February 24th bobcat.

Man, I'm glad to hear someone else has a love hate relationship to this darned thing!
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerOriginally Posted By: TheBig1What caliber gun is that? It's a Ruger M77 MarkII .223,I shot that cat with a Hornady 52gr. BTHP. I've killed quite a few with that bullet and it's really good on the fur.

Did the BTHP destroy much fur on the neck? Does it exit on broadside shots? (Coyotes or Bobcats)

I have trapped a few Bobcats but never shot one. Don't want to destroy it when I do!

Nice cat by the way!

Originally Posted By: SoftpointOriginally Posted By: OKRattlerOriginally Posted By: TheBig1What caliber gun is that? It's a Ruger M77 MarkII .223,I shot that cat with a Hornady 52gr. BTHP. I've killed quite a few with that bullet and it's really good on the fur.

Did the BTHP destroy much fur on the neck? Does it exit on broadside shots? (Coyotes or Bobcats)

I have trapped a few Bobcats but never shot one. Don't want to destroy it when I do!

Nice cat by the way! No not at all. That wasn't the first bobcat I've shot in the neck with those bullets and have never tore one up. Not just neck shots but chest and broadside shots through the shoulder. Roughly dime sized exits on broadside shots. The only time I've ever had trouble with them tearing something up is when I've hit the edges of a coyote (spine shot especially) or gut shots. But that's about normal for any bullet. Pretty much every bobcat I've shot with these bullets has been fairly close (35-50 yards) but the majority were a facing chest shot so all of the bullets energy was dumped inside of their body without leaving an exit wound. I've only had one runner and it didn't run but 10 yards or so before piling up.

Way to go rattler "man" I could only guess your in your "twenties"??? But gotta give you some props..your a "killer" and can tell you love it!!! I'm 50, but I really doubt I would be able to keep up with "ya"...keep at it...lol, a young 50!!!!

Originally Posted By: SoftpointThanks OKRattler. Very useful info. I'm going to load some up for next year. How fast are you coming out of the barrel? To be honest I'm not sure. I've never shot any of my rifles through a chronograph. If they kill predators consistently with minimal fur damage I just keep shooting them. I've used several but have always went back to the Hornady 52gr BTHP.

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvWay to go rattler "man" I could only guess your in your "twenties"??? But gotta give you some props..your a "killer" and can tell you love it!!! I'm 50, but I really doubt I would be able to keep up with "ya"...keep at it...lol, a young 50!!!! Yes sir,I'm 26 years old. I appreciate it man,I really do love predator huntin. I just pulled an all nighter in Texas for a varmint hunt. 50 ain't old man you could handle it. 24 hours of shootin coyotes,jackrabbits and hogs ain't nothin. I literally just saw two coyotes cross the road. Makes me want to get back out there. I could do it all again,no problem. I live for this stuff.

Back