
22.1 gr 2200 - 2585 fps, 25 ES

55 gr Nosler Varmageddon, LC cases, Tula SRM primer, 2.260 OAL
26 gr 2200 - 3263 fps, 22 ES
This load is mild. It would not lock the bolt back on an empty mag a couple of times. Lots of fun. Will blow up anything it hits.

These loads are safe in my rifle Usual disclaimers apply.

Last edited:
So I was going through my powder stash and noticed a couple of pounds of Alliant 1200-R left over when I used to play with the .277 WLV. It's supposed to be close to AA2200 in burning rate.

Anyone try 1200-R in a 6x45 yet?

Have you guys used any of the Enduron powders yet? I just got some to try w/ my 223 and 6.5 CM.
I will have to work up a load for my 6x45 and report...

FWIW, loaded up some IMR4166 Enduron with Nosler 70 grain bullets for my 6x45 rifle a couple of days ago. Meant to shoot them today, but didn't. However, I have had some decent results for accuracy with the IMR4166 in my reloads for the .223 and .308. Haven't used the powder much....kinda pricey compared to other powders I normally prefer.

Yesterday I decided to run a few different 6x45 loads over a chronograph. My goal was to load some different powders I had on hand to get baseline pressure and velocities. I chose loads that I thought would be safe in my gun.

These loads were fired through an AR-15 built around a Midway AR Stoner 5R 20” barrel. None of the loads showed signs of excessive pressure and seem to have room for development. All were loaded to mag length, 2.260”. Mixed cases and Tula SR Magnum primers. All functioned perfectly in my gun.

Conditions were not great. Temp was 99 degrees. (HOT)

I only used two bullets. First was the Sierra 90 gr GK FMJBT. My goal was around 2,600 fps with this bullet. No problem.

1. 22.1 gr Alliant 1200-R, Avg velocity 2554 fps, ES 73.7
2. 24 gr Varget, Avg velocity 2486 fps , ES 38.1
3. 23.6 gr 8208 XBR, Average velocity 2622 fps, ES 34.7
4. 24 gr TAC, Average velocity 2591 fps, ES 9.4
5. 24 gr AR-Comp, Average velocity 2662 fps, ES 62

The low ES of the TAC load was a pleasant surprise. Think that will be the first powder I work with. It’s also a great powder for my 77 gr 5.56 loads.

I also fired a few rounds using the 55 gr Nosler Varmageddon. This bullet is fun and blows up anything it hits.

1. 26 gr 1200-R, Average Velocity 3277 fps, ES 12

Hope this is helpful.

Those look good. Speeds are reasonable. For grins could you post up your case volume average on three same HS fired cases. I want to compare my Winchesters to others.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterThose look good. Speeds are reasonable. For grins could you post up your case volume average on three same HS fired cases. I want to compare my Winchesters to others.

Greg

Sure Greg. The majority of my cases are LC surplus and RP. This was the first time I tried measuring case capacity. I weighed the cases empty then filled with water. The weights listed are the difference.

Average for the LC was 32.47 gr. Average for the RP was 32.27

How does the Winchester compare?

Originally Posted By: cb4017Originally Posted By: GLShooterThose look good. Speeds are reasonable. For grins could you post up your case volume average on three same HS fired cases. I want to compare my Winchesters to others.

Greg

Sure Greg. The majority of my cases are LC surplus and RP. This was the first time I tried measuring case capacity. I weighed the cases empty then filled with water. The weights listed are the difference.

Average for the LC was 32.47 gr. Average for the RP was 32.27

How does the Winchester compare?

Thank you so much. You have no idea how much those numbers mean to me. I'm doing a number crunch with QL and needed some real world numbers vs the "computer model" stuff. BTW my Winchester commercial cases are 32.8.

Greg

As you can tell, I am new on the site, But have been lurking and doing quite a bit of reading..

I have aquired a 16.5" contender barrel in 6-45 an my question is about dies.. Any brand better than other do i "need" a crimp die ?? I do not plan on building an AR at this time..

Also am looking for load data for 16.5" ,Does it exist ????

Regards,Harley

Welcome to PM Harley

I use the Redding dies and a crimp die is not needed!! Just pick your bullet and powder and use the normal data, barrel length makes no difference. just work up a load as normal.

Welcome to PM Harley

I use the Redding dies and a crimp die is not needed!! Just pick your bullet and powder and use the normal data, barrel length makes no difference. just work up a load as normal.

XBR8208 and Benchmark are good powders for the 6x45

Originally Posted By: Harley1340As you can tell, I am new on the site, But have been lurking and doing quite a bit of reading..

I have aquired a 16.5" contender barrel in 6-45 an my question is about dies.. Any brand better than other do i "need" a crimp die ?? I do not plan on building an AR at this time..

Also am looking for load data for 16.5" ,Does it exist ????

Regards,Harley

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

No, you wont find data for the barrel, just the load itself (i.e. xxx grains of powder using xxx grain bullet). What you may find is someone who shot those loads out of that barrel, and they can at least tell you how fast and what type of accuracy they are shooting. I have never seen a load specific to a barrel, its all standard to they type of bullet and powder.

As far as crimp (and its been a while since I've look) most dies that I know of have the crimp function. When setting it up, you either set it up to crimp or not to crimp, that's your choice. If you're building a bolt action rifle, don't worry about crimping them. I have hundreds of 6x45's loaded up, not a single crimp on any of them, and no issues.

Brands for dies are all personal preference as well. I have a mix of RCBS and Hornady dies, but you also have Lee, Redding and a few other brands out there. Personally, I like RCBS, but other may tell you they suck and go with brand X instead. If you don't know what brand to get, I'm sure plenty of people here will offer their opinions, or you can take a look around the internet, lots of information to read up on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back